Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New here, a few questions:

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

New here, a few questions:

Postby electrogames » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Hello,

I am new here and have a few questions. That being said, I should probably introduce myself. My name is Shawn and have been collecting Lego off and on for many years. I love the Star Wars theme the best. I am in my mid thirties (an AFOL), college educated, and enjoy collecting many different types of antiques and collectibles. My eBay user name is electrogames.

First, what is the best way to obtain the special promotional minifigures (i.e. Shadow Trooper, Chrome Darth Vader/Storm Trooper, and the White Boba Fett)?

Second, what is the best way to sell a massive collection of Star Wars Lego without a lot of the minifigures? I have all the boxes and manuals to all the sets, but only about eleven or so original Star Wars mninifigs (I bought the sets solely for the minifigs). Some of the sets are sealed in their original plastic bags! They are mint. I haven't had much luck with 'brick link' and eBay is a challenge. Any thoughts?

Finally, how long is the license for Lego Star Wars renewed for?

I thank you all for your time. This is a great site full of knowledge!

Sincerely,

Shawn
electrogames

Re: New here, a few questions:

Postby SirBasilAshton » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:12 am

Hi and welcome to FBTB.

The best way to obtain the special promotional minifigures is when they're available to the public such as during the annual May the Fourth promo or if you attend any of the big events such as Toy Fair, SDCC, NYCC, or SW Celebration. You can always obtain these through Bricklink or eBay but there will be a mark-up.

The best way to sell a massive collection depends on you. I've sold on both eBay and Bricklink. I'm doing neither at the moment. Consider the following:

- If you need money fast, you can sell on eBay. You sell on there so you know the pros and cons.

- It took me a few years before I started selling on Bricklink and if you have the time, to me it's the way to go. You know that people genuinely interested in LEGO will be on the site and it made me feel like I was selling to a client base that really wanted the LEGO I was selling. I love that a lower percentage of fees are taken out compared to eBay.

Since you wrote that you hadn't had luck with Bricklink, maybe it was the prices you were asking. Could you provide more info on your experience?
SirBasilAshton

Postby Sidreco » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 am

The license just got renewed for another 10 years.
(yeah!)
Sidreco

Postby electrogames » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:59 pm

SirBasilAshton wrote:Hi and welcome to FBTB.

The best way to obtain the special promotional minifigures is when they're available to the public such as during the annual May the Fourth promo or if you attend any of the big events such as Toy Fair, SDCC, NYCC, or SW Celebration. You can always obtain these through Bricklink or eBay but there will be a mark-up.

The best way to sell a massive collection depends on you. I've sold on both eBay and Bricklink. I'm doing neither at the moment. Consider the following:

- If you need money fast, you can sell on eBay. You sell on there so you know the pros and cons.

- It took me a few years before I started selling on Bricklink and if you have the time, to me it's the way to go. You know that people genuinely interested in LEGO will be on the site and it made me feel like I was selling to a client base that really wanted the LEGO I was selling. I love that a lower percentage of fees are taken out compared to eBay.

Since you wrote that you hadn't had luck with Bricklink, maybe it was the prices you were asking. Could you provide more info on your experience?

Absolutely! First, my mistake may be that I do not sell to international buyers because I have always been cautious about the whole 'PayPal buyer protection' fraud that seems to affect transactions outside the United States. Even on eBay, I currently only sell to the US.

As to my prices, they were 15-20% lower than the six month average quantity prices as calculated by bricklink. In some cases I was a whole 33% lower and I didn't sell much at all. This surprised me.

Any advice is appreciated. I would love to sell off these sets. Even if they need to be sold as parts becasue I kept the minifigs.

Thanks again!
electrogames

Return to Star Wars