Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars 2013 Planet Series Revealed

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Star Wars 2013 Planet Series Revealed

Postby Staff » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:07 pm

We now have unwatermarked images to share with you regarding next year's Star Wars Planets series. The set list is as follows:

• 75006 Jedi Starfighter & Kamino

• 75007 Republic Assault Ship & Planet Coruscant

• 75008 TIE Bomber & Asteroid Field

• 75009 Snowspeeder & Planet Hoth

• 75010 B-wing Starfighter & Planet Endor

• 75011 Tantive IV & Alderaan

The best one so far? 75010 B-wing Starfighter & Planet Endor. That pilot is so tasty. More images after the jump.

75007 75008
75009 75010

via Groove Bricks via Brickipedia
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/10/21/star-wars-2013-planet-series-revealed/
Staff

Re: Star Wars 2013 Planet Series Revealed

Postby Chosen One » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:58 pm

I don't know about these planet sets. I'm seeing them as wasted oppertunity to have given us some cool figures, like an AT-AT driver, some Jedis, some EU characters... The models are nice, but another clone and Tie Pilot? They could have put Mara Jade with the Tie-Bomber, or an Imperial officer, or an Imperial gunner.
Chosen One

Postby jmm7375 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:07 am

Not sure what the appeal of these sets are...Maybe Lego group knows something we don't. I got one as a gift and I couldn't have been more disappointed. Would have rather spent the money on a minifig I actually wanted then to own this set.
jmm7375

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:13 am

I like them. I'm more interested in building stuff than the minifigures, and I like mini models. My only problem is that I feel they are too expensive- so I only get them on sale.
Mister Ed

Postby dWhisper » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:21 am

I actually love being able to get TIE Pilots and Clones at a decent price. It's very nice. What's weird about the planets sets is that, by themselves, they're actually fairly terrible. An asteroid field on a sphere is just silly.

But, break them apart, and you have all kinds of promise. That same field would look great in a tactical display of a capital ship, and there are enough figures and parts to justify these, especially if you can pick them up on a slight sale (I think $8 would be a sweet price point for these).

I also wish that LEGO would show a bit of humor with some of these. Giving us Alderaan as a pile of 1x1 studs instead of an actual planet would have just been wonderful...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Gandalf1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:30 am

Hehe, asteroid field... Why not an asteroid?
"I am to metaphor cheese as metaphor cheese is to transitive verb crackers."
Gandalf1

Postby naugem » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:08 am

As sets I'm not much interested in the planets, so it all depends on the figures.
I really have to want a figure a lot for me to buy one of these, and that R4 might just do it. When it's on sale.
naugem

Postby Draykov » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:15 am

Gandalf1 wrote:Hehe, asteroid field... Why not an asteroid?

My guess is because the only thing lamer than a black field is a perfectly spherical asteroid.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:25 am

i wonder if the cost would be any cheaper if they didn't include the actual planet.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:37 am

onions wrote:i wonder if the cost would be any cheaper if they didn't include the actual planet.

I would hope so. I can't imagine that sales wouldn't suffer if they DIDN'T have a lower price point, minus the planet.

Personally, and I know I'm probably an oddball in this respect, but I'd be happier if the sets had the planet, but contained two minis, and no fig. Depending on the size of the minis, I might even be willing to pay a bit MORE than the current asking price vs. refusing to buy it if it isn't on sale like I do now.

(I suppose, even with as little focus as I tend to put on the figs, if these served as a vehicle for getting rare, unique figs (Amidala, Ackbar, Lando, etc.) in a cheaper set, I might not find the fig aspect so easily disposable. But as it is...whatever, give me more to build, for that price.)
Mister Ed

Postby Ibiscribe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:53 am

So instead of a bunch of LEGO rocks, or a sphere with an asteroid-y texture, the "asteroid field" is a black sphere with gray dots? :|
The Coruscant one does look pretty cool, though. Actually, it would be neat if that orange-y color glowed in the dark.
Ibiscribe

Postby Brainslugged » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:14 am

These seem to have changed since I saw them on the link Gooker posted to HothBricks. The B-wing pilot's print is so much better now, but his helmet seems to have got a lot more boring. I can't find the low-res shots any more to compare though.

And I agree with the others who couldn't really care less about the actual planets, although the Death Star was cool. For me, 80% of the value of these sets is in the minifigure so give us some guys we're unlikely to get anywhere else. Also, surely they're gonna run out of planets pretty rapidly this way.
Brainslugged

Postby onions » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:08 pm

the strange thing about these planet sets is that they are 2 dollars cheaper than a battlepack, yet contain roughly the same amount of pieces and 3 less minifigs. if we're to believe that minifigs are really expensive to make, i'm thinking they could probably sell the planet sets for even cheaper.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Dendo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:33 pm

I love the idea of a mini sets mixed with minifigs as long as they are ones that haven't been overdone. This group at least has some better mini models. Funny thing is that I don't even look at the planets anymore, so I didn't notice the asteroid field until reading this thread. That is too funny! If I weren't so anal about keeping the sets whole, I would just give the planets to my kids - I don't really know what to do with them.
Dendo

Postby banthafodder » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Dendo wrote: I don't really know what to do with them.

You could have a game of bocce ball.
banthafodder

Postby mcs4616 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Endor again? Well that didn't take long . . .
mcs4616

Postby gomek » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:52 am

I don't know about these planet sets. I'm seeing them as wasted opportunity to have given us some cool figures

This.

I really don't understand what Lego is doing with this. It seemed like a thinly veiled attempt to get around the minifigure/action figure licensing problem, but at the end of the day, they keep trying to sell me minifigs I already have.

Lobot - Great.. I really wanted this one.
B-Wing Pilot - Nice upgrade, at least I didn't have to miss out because it was in the UCS.
All others - Have it; pointless.

(Also should be noted I only collect original trilogy, since I do my best to forget the prequels exist)
gomek

Postby thepatient » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:02 am

I like these sets, and I even like the planets. Since I began collecting LEGO Star Wars in '99, I've watched space dwindle and shrink in my "LEGO cave". Now space is a premium in there.

These Series sets are a nice price and are small. I can buy one or two and not feel that it's necessary to spend a weekend re-arranging the entire room (which is what happens when building a standard set).

The only thing bugging me is that the Endor set says, "...Planet Endor." Wasn't Endor a moon? Was the planet that this moon orbits also named Endor? I did a little digging in my reference books, but wasn't able to find the name of the planet, only that it's located in the Moddell system. (Star Wars Complete Locations, DK Books)
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby onions » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:16 am

they refer to the orb that they are trying to land on as "the forest moon of endor"
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 am

thepatient wrote:The only thing bugging me is that the Endor set says, "...Planet Endor." Wasn't Endor a moon? Was the planet that this moon orbits also named Endor? I did a little digging in my reference books, but wasn't able to find the name of the planet, only that it's located in the Moddell system. (Star Wars Complete Locations, DK Books)

Endor was in fact the name of the planet, and the shield generator was located on one of its moons. According to Wookieepedia, the name of the moon is Endor as well. Also, there was an Ewok holocaust, but only if you're a Saxtonite. XD
fallenangel327

Next

Return to Star Wars