Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Crisis

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Ultron32 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Trooper10 wrote:http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=41747px1 I was going to rub off the purple for use in other stuff, but it looked much better than plain grey wedges on the head.

Wow, that's one nice looking piece.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:45 am

Let's see...so far there are:
2 heroes
----and----
4 villians

so if there are twice as many villains as heroes, then each individual hero has a better chance of winning. interesting.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby volumex » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Ultron32 wrote:Let's see...so far there are:
2 heroes
----and----
4 villians

so if there are twice as many villains as heroes, then each individual hero has a better chance of winning. interesting.


Still early days, so no need for any speculation, the Secret Crisis' shall unfold.... ;)
volumex
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:50 pm

I can't wait to see the prizes.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Ultron32 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:57 am

Ultron32 wrote:I can't wait to see the prizes.

Anyone else remember how they said about 2 weeks ago in that interview how they would show the prizes in a few days? it's now been like, 13 days, and they still haven't shown them. I think 13 is more than a few.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby zhouston » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:59 am

Ultron32 wrote:
Ultron32 wrote:I can't wait to see the prizes.

Anyone else remember how they said about 2 weeks ago in that interview how they would show the prizes in a few days? it's now been like, 13 days, and they still haven't shown them. I think 13 is more than a few.


Just be patient and enjoy working on your mech.
zhouston
David
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Lego junkie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:31 pm

I agree with Zane.
If you're here solely for the prizes, then you're not enjoying the contest to the fullest amount!
Lego junkie
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Ultron32 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:52 pm

zhouston wrote:Just be patient and enjoy working on your mech.

Lego junkie wrote:If you're here solely for the prizes, then you're not enjoying the contest to the fullest amount!

I'm not here just for the prizes. I doubt anyone here is. It's just that I'm interested in seeing what the prizes will be.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Mister Ed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Grrr. Just typed up a post about the progress on my mech, and the site forgot that I was logged in when I went to post it, asked me to log in again, and then lost all the stuff I had typed. Too frustrated to do it all again just now. :(
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby buriedbybricks » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:53 pm

Ultron32 wrote:
Ultron32 wrote:I can't wait to see the prizes.

Anyone else remember how they said about 2 weeks ago in that interview how they would show the prizes in a few days? it's now been like, 13 days, and they still haven't shown them. I think 13 is more than a few.


I suppose we could wait until the voting phase to reveal the prizes. It would build up even more suspense that way.
buriedbybricks
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Ultron32 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Mister Ed wrote:Grrr. Just typed up a post about the progress on my mech, and the site forgot that I was logged in when I went to post it, asked me to log in again, and then lost all the stuff I had typed. Too frustrated to do it all again just now. :(

That stinks.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Ultron32 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:44 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:I suppose we could wait until the voting phase to reveal the prizes. It would build up even more suspense that way.

True. It's not really building up much suspense though.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 am

Ultron32 wrote:
Mister Ed wrote:Grrr. Just typed up a post about the progress on my mech, and the site forgot that I was logged in when I went to post it, asked me to log in again, and then lost all the stuff I had typed. Too frustrated to do it all again just now. :(

That stinks.


Thanks. All my post really amounted to was to say that I had finished my mech, but now needed to arm it, and do so in a way that will not cause it to collapse. I had said that in what was probably too long-winded of a fashion though, and when it all got deleted, I was just too frustrated to even summarize. I'm fine now. :D

I'm finding that making a mech that has moving joints and yet is still sturdy enough to stand on its own without extra support is challenging. It stands right now, and looks good (IMHO), but after adding weapons, who knows?

(Granted the rules don't specifically SAY that the mech must be able to stand unsupported, but I would think that needing supports might hurt me when it came to the voting.)
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby zhouston » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Mister Ed wrote:I'm finding that making a mech that has moving joints and yet is still sturdy enough to stand on its own without extra support is challenging. It stands right now, and looks good (IMHO), but after adding weapons, who knows?

(Granted the rules don't specifically SAY that the mech must be able to stand unsupported, but I would think that needing supports might hurt me when it came to the voting.)


Yeah that's definitely the hardest part. I'm actually astonished at the use of ball-joints in the larger mechs already entered, I'm surprised they didn't just completely collapse. But like you said, posing a mech is very hard to do unless it's something bionicle sized.
zhouston
David
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Ultron32 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:05 pm

zhouston wrote:
Mister Ed wrote:I'm finding that making a mech that has moving joints and yet is still sturdy enough to stand on its own without extra support is challenging. It stands right now, and looks good (IMHO), but after adding weapons, who knows?

(Granted the rules don't specifically SAY that the mech must be able to stand unsupported, but I would think that needing supports might hurt me when it came to the voting.)


Yeah that's definitely the hardest part. I'm actually astonished at the use of ball-joints in the larger mechs already entered, I'm surprised they didn't just completely collapse. But like you said, posing a mech is very hard to do unless it's something bionicle sized.

What's wrong with just hooking up a couple of these to the back?
Image
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby madLEGOman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:47 pm

zhouston wrote: I'm actually astonished at the use of ball-joints in the larger mechs already entered, I'm surprised they didn't just completely collapse.

lol you noticed that too? scary isn't it.

my WIP mech has ball joints in the ankles, and tentatively in the shoulders for now; however i still have to finish the arms and the weapon system. but he's standing up good so far =)
madLEGOman
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 pm
Location: San Luis Obispo california

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Ultron32 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:08 pm

madLEGOman wrote:my WIP mech has ball joints in the ankles, and tentatively in the shoulders for now; however i still have to finish the arms and the weapon system. but he's standing up good so far =)

Mine has it in the shoulders, but I should be good, 'cus the rest of mine doesn't move that much.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby dodge » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:06 pm

After much planning, part gathering and stress, the mech begins! Had a good burst of work for about three hours this morning and got the legs together. Having a bit of trouble making the top-half, but it'll get done in time.

Unless, that is, I go with the other charatcher I've thought about...
dodge
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: Sub-zero Canadian prairie

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby naugem » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:52 pm

I tried to use the cylinder hemisphere + socket pieces for articulation, but they don't hold much weight, so I had to go with something different.
The mech is almost complete, except for the lower legs, which I just can't think how to build, and I ran out of interesting pieces in the required color :(
naugem
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Lego junkie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:07 am

If you guys are struggling to have the mecha stand upright, a technic underframe is quite helpful when dealing with loads of weight!
Lego junkie
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests