Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Crisis

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:56 am

Have you considered using the Leprechaun hat from the collectible minifigure (if you have access to it, of course)? Seems more his style. ;)

EDIT: Though I just looked up your stated source material version of Mad Hatter, and I guess the black is closer in appearance to that version.

EDIT: Oops. Sorry about the picture quoting faux pas.
Last edited by Mister Ed on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Ed

Postby bartosza6m » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:46 am

Mister Ed wrote:

Have you considered using the Leprechaun hat from the collectible minifigure (if you have access to it, of course)? Seems more his style. ;)

EDIT: Though I just looked up your stated source material version of Mad Hatter, and I guess the black is closer in appearance to that version.

Yes, I have Leprechaun's hat, but it's more accurate to his green-comic version.
I also tryed white rubber but it was too wide...
bartosza6m

Postby Darth Mitz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:18 am

Morgan19 wrote:http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

thanks for that Morgan19, that's going to be very helpful.
Darth Mitz

Postby naugem » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Mister Ed wrote:Still plugging away. Oddly enough, I seem to have fallen into starting at the extremities and working my way in. I've got hands, feet, and most of a head, with the beginnings of arms and legs (as well as a chest plate of sorts that I'm quite happy with...provided I can figure out the best way to integrate THAT). Still I'm developing a cautious optimism that I might actually finish this thing some day.

Biggest problem now is turning out to be figuring out how to attach all this stuff and make it at least moderately poseable. Connections are tough. Kind of makes me wish maybe I had bought more technic or Bionicle-type sets in the past.

I'm in the same boat. Already have the arms and part of the head and legs, but no middle section, and struggling to make the connections.
Building mechs is hard.
naugem

Postby Ultron32 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Mister Ed wrote:Arming this thing is going to be another challenge. I feel like armaments look better the more INTEGRATED they look, but I've got no real ideas on that score.

I also am having trouble with weapon ideas. My mech doesn't really consist of much BIONICLE parts, just all made of brick. I'm not sure if that makes it easier or harder to integrate a weapon into the meach. I think harder, unfortunately.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Master Beef » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 pm

After Ra's al Ghul's latest trip to the Sahara Lazarus Pit Spa and Resort for the Mortally Wounded and Sick, he had a mental breakdown of sorts (caused by the pit) in which he not only maniacally laughed as usual, but spoke some nonsense as well. Ra's al Ghul's servant, Ubu, discarded everything Ra's said about mullets and sandwiches, but still couldn't shake one thing: Ra's wanted Ubu to build a mech. Now Ubu is portrayed as the strong/silent type who calls everyone infidels in the cartoons, but what many do not know is that Ubu graduated from Cal Tech University with a Doctorate in Biomechanical Engineering! In short, Ubu built and built and built some more until he finished an enormous mech which he named "The Knight of Ra."

The Knight of Ra by Master Beef (with fries), on Flickr
One thing I wanted to do was to mix the futuristic "Dawn Forge" style with the old, lanky robot style. Also, I'm usually a "no studs" kind of guy, but I thought that at this scale, studs give the effect of giant bolts holding the machine together.

The Knight of Ra - Cockpit by Master Beef (with fries), on Flickr
Notice the little similarity to everyone's favorite Chewbacca driven chicken walker?

Ra's al Ghul by Master Beef (with fries), on Flickr
I wonder what kind of budget he has for hair gel...

Last but not least:

Do you think I'd only take three pictures of this massive mech? OF COURSE NOT! You can check out my Flickr stream if you want, but PLEASE look at it on MOCpages as all of the awesome features and functions are disected in detail, and you wouldn't want to miss out on the rest of the comedic backstory, would you? Here's the link:
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/341915

Good luck and keep building everyone! (:D
Last edited by Master Beef on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Beef

Postby Lego junkie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:18 pm

I have a strange desire to go work on my Mech now.
: D
Lego junkie

Postby Master Beef » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:29 pm

And I have a strange desire to destroy my mech now. :P

Just kidding, although it ALMOST did get destroyed a few times during the pic-taking process...
Master Beef

Postby Ultron32 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Master Beef wrote:I wonder what kind of budget he has for hair gel...

That Ras Al Ghul looks kind of like wolverine. For the face, I suggest using the head of the character "Nizam" from prince of persia. He was the villian--you know the guy, hes bald and he wears robes.

Lego junkie wrote:I have a strange desire to go work on my Mech now.
: D

:D looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Ultron32

Postby Master Beef » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:53 pm

I do have Nizam's head, but the Ra's from the comics has very large mutton chops, which Nizam doesn't have. The Wolverine head and hair were the closest pieces I had to Ra's' look, so that's just the way it worked out.
Master Beef

Postby Ultron32 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:11 am

Master Beef wrote:I do have Nizam's head, but the Ra's from the comics has very large mutton chops, which Nizam doesn't have. The Wolverine head and hair were the closest pieces I had to Ra's' look, so that's just the way it worked out.

