Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[NYCC] LEGO Previews 76001 The Bat vs. Bane: Tumbler Chase

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

[NYCC] LEGO Previews 76001 The Bat vs. Bane: Tumbler Chase

Postby Staff » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:18 am

76001_prod

This set will be unveiled at the 2012 New York Comic Con either on Thursday October 11 or Saturday October 13. Rick "GIR3691" Theoroux will be there to shoot pictures and provide a first hand impression of the set.

My first impression? The Tumbler is tiny and makes the one from 7888 The Tumbler: Joker's Ice Cream Surprise look like the crown jewels. The stickers used for the details actually make it look worse. The Bat is actually more impressive than I had thought but the way the 'arms' are built, with the exposed turbines along with the cannons, just screams laziness. It looks like something I would build, and that's not saying a whole lot. I'm not crazy about all the blue; it reminds me of the original TIE Fighter set. Arms and blueness aside, I actually like the way it looks and can't wait to build it.

76001_box1_na

DC Super Heroes
The Bat v. Bane™: Tumbler chase
$39.99
Piece Count: 368
Minifigures: Batman, Bane, Commissioner Gordon

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/10/13/nycc-lego-previews-76001-the-bat-vs-bane-tumbler-chase/
Staff

Re: [NYCC] LEGO Previews 76001 The Bat vs. Bane: Tumbler Cha

Postby Drock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:43 am

Wowsers. Both vehicles - but especially the Bat - look "chibi" and cartoonish. They seem too silly for a set based on a movie that was so dark and realistic. Maybe LEGO tried to cartoon-ize them to be more marketable for kids? The Tumbler is just a tan Tumbler and not a proper camo Tumbler. I know we've been spoiled by looking at all of the great MOCs out there, but still...

I never really had interest in this set. I never really liked the looks of the vehicles in the Nolan films. So, I definitely won't be picking this up, unless I find the parts useful and find one really cheaply.
Drock

Postby batsamd » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 am

Drock wrote:Both vehicles - but especially the Bat - look "chibi"

That's a good way to describe these vehicles.

Not very impressed, but do like the price point. Guess that's why the vehicles look the way they do, to get two such complex designed vehicles for $40, something had to go and I guess the realistic nature of the vehicles was it.

Also not a big fan of The Bat in the film, but will probably pick this set up, on sale, as mentioned before, just for the minifigs.

Different Bane is nice and to finally get a Gordon figure I can't pass him up. Would've preferred a different outfit, but no Bat-fan can pass up the opportunity to own Gordon. :)

Still hoping for the Gotham City Police building with Commissioner Gordon in trenchcoat standing next to Bat-signal set.
batsamd

Postby Solo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:22 pm

Pics aren't showing up for me, what gives?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby wunztwice » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:42 am

Hey, all those who dislike the vehicles, but want the figs. I'll be sure to buy extras, you can buy the figs and I'll keep the rest to build with. I see lots of parts I would like to be using right now! ;)
in His grip,
Chris 'wunztwice' Wunz
wunztwice

Postby Flynn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:24 am

I honestly rather like the look of the set (and this is coming from someone who doesn't like many of the Nolan designs, especially the Tumbler). It seems to me they deliberately made them less realistic and more 'cartoonish' to fit within the aesthetic they've already had going in the rest of the DC line, which seems to me to be a good thing.

Don't know if I'll buy it, but it looks interesting.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby sparkart » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Okay, I can buy the aging down of the set for kids, but I can't be the only one that hates the blue highlights for this and any other set that's supposed to be black and shades of grey. I know the models of the Star Wars TIE fighters were really blue, but they were a very light powder blue that came out looking grey or white on-screen.

Is there some directive when they peer review/design these sets that they should try to use a variety of colors? Looks weird.
sparkart

Postby Marty » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Seriously no excuses here Lego designers, this, even if the reasons are to make it cheap, or dumb it down this just defies belief! This is the worst yet of the new Batman series.
The tumbler is quite simply a joke, I could make a better one, hell! Anyone could do better than that!
An I'm not talking fancy designs either.
The bat, although an improvement is amateurish, all that's left is the figures, and these are probably what will sell the set, that and the fact is it's cheap way to get Gordon, Batman & the new Bane.

Not by any means a good set.
Marty

Postby Mr. Zero » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Seems like a lot of people are raging about this set. I'm one of them. But seriously, what did we expect out of this set for a price that we all knew was going to be at least half accessible to kids? Lego should have made two different sets, one with a tumbler, one with the bat. It feels like they've squashed the x-wing and tie fighter into one set, it just shouldn't be done.

Haaaaving said all this.. I'm still getting it, if not because I'm a raving collector then for the Gordon minifig that comes with it. Gotta love the Commish.
Mr. Zero

Postby Flynn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Mr. Zero wrote:t feels like they've squashed the x-wing and tie fighter into one set, it just shouldn't be done.

;)

Yeah, it's a Y-Wing, but still...
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Chosen One » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:04 pm

I understand Lego's design of this set, but when looking at Dr Doom's plane, it makes me wonder if Lego shifted it's more expereinced designers onto other themes?
Chosen One

Postby cas » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Chosen One wrote:it makes me wonder if Lego shifted it's more expereinced designers onto other themes?

This is a thought I had. These superhero sets look like they were designed 10 years ago. I don't find them particularly bad, but lacking, especially in the light of some many recent sets being exceptionally well designed.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Chosen One » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Mind you, did you see the new police helicopter has studded blades. So odd.
Chosen One

Postby Flynn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:08 pm

cas wrote:This is a thought I had. These superhero sets look like they were designed 10 years ago. I don't find them particularly bad, but lacking, especially in the light of some many recent sets being exceptionally well designed.

I presume we're excepting Arkham Asylum, Joker's Funhouse, the Lex Luthor mech, and about half of the Marvel sets?

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Sharpie Clone » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:40 am

I was really looking forward to another Tumbler since I missed out before, but will probably opt for a custom version or try to scratch up the instructions and build it myself.
Sharpie Clone

Postby onions » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:38 am

i might be the only one that's looking forward to the bat.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Robzula » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:12 pm

cas wrote:These superhero sets look like they were designed 10 years ago.

This. I came here post exactly this but you beat me to it. They just... They look like toys.
Flynn wrote:I presume we're excepting Arkham Asylum, Joker's Funhouse, the Lex Luthor mech, and about half of the Marvel sets?

I'm assuming Cas' quote is directed at this and the Spider-man set. The Batman DC Universe line may have been based on sets from years ago but they still looked modern.

Although, I actually do like the design and especially size of the Tumbler (that thing really isn't all that big), aside from the windshield... It would look much better if it came in black.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Flynn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:53 pm

Robzula wrote:They just... They look like toys.

Aren't they, though?

And my comment was referring to cas's indication that the superhero sets were 'lacking' in comparison to other current sets, with my examples being exceptions to that rule (though if was referring solely to the newly-announced ones, I missed that).

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Mr.Zsasz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:17 am

Yep, as if the first Tumbler wasn't bad enough.
Mr.Zsasz

Postby Chosen One » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:01 am

I'm not fond of the designs, but I'm still getting it, and it will still do well on the shelves as...

A) For those that MOC, too many wonderful pieces.

B) Most likely once off movie Bane and Swat Gordon.

C) Second chance to get a grey DK Batman. (Wish it was black though, curses Lego!)

D) Kids will love it, parents that think their kids will love it, they'll love it too.

E) The above with the price.
Chosen One

Next

Return to Licensed Themes