Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[NYCC] LEGO Previews 76005 Spider-Man: Daily Bugle Showdown

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

[NYCC] LEGO Previews 76005 Spider-Man: Daily Bugle Showdown

Postby Staff » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:16 am

76005_prod

This set will be unveiled at the 2012 New York Comic Con either on Thursday October 11 or Saturday October 13. Rick "GIR3691" Theoroux will be there to shoot pictures and provide a first hand impression of the set.

I have no frame of reference from this set but I imagine it's based on the cartoon like 6873 Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush set is. At least now we know what set Doctor Doom comes in.

76005_box1_na

Marvel Super Heroes
Spider-Man ™: Daily Bugle Showdown
$49.99
Piece Count: 476
Minifigures: Spider-Man, Doctor Doom, Jonah Jameson, Nova, Beetle

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/10/13/nycc-lego-previews-76005-spider-man-daily-bugle-showdown/
Staff

Re: [NYCC] LEGO Previews 76005 Spider-Man: Daily Bugle Showd

Postby Jacopoli » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:49 am

That jet/helicopter looks so lazily built.
Jacopoli

Postby Mr. Zero » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Beautiful! What's not to like about this set!? Even those who hate Ultimate Spidey, which seems to be everyone bar the people that made it, have to admit that Lego did a pretty good job on this, right?
Mr. Zero

Postby Brickmythic » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:06 pm

I agree with Mr. Zero,

I like the set because it includes 5 quality minifigures, a decent COMPLETE building (not just a wall or door or mashed up scene) and a vehicle for children to swoosh.

For $49.99 the price isn't bad at all. considering most of us buy sets when they are bogo or 20% off or more, the average price will be around $43.

Similar price point to Avengers Helicarrier breakout and Batman Two Face chase but with arguably better minifigures.
Brickmythic

Postby Robzula » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Mr. Zero wrote:Beautiful! What's not to like about this set!?

The jet that looks like it was made 10 years ago, the big broken-up sticker mural out front, the Daily Bugle being a television broadcast company (although that's not really the fault of the set)
Brickmythic wrote:a decent COMPLETE building (not just a wall or door or mashed up scene)

The "inside" is only 4-5 studs deep with bare furnishing in order to imply a scene. No different than most LEGO buildings. The bank from Two-Face Chase, for example, has about the same base dimension as the DGC Building, it just lacks the upper stories (it also wasn't even the focus of the set).

All that said, however... it is a decent set with some great minifigs. I think my problem with it really lies in that I don't like the cartoon so I don't recognize this as a locale from it and therefor it doesn't feel like a Spider-man set, it feels like a nice City set with Spider-Man minifigs and a crappy jet.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Flynn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:46 pm

Yeah, that jet is just awful, IMO. Though I don't think it looks like it was made 10 years ago- given the quality of some of the sets then, it'd be an offense to lump it in with them.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby gomek » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:57 pm

I agree with most that this set is all about the minifigures, which is OK with me. And at least there is only one repeat and one variation (spider-man and J. Jonah Jameson respectively). That was my main issue with the avengers sets, some of the larger sets only had one or two unique figures which is just crazy. So at least I'm happy about that.

Honestly, I would have much rather have had a Fantastic Four or Dare Devil set than another spider-man set.
gomek

Return to Licensed Themes