Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Designer Video For Arkham Asylum Breakout

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO Designer Video For Arkham Asylum Breakout

Postby Staff » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:19 am

Marcos Bessa gives a breakdown of next years LEGO exclusive DC Universe set and discusses what his influences were in its design. I found it interesting that the designer of the original Arkham set was actually a mentor to Marcos.

Thanks to ninnymuggins for the heads up!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/10/08/lego-designer-video-for-arkham-asylum-breakout/
Staff

Re: LEGO Designer Video For Arkham Asylum Breakout

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am

Thanks for posting the video!! I'd love to hear what other easter eggs or nods to the comics, tv show, etc he included in the set. Can't wait for this sucker!
Gooker1

Postby Mr. Zero » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:44 am

So weird! I checked fbtb before this was posted, went and watched a very similar video and then came back to this site (call me obsessive) and it was uploaded!

Back to business, I'm so happy that they included the 2X2 tiles with the other villains on, there's only so many times you can lock up the Joker and Scarecrow. Cannot wait for this set!
Mr. Zero

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Mr. Zero wrote:So weird! I checked fbtb before this was posted, went and watched a very similar video and then came back to this site (call me obsessive) and it was uploaded!

Back to business, I'm so happy that they included the 2X2 tiles with the other villains on, there's only so many times you can lock up the Joker and Scarecrow. Cannot wait for this set!

Tiles? More likely stickers. :( Ugh. haha
Gooker1

Postby Mr. Zero » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:06 pm

Okay, so stickers on tiles. But for $159.99/£129.99 you would hope lego would make an effort. I'll keep on dreaming...
Mr. Zero

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Well, technically they're not even tiles. They're those square pieces with a clip on the back which they used on the first AT-ST. ;)

As for the easter eggs, I think he's referring to the red Batphone (which is a reference to the 60's Batman tv show). Can't see any other references, but then again I'm not an expert on the comics.
Last edited by Oky Wan Kenobi on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby dodge » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:16 pm

This set does look quite nice! Good work for a fan-turned-designer if what he says is true.

The stickers with other characters besides those it comes with is a smart idea; one of the drawbacks of the current Batcave I would say.

The front gate looks great though, like he says around the 3:35 mark, it would be neat to have the arch across the top with the name on it. And what piece are the wings behind the key-keeper? Something new?

Overall, very nice, but not sure if I can drop the $210 CAN on it. Might find someone to go halvies with me.
dodge

Postby Sharpie Clone » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Dang it! I was going to be pretty content not to buy this, but the video makes it look really cool and he didn't even go over everything. Ack! Too many things, not enough $$$ or room.
Sharpie Clone

Postby Robzula » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:27 pm

You know, I'd always wondered if there was something more than just random letters and numbers to those license plate. I also found it very interesting to see how he included those homages to the previous incarnation. Very neat video.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby sparkart » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:37 am

Nice bits of trivia shared in the video; he was able to "sign" the set with the license plate, cool. I really luv how there are little details for die-hard Bat-fans to find. This really does seem like the set to start a monumental display of a Batman rogues gallery collection, with personalized cells for each bad-guy (or bad-grrl, heh, thought it was funny the way he said bad-grrl, like he was thinking of his girlfriend at the time, you know?).

Seems like an easy fix to put the Arkham Asylum sign atop the gate where it belongs, and how can you not love the dark angel figures at the gate? I'm not a big set buyer or builder, but if I can get a sale price or combo deal on this, I'm definitely picking one up.
sparkart

Return to Licensed Themes