• Pick one hero or one villain only, and build them a fitting robot to fight with.
• Your character must be from Marvel or DC and you aren't restricted to official minifigs (just like Wings of Justice).
. . . They must be recognizable. This not only means built well - but also mainstream enough that the staff won't have to resort to Wikipedia to confirm their validity. If you are even remotely worried about your choice being too obscure: contact the staff before you start building
. Odds are one of use will know them so don't sweat this too much.
. . . Your fig must be made up of official LEGO elements. It may be difficult to come up with a particular minifig that looks like the character you are basing it on, but try your best and use your imagination.
. . . The minifigure has to fit the line. That means fleshy colored heads and hands (unless your character isn't flesh colored of course).
• Because some characters have switched alliances at one point or another, or are by definition ambiguous, please specify which side your character is on for this battle. This does not really apply to many characters who are unquestionably on one side or the other, it's more to help sort out the murky middle ground.
• Your robot must be appropriately themed to match your character. Keep in mind that this is the real challenge. The minifig is fluff. Don't spend two months perfecting your minifig then throw together a model at the last minute.
• Your robot must have an enclosed cockpit and at minimum two legs. Since the mechs are battling each other, It will also need some sort of weaponry.Tournament Format
• Entries will be split into two pools, Super Heroes and Super Villains. The top 16 from each pool will advance to bracket play.
• Each round of bracket play will last 48 hours. The final round will last one week.
• Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. And just like the Olympics, there is no prize for 4th. Standard Contest Restrictions:
• No more than one entry per person.
• No more than one person per entry.
• No modified parts or cut stickers.
• No unofficial elements.
• No pre-existing or virtual models.
• No changes allowed after the deadline.How To Enter:
Contest is open from Tuesday September 4th, 2012 through 11:59pm Pacific Time Saturday November 3rd, 2012.
Submit three photos in a reply to this thread before the deadline:
• One shot showcasing your mech. This will be used as the primary polling image.
• One shot of your minifig on a plain background. This will be used if you make it to the brackets.
• One close up of the minifig in the cockpit. To prove they can pilot it.
You must have a forum account to enter. Entries by proxy will be not be allowed.
Optional: include a link to a gallery or MOC Showcase post with more images.
Do not post non-entry photos to the contest thread unless you want to be disqualified.
You must use Flickr to host your entry pictures because we rely on the built in image resizing feature. If you do not have an account, you can sign up for free, or ask someone to upload it for you. Once uploaded you will need to embed the photo in the forum. To do so:
- go to the flickr photo page for your image
- click the little down arrow above your photo to the right of the icons
- click "Grab the HTML/BBCode" from that drop down menu
- check the bubble next to "BBCode" (HTML will not work)
- copy the code from the box above and paste that into a reply here
- do not add any more code tags
- click Preview to verify that it worked, then Submit.
If it didn't work, ask for help. Simply linking to your photo will not qualify.
Photography note: Ideally, your submission photos should be in landscape format (wider than it is tall) or cropped to a square (do I really need to explain what a square is?) to keep the lineup in the poll coherent. Be sure to submit the best picture possible. Color and contrast correction is recommended if necessary. The only image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient. Your photo cannot be altered in any other way. For example; no composite views, additional special effects, text, graphics, or scenery will be permitted. Remember, the contest is about the models - not your image manipulation prowess.Voting:
Voting will occur in two phases. The first round will have two polls - one for all the Heroes, one for all the Villains. The top ranked robots will then be seeded into brackets, and head to head polls to select the champions will follow.Prizes:
1st place: $150 USD* LEGO Shop@Home gift card
2nd place: $100 USD* LEGO Shop@Home gift card
3rd place: $50 USD* LEGO Shop@Home gift card
If you win and live outside the US, your final gift card value equivalent to $150 USD will depend on current market conditions for currency conversion to your country's currency.
If you win and live in a country that LEGO Shop@Home does not service, we will figure something else out.
Plus, more prizes to be confirmed! Details coming soon!Disclaimer: these rules may be amended for clarification at any time during the build phase. You are responsible for making sure your entry meets all of the requirements before the deadline. If you have any questions/concerns please post them in this thread or send a PM to Solo.----- Clarifications -----