I see. Very cool mech, by the way!
Ultron32

Postby Lego junkie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Unfortunately, the MocOlympics decided that they didn't like my estimate of when I'd be getting my entry submitted.

I've made very little progress on my mecha, so hopefully I can still find the time to enter!
Lego junkie

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm becoming more optimistic that I will be able to scrape together something that I will actually be proud to present here. Arms and legs are completely finished. I was able to modify my cockpit/head so that I was even happier with the result (though I'm still puzzling out the connections on it, both to the torso, and the ability to actually OPEN. I'm assuming that the cockpit has to actually hinge or something, and can't require removal of an assembly to access).

And, of course, I still have to construct a torso. That's barely been started. But I can visualize a satisfying end result now.
Mister Ed

Postby zhouston » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Mister Ed wrote:I'm assuming that the cockpit has to actually hinge or something, and can't require removal of an assembly to access)

Actually I don't think it necessarily has to hinge, as long as you have a picture showing the hero/villain in the cockpit. For example Master Beef's mech doesn't have a traditional hinge (it may swing open, im not sure, but it doesn't show it in that picture)
zhouston
David

Postby majortom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Hmm, this maybe a problem for me too. I've used two technic bricks with pins and holes (brick link refs 32000 and 30526) to attach the 'lid' of my mech to the body. I didn't think too much of it until you brought it up, but of course, please tell me if im doing it wrong! Access to the controls doesn't require any major deconstruction, though.

On another note, I'm finding it hard to incorporate colour into my mech. This stems from having a brick collection of predominantly bley/ dark bley/ black parts. Is anyone else having a similar problem?
majortom

Postby zhouston » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:17 pm

It says nowhere in the rules that the cockpit must hinge open. All it says is that you need a picture of your dude inside. The folks at FBTB aren't typically the kind to tack on a thousand different building limitations; they like to see originality and creativity. I may be wrong (and if I am I will surely be corrected soon) but seriously I don't think your cockpit has to open up easily or anything.
zhouston
David

Postby Mister Ed » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:33 pm

Huh, I guess you're right. In my case, though, if it doesn't hinge, I'll have to take the head apart to be able to see the pilot, since there're no windows through which he could be visible. So I'll still be trying to hinge it if possible. Guess it's good to know that if I can't solve that problem, I can just build the pilot into the head...but that still seems lame to me. (I'd probably feel differently if I had a window that he was visible through, but that's not an option.)
Mister Ed

Postby Master Beef » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:10 pm

zhouston wrote:
Mister Ed wrote:I'm assuming that the cockpit has to actually hinge or something, and can't require removal of an assembly to access)

Actually I don't think it necessarily has to hinge, as long as you have a picture showing the hero/villain in the cockpit. For example Master Beef's mech doesn't have a traditional hinge (it may swing open, im not sure, but it doesn't show it in that picture)

I can't remember if I showed it in the MOCpages pics, but I just used clip-hinges at the back of the "neck" and the top of the cockpit.
Master Beef

Postby sparkart » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:19 am

There are plenty of examples of real-life vehicles that don't have a hinged canopy, that have a canopy or access panels/door that come off that have to be re-installed when the vehicle is put into use. Off the top of my head, the Gee Bee Z air-racer didn't have a hinged canopy; The pilot climbed in, and someone else would stick the canopy on top of his head. You can see this in "reel-life" in the opening scenes of The Rocketeer, here en espanol.
sparkart

Postby Ultron32 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Mister Ed wrote:(though I'm still puzzling out the connections on it, both to the torso, and the ability to actually OPEN. I'm assuming that the cockpit has to actually hinge or something, and can't require removal of an assembly to access

zhouston wrote:Actually I don't think it necessarily has to hinge, as long as you have a picture showing the hero/villain in the cockpit.

majortom wrote:I've used two technic bricks with pins and holes (brick link refs 32000 and 30526) to attach the 'lid' of my mech to the body. I didn't think too much of it until you brought it up, but of course, please tell me if im doing it wrong! Access to the controls doesn't require any major deconstruction, though.

zhouston wrote:It says nowhere in the rules that the cockpit must hinge open. All it says is that you need a picture of your dude inside.

Mister Ed wrote:Huh, I guess you're right. In my case, though, if it doesn't hinge, I'll have to take the head apart to be able to see the pilot, since there're no windows through which he could be visible. So I'll still be trying to hinge it if possible.

sparkart wrote:There are plenty of examples of real-life vehicles that don't have a hinged canopy, that have a canopy or access panels/door that come off that have to be re-installed when the vehicle is put into use.

All I can say on this subject is, I sure HOPE it doesn't need a hinge, because otherwise I'm somewhat screwed. I suppose I could probably attach a hinge in there somewhere, but it would make the mech look worse overall.
Ultron32

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds