Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

1/8th Scale Hot Rod

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

1/8th Scale Hot Rod

Postby drdesignz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi, I am an AFOL who rediscovered Lego about a year ago, when I bought my first set in about two decades. I've been hooked every since! My favorite themes are Technic, Creator, and Star Wars. I recently found this forum and joined a few minutes ago. My latest Star Wars purchase is the Celebration VI Slave 1 model and I also own all of these:

• Imperial Shuttle
  • Obi-Wan’s Jedi Starfighter
  • Super Star Destroyer
  • UCS R2-D2
  • Sith Fury-class Interceptor
  • Saesee Tiin’s Jedi Starfighter
  • Republic Striker-class Starfighter
  • Gold Leader's Y-wing Starfighter
  • X-wing Starfighter
  • TIE Fighter
  • Clone Trooper Battle Pack
  • Mandalorian Battle Pack
  • Elite Clone Trooper & Commando Droid Battle Pack
  • Endor Rebel Trooper & Imperial Trooper Battle Pack
  • Imperial V-wing Starfighter
  • Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship
  • T-6 Jedi Shuttle
  • Geonosian Starfighter
  • Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator
  • Anakin Skywalker and Sebulba's Podracers
  • Republic Frigate
  • Millennium Falcon
  • TIE Defender
  • ARC-170 Starfighter
  • Luke's Landspeeder
  • General Grievous' Starfighter

I am also a huge hot rod fan and recently finished my first Cuusoo submission, a fully detailed, functional, remote controlled, large scale, classic American hot rod.

It includes a detailed V8 engine. The supercharger is a Lego E-motor, which actually turns the engine. The "transmission" is also functional.

The body is 16 studs wide, not including the fenders, door handles, mirrors, etc.

The whole car is about 20 inches long, which is about 62 studs (I think).

Suicide doors open by turning the engine and shifting gears.

The trunk opens manually to access the battery box, which can easily be removed to replace the batteries.

The interior is fully detailed. I photoshopped a few gauges in this image:

Underside of the car:

Interior view of the mechanics:

Here you can see how the doors open, simple and effective:

Here I photoshopped a license plate:

The design, building, and buying of parts has taken me about a half a year to complete. Ideas changed over time, and eventually I ended up with what you see here. It is meant to be a generic design, but it does share some resemblance with a commonly customized 1932 Ford roadster. Yellow seemed to be the best color for a Lego hot rod and I am quite happy with the result.

I originally intended to build a fully remote controlled car, that could be driven. But I started on this project long before I became aware of Lego's new servo and decided on other remote control Power Functions.

I tried to make the car as functional as possible. I chose a convertible version instead of a coupe, so that the IR receiver would be clearly visible. Although not necessarily immediately noticeable, it's right there sticking up between the seats:

It's more or less a body on frame design with a chassis similar to the real thing. A modern upgrade includes independent front and rear suspension. Of course, it includes a true V8, which is a must-have for an American hot rod, and it is supercharged too. For the supercharger I used a Lego E-motor, which turns the motor and connects to a functional gear box. The gear shifter has three positions, center being neutral. Forward opens the passenger door and pulling it back opens the driver's side door. Another Lego Power Function includes a second electric motor in the trunk, which turns an actuator that adjusts the rear suspension height. The battery box is also located in the rear, which is easily removed by opening the trunk (see flickr album). Another function includes the steering wheel, which does turn the front wheels. The steering geometry is not technically an Ackermann arrangement, but the result is very similar.

The entire model is 100% Lego. There are no "illegal" connections, to the best of my knowledge. All pieces are currently or recently available, except for maybe the exhaust manifold (which I happened to get from the only somewhat large Lego hot rod model produced: set 5541).

I recently bought the new 4x4 crawler, which came with black wheels, so I thought I'd see what the car would look like with them:

So there you go, a fully detailed, functional, large scale classic American hot rod, which has never been done before. The closest set previously produced by Lego was the Model Team hot rod 5541 produced in 1995 and re-released in 2004. The only other hot rods I'm familiar with are small scale cars, such as city themed hot rods (e.g.: 6561), and alternate designs for a couple Technic models (e.g.: 8070). This is the set I would love to see Lego produce and I have no doubt they can improve on my concept. I hope you've enjoyed viewing my model, and if you have I would certainly appreciate it if you supported the project. Thanks, and have fun!

drdesignz

Re: 1/8th Scale Hot Rod

Postby Solo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:40 am

That is a fantasic hot rod. I dig the smaller monster truck version flickr too.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby drdesignz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks, I had some yellow pieces left over and a few hours to kill, so I built this little one:

Then I thought I'd have some fun with it, since I just took apart my new 4x4 crawler (9398), and built the suspension for the monster truck version:

My next big project will probably be the Technic Crawler Challenge (that's why I took apart 9398). I'm studying real life crawler suspensions now, since I don't know much about them. I still have to wait till next month for the official rules and details to be posted. I figured it can't hurt to get a head start. I doubt I can compete against some of the Technic experts I've seen. But it should be a fun project to work on anyway.
drdesignz

Postby Rook » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:34 am

Nice touch with the skull head gear shifter.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby sparkart » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:50 am

Too, too cool for school.
sparkart

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase