Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2013 Super Heroes and Star Wars Sets Surface on World of Games

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: 2013 Super Heroes and Star Wars Sets Surface on World of

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:30 pm

I will definitely be grabbing both of those super heroes sets! The minifigures alone look great (Aquaman venom and nick fury), and they look pretty nice anyway. The Spidercycle looks nothing like it does in the TV show though. Lastly, is there a reason that you don't have these pics on flickr? I would like to see those superheroes ones close up.

Gooker1 wrote:HothBricks also has the lineup and photos of next two Planet Series too!!:

http://www.hothbricks.com/

-Obi-wans Jedi Interceptor - Droid, but not R4?
-Star Destroyer? - Clone Trooper?
-Tie Bomber - Tie Pilot

-Snowspeeder - Snowspeeder Pilot
-B-Wing - B-wing Pilot
-Rebel Blockade Runner - Rebel Soldier

I'm excited for the planets sets!

I think that the B-wing looks great, in those planets. The rest are sort of meh.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby sparkart » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:05 pm

I think it's hilarious that Aquaman is getting a minfig. Maybe it's just my formative memories of him were from the Superfriends cartoons, where Aquaman's participation was so contrived. I mean, he should be a cool character, a monarch of a deadly and exotic kingdom with one of the coolest arch-enemies, BLACK MANTA! But seeing him tag along in the Superfriends adventures was just weird.

There must be some kinda aqua-directive at LEGO headquarters. I mean, they've got all these Atlantis sets and sea creatures being manufactured...they must be asking, "How can we get more amortization from the tooling of these sea creatures?"

"We just need to come up with more aquatic sets in our ongoing themes."
"Well, we've got that Star Wars sub, that Gunga Din submarine."
"Everyone hated that movie. And Gunga Din is a Kipling story."
"We'll put the Queen Amidala figure in the Gunga Din submarine set. And we've got the Superheroes..."
"Oh, yeah, the elves ears from Lord of the Rings would make for a great Namor!"
"Too easy, let the AFOLs do that one. How about Aquaman?"
"I can't think of anything."
"Batman and Aquaman."
"Make sure Aquaman is in the Batman video game!"
sparkart

Postby banthafodder » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Well it looks like we now know how the asteroid field is going to look. Pretty much like a bowling ball.
banthafodder

Postby Flynn » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Draykov wrote:
Flynn wrote:Why else do you think Amidala was packaged with the Gungan Sub of all things?

That one you can kind of forgive, because it's a high-demand figure among collectors/AFOLs and the sub actually did park in the Naboo royal city, so...loose connection.

It's actually the most egregious example of this sort of thing for me, because it's fairly obvious the only reason she's crammed into the set is because they know she's a high-demand figure and the sub is a low-demand set. So instead of a) Making the sub more appealing on its own or b) not making the sub in the first place and instead choosing something more fitting for Amidala, they package the two together as a marketing move.

It's good business, but not good design.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby bobalego » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:41 am

The Chima sets seem more interesting to me than the Star Wars sets...
bobalego

Postby Mister Ed » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:47 am

Flynn wrote:
Draykov wrote:
Flynn wrote:Why else do you think Amidala was packaged with the Gungan Sub of all things?

That one you can kind of forgive, because it's a high-demand figure among collectors/AFOLs and the sub actually did park in the Naboo royal city, so...loose connection.

It's actually the most egregious example of this sort of thing for me, because it's fairly obvious the only reason she's crammed into the set is because they know she's a high-demand figure and the sub is a low-demand set. So instead of a) Making the sub more appealing on its own or b) not making the sub in the first place and instead choosing something more fitting for Amidala, they package the two together as a marketing move.

It's good business, but not good design.

But what WOULD be more fitting? The only things I can think of are her starship (which would never, ever get made due to the chrome factor) or some sort of throne room scene (which would be very, very boring). I'm curious what set you would suggest she be put it. I certainly agree that there isn't a good reason to put her in the sub set, but only the desire to put her in SOMETHING.

I suppose you could put her in a new AAT set, with a window for her to look out of at it.
Mister Ed

Postby wegj » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:29 am

WOW, the superheroes sets are fantastic and looked packed with must-have figures. These look like another set of 20$ sets, any word on the prices?
WEGJ –keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models and Minifigs
wegj

Postby Flynn » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:37 am

She would've fit in the last Naboo Starfighter, as a sort of "hangar escape" set, or a throne room playset (I'm thinking of the end battle there, with both Padme and her double).

She might also have worked in the planets line, pairing her with a mini starship (which could be made metallic instead of full-out chrome).
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Mister Ed » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:50 am

Flynn wrote:She might also have worked in the planets line, pairing her with a mini starship (which could be made metallic instead of full-out chrome).

That would be outstanding. Darn, it'll never happen now, since they already did Naboo.
Mister Ed

Postby Flynn » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Yeah, I've complained before on the SW line's increased focus on minfigures (and I do think it's a problem), but the planet series seems the perfect solution to that- a line of cheap sets whose primary focus is pretty much the figure (since a lot of the minis are rehashes and the planets are novelties). It's the perfect opportunity to put figures that wouldn't have a place in actual sets- Lobot, Amidala, etc, and then let the larger sets pull focus back to themselves.

It's just a shame they're wasting it on Imperial/Rebel soldiers...

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Yodalicious » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:46 am

Besides Lobot, aren't the other planet series minifigs randoms and not named characters though? Seems unlikely (unfortunately) that they'd ever put someone as big as Amidala in one.
Yodalicious

Postby Flynn » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Yeah, that's my issue with the line is that they're filling it with 'army builder' figures instead of specific character (Sebulba and Lobot being the only exceptions).

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby BCTom » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:52 am

Is the Rancor Pit designed to connect to the bottom of the Jabba's Palace set?
BCTom

Postby onions » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:51 am

BCTom wrote:Is the Rancor Pit designed to connect to the bottom of the Jabba's Palace set?

yes
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Ibiscribe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:08 am

There are some other good pictures floating around, and I have to say that the Rancor actually looks a lot better than I expected. The hinged fingers and jaw are a nice touch. I had told myself that I wasn't going to buy any of the Star Wars animals, but now that I've seen this I don't think that resolution is going to last into next year.
Ibiscribe

Postby Yodalicious » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:19 am

Flynn wrote:Yeah, that's my issue with the line is that they're filling it with 'army builder' figures instead of specific character (Sebulba and Lobot being the only exceptions).

Exactly, and at that price point it's a little ridiculous that it's not named characters. Also considering the price of the battle packs as a comparison.
Yodalicious

Postby Drock » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:36 pm

wegj wrote:WOW, the superheroes sets are fantastic and looked packed with must-have figures. These look like another set of 20$ sets, any word on the prices?

€26, which pretty much translates to $20 in the US
Drock

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes