Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Crisis

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby sparesoul » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:22 am

I am posting updates on my Zombie Spider Man Mecha to Flickr, as long as I don't post them directly here I'm good to go I assume. Does posting a link here DQ me? I've never done a contest before and it would be just my luck to put 35 years of building into a project and disqualify myself doing something boneheaded!
sparesoul

Postby ZetoVince » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:49 am

The enclosed cockpit's windshield has to be transparent or it can be opaque as well?
ZetoVince

Postby Solo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:13 am

sparesoul: Only post your finished model here. You can start a thread in the MOC Showcase forum if you want to show off your work in progress and seek feedback. We encourage that.

ZetoVince: opaque is okay. Just don't forget to give the pilot appropriate screens and controls in there, I wouldn't want someone to read this and think they can skip out on the idea of a cockpit entirely just because it's hidden.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Master Beef » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:00 am

Regarding the color scheme thing...

I'm building a mech for Ra's al Ghul (the comic version). Although his main color scheme is green, I don't have enough green pieces to use green as the main color (my mech is DEFINITELY on the large scale), so I've been building it with dark/light grey as the main colors and green and dark tan as the secondary colors. It may not entirely be his "primary color," but when I'm finished you'll be able to tell that it's Ra's al Ghul's mech. Is ths fine?

To everyone else: If you're working on a mech for Ra's al Ghul, don't let me stop you! :)
Master Beef

Postby Solo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:33 am

That sounds perfectly fine.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:56 am

Master Beef wrote:I'm building a mech for Ra's al Ghul (the comic version). If you're working on a mech for Ra's al Ghul, don't let me stop you! :)

Heh heh. I considered doing a mech for him, but decided not to. I look forward to seeing your end result.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Lego junkie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:11 pm

This may have already been covered, but I looked through the discussion and I didn't see anything regarding it.

So, does the canopy have to be transparent? Because in all reality, a glass windshield on a massive walking tank is probably a bad idea.

I see that Vince worded something similar up above my comment, but his question didn't really answer my question.

Can we have a cockpit that's enclosed, with say, viewports or something of the sort?

Cheers, Evan
Lego junkie

Postby Master Beef » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Solo wrote:That sounds perfectly fine.

Thanks!
Master Beef

Postby onions » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Lego junkie wrote:This may have already been covered, but I looked through the discussion and I didn't see anything regarding it.

So, does the canopy have to be transparent? Because in all reality, a glass windshield on a massive walking tank is probably a bad idea.

I see that Vince worded something similar up above my comment, but his question didn't really answer my question.

Can we have a cockpit that's enclosed, with say, viewports or something of the sort?

Cheers, Evan

i'im pretty sure what vince asked and what you're asking is the same thing. read solo's response for the answer.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby sparesoul » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:45 pm

About cockpits and canopies, remember too that ultimately we're working in a realm of characters who fly around in their underwear and zap giant creatures with magic marshmallows... well, you get the idea. I remember back in the day there was this Star Trek movie where they made transparent metal to house these whales... Just build it, noone is going to naysay a glass dome because it's impossible... I really would loooove to see a giant Stan Lee mecha though...
sparesoul

Postby crazybirdman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:14 pm

sparesoul wrote: I really would loooove to see a giant Stan Lee mecha though...

Can't you just stamp his name on someone's already completed mech?!? HA!
crazybirdman

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:47 am

sparesoul wrote:About cockpits and canopies, remember too that ultimately we're working in a realm of characters who fly around in their underwear and zap giant creatures with magic marshmallows... well, you get the idea. I remember back in the day there was this Star Trek movie where they made transparent metal to house these whales... Just build it, noone is going to naysay a glass dome because it's impossible... I really would loooove to see a giant Stan Lee mecha though...

Transparent Aluminum! That's just crazy talk.

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2012/05/09/did-y ... um-exists/

Oh, wait...
buriedbybricks

Postby Mister Ed » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:54 am

Well, I've got a pilot. Now for the hard part...
Mister Ed

Postby Solo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:55 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:Transparent Aluminum! That's just crazy talk.

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2012/05/09/did-y ... um-exists/

Oh, wait...

While that is awesome, and would make fantastic windows for mecha, calling it transparent aluminum annoys me. It's a ceramic with aluminum in it, not aluminum or even an aluminum alloy. Fundamentally different materials and processes involved. A pox on whoever came up with that misleading name.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:15 pm

Yes but, they never specifically say that the Transparent Aluminum in the movie is an actual metal, so it COULD be this very substance considering it was traded to a company that manufactures glass.

What's in a name anyway? You're easily annoyed, I like that.
buriedbybricks

Postby Solo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:30 pm

A pox on you too then.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby sparesoul » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:59 pm

And a pox on epoxy for poxing so much! I giggled a bit that the underwear/marshmallows slipped completely under the radar yet the transparent aluminum gets the reaming! You are truly my people!
sparesoul

Postby volumex » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:36 pm

sparesoul wrote:And a pox on epoxy for poxing so much! I giggled a bit that the underwear/marshmallows slipped completely under the radar yet the transparent aluminum gets the reaming! You are truly my people!

:lol: welcome to our world, now get mech'in. XD
volumex

Postby sparesoul » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 am

I am writing my way through the build process as well, over on MOC showcase. I hope this helps give a bit of inspiration to other builders!
sparesoul

Postby itchybreath » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:53 am

I imagine an awesome themed BattleTech type Mech to win this contest.
itchybreath

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds