Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Crisis

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Olymprix » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:19 am

Well, it sounds like it's time to break out the ol' Exo-Force parts.

Before you ask, yes, I'm new around here.
"Size matters not." -- Yoda

Until you get stepped on, buddy...
Olymprix

Postby itchybreath » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:32 pm

is the tachikoma considered a mech or a tank?
itchybreath

Postby Solo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:03 pm

Both.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Master Beef » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Well, I'm gettin' close to being done! Just have to finish the head and arms. Although I might have to work on the balance a little since it's about 26 inches tall and weighs 7 pounds...
Master Beef

Postby jackal76 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Hello all,
I humbly submit my entry for Mech Madness.
I chose the Crimson Dynamo, a villian from the Marvel universe.

minifig:

Crimson Dynamo-001 by Jackal76, on Flickr

Mech:

Fiend_D002 by Jackal76, on Flickr

Proof that pilot fits in cockpit:

In cockpit by Jackal76, on Flickr

link to more of photos with different weapon variants. :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12318190@N ... 538583161/
jackal76

Postby zhouston » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Master Beef wrote:it's about 26 inches tall and weighs 7 pounds...

Holy crap!! I'm looking forward to the finished mech!!
zhouston
David

Postby sparesoul » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:09 am

26 inches tall and seven pounds?! That certainly will be a big one, lots of room for awesome detail! Have a good build! Crimson Dynamo and the MODOK build are really cool builds a great way to have this compo kick off! Posting updates on my Zombie Spider Man Mech later today on MOC showcase!
sparesoul

Postby Master Beef » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Yeah, I hope I don't run out of grey pieces before I'm done...
Master Beef

Postby Mister Ed » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:43 am

Well, this is getting depressing. After excitedly assembling my minifig, and cobbling together a cockpit (still not quite worked out all the connections on that) I started work on the rest of the mech and am forced to come to the conclusion that unless I start from scratch, discarding all the work I've done already and drastically scaling down my plans (and lowering expectations accordingly) there is no WAY I have enough of the right pieces to build this thing.

Sigh. I love the contests around here, because I love seeing what everybody comes up with, but usually when I try to come up with an entry, I'm faced with the fact that I just don't have the massive LEGO collection necessary to compete. Here's hoping we have another of those competitions where everybody is using the same set of parts at some point, so that (assuming it's a set I have or can easily get) I can feel like my success or failure lies wholly with my creativity, without consideration of how massive my LEGO budget is.
Mister Ed

Postby Rook » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:09 am

No matter what size collection you have you'll find that you'll rebuild a contest entry in parts or entirely quite often. However a great place to increase your collection size is on free "yard sale" sites. I picked up a massize blue bin for about $90 CAD and I'm estimating the retail value upwards of about $3000. (Still washing and sorting it. :/ )
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby sparesoul » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:37 am

Yeah Ed, I hear you, as of now my Spider Man Zombie mech is just a tad over three feet tall... I have a small element collection but the real problem is, how to reign this thing in to under two and a half... pics on my showcase. Yikes! You know what though... just build it anyway... it's easier to resize once you have the elements in the general location they belong.
sparesoul

Postby Ultron32 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:52 am

jackal76 wrote:Hello all,
I humbly submit my entry for Mech Madness.
I chose the Crimson Dynamo, a villian from the Marvel universe.

That thing is awesome! I love it! So much detail...can't wait to see the rest!

meanwhile, I still have the bottom half of mine to finish...and the arms to correct...and I have very little time to work on it each week... :facepalm:
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby jackal76 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks, Ultron. I look forward to seeing your mech when it's finished. By the looks of things mine is going to be one of the smaller designs..seeing that it's only about 11 inches high. My detail work is subtle and tends to be overlooked by most. Regardless, I feel that it is one of my better mech builds. Again, glad you liked it!
jackal76

Postby Ultron32 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:03 pm

jackal76 wrote:My detail work is subtle and tends to be overlooked by most. Regardless, I feel that it is one of my better mech builds.

you definetely have alot of detail. mine has very little, so far, but I'm not sure mine really needs it as much ;) (You'll see what I mean when it's done)
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby sparkart » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:53 am

It'd be cool to see a wide assortment of machines made for this contest. It doesn't have to be the biggest, meanest, baddest to appear on the battlefield. If you've got the bricks, just piece something together and enter it.

No one should be intimidated by the size or bulk of the technological terrors that're promised to come. Sure, size is impressive, but it's not the only thing that counts. In the animal world, nature's the greatest optimizer, and the most successful predators, the cold-blooded (and warm-blooded) killers, aren't the largest beasts. The biggest animals on land and sea are the usually the gentle plant eaters, right?
sparkart

Postby Darth Mitz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:45 am

sparkart wrote: just piece something together and enter it.

I find it is easier to build not having a wide choice of pieces and colours - it helps to be even more creative with what you do have available...
Darth Mitz

Postby Solo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:23 am

Exactly what Sparkart said. Big doesn't mean better, a lot of times smaller mechs are a lot more interesting than large ones. Don't make me quote Yoda in here.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:48 am

Say what you will, I doubt anybody will be able to convince me that it wouldn't be a LOT easier to knock up something good, be it big OR small, with a larger selection of pieces to draw from.

Even with a small mech, trying to build one that fits with a specific character's theme can require quite a huge selection to draw from in order to get all the specialized pieces you need AND in the right colors. I certainly couldn't build jackal76's mech in ANY color scheme, not having all those pieces in ANY color. I'd wager that having all those pieces, and in that specific color, represents either a LARGE pool that he's drawing from, or else a special order of parts made just for this contest.

I could build A mech from the pieces I have quite easily. Building one that looks like it belongs to a specific hero or villain (and one that I can knock up a reasonable minifig for) is the challenge, and one that is invariably made far easier by a larger collection.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm complaining about the contest. I'm not, really. I think it is an awesome contest, and am eagerly awaiting seeing everybody's entries. I may even manage to knock something up myself. I'm really just lamenting the fact that I don't feel it is likely that I'll be able to field an entry I'll be happy with.

In general I DO feel like those with a bigger collection have an advantage in these contests, but that's kind of unavoidable unless you specify the same selection of parts to begin with, and I wouldn't want that to be the norm, as the "sky's the limit" format just makes for much more amazing results.
Mister Ed

Postby Lego junkie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 am

The bricks are only as good as the builder.
Lego junkie

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Lego junkie wrote:The bricks are only as good as the builder.

Yet the builder can still be limited by the bricks available.
Mister Ed

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds