Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Crisis

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Crisis

Postby Staff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:12 pm

mocmadnesslogo2012revg

The past four days of Secret Crisis posts has laid down the foundation for this year's building tournament. Secret Crisis is the setting and the motivation for Earth's mightiest heroes and villains to compete for the ultimate power in the universe. Your job is to choose a side, pick a hero or villain, and build a mech consisting of an enclosed cockpit and at minimum two legs. The rest is up to you.

This year's tournament format is little different than previous years'. Instead of four pools of pool play, there will only be two. All of the Super Hero mechs will be placed in a pool and the same for the Super Villain mechs. The top 16 from each pool will advance to bracket play. For bracket play, the board will be split down the middle and all of the Super Hero mechs will continue on to compete against each other on one side of the board; the same for the Super Villains on the other side of the board. This will determine which will be the best mech from each side to go up against each other in the finals, a battle of good vs. evil. You can only build for one side, so choose your hero or villain wisely.

Tournament is open today through 11:59pm Pacific Time Saturday November 3rd, 2012. That gives you two months to build. All of the details and more rules can be found right here. The prizes? We're giving away LEGO Shop@Home gift cards in the amounts of $150, $100, and $50 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes, respectively. But that's not all. I am working on securing a few other prizes to be confirmed soon and, trust me, they are prizes worth fighting for. So stay tuned and get building!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/09/04/fbtb-mech-madness-2012-secret-crisis/
Staff

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 - Secret Crisis

Postby onions » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Build Rules:
• Pick one hero or one villain only, and build them a fitting robot to fight with.
• Your character must be from Marvel or DC and you aren't restricted to official minifigs (just like Wings of Justice).
. . . They must be recognizable. This not only means built well - but also mainstream enough that the staff won't have to resort to Wikipedia to confirm their validity. If you are even remotely worried about your choice being too obscure: contact the staff before you start building. Odds are one of use will know them so don't sweat this too much.
. . . Your fig must be made up of official LEGO elements. It may be difficult to come up with a particular minifig that looks like the character you are basing it on, but try your best and use your imagination.
. . . The minifigure has to fit the line. That means fleshy colored heads and hands (unless your character isn't flesh colored of course).
• Because some characters have switched alliances at one point or another, or are by definition ambiguous, please specify which side your character is on for this battle. This does not really apply to many characters who are unquestionably on one side or the other, it's more to help sort out the murky middle ground.
• Your robot must be appropriately themed to match your character. Keep in mind that this is the real challenge. The minifig is fluff. Don't spend two months perfecting your minifig then throw together a model at the last minute.
• Your robot must have an enclosed cockpit and at minimum two legs. Since the mechs are battling each other, It will also need some sort of weaponry.

Tournament Format
• Entries will be split into two pools, Super Heroes and Super Villains. The top 16 from each pool will advance to bracket play.
• Each round of bracket play will last 48 hours. The final round will last one week.
• Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. And just like the Olympics, there is no prize for 4th.

Standard Contest Restrictions:
• No more than one entry per person.
• No more than one person per entry.
• No modified parts or cut stickers.
• No unofficial elements.
• No pre-existing or virtual models.
• No changes allowed after the deadline.

How To Enter:

Contest is open from Tuesday September 4th, 2012 through 11:59pm Pacific Time Saturday November 3rd, 2012.

Submit three photos in a reply to this thread before the deadline:
• One shot showcasing your mech. This will be used as the primary polling image.
• One shot of your minifig on a plain background. This will be used if you make it to the brackets.
• One close up of the minifig in the cockpit. To prove they can pilot it.

You must have a forum account to enter. Entries by proxy will be not be allowed.
Optional: include a link to a gallery or MOC Showcase post with more images.
Do not post non-entry photos to the contest thread unless you want to be disqualified.

You must use Flickr to host your entry pictures because we rely on the built in image resizing feature. If you do not have an account, you can sign up for free, or ask someone to upload it for you. Once uploaded you will need to embed the photo in the forum. To do so:
  1. go to the flickr photo page for your image
  2. click the little down arrow above your photo to the right of the icons
  3. click "Grab the HTML/BBCode" from that drop down menu
  4. check the bubble next to "BBCode" (HTML will not work)
  5. copy the code from the box above and paste that into a reply here
  6. do not add any more code tags
  7. click Preview to verify that it worked, then Submit.
If it didn't work, ask for help. Simply linking to your photo will not qualify.

Photography note: Ideally, your submission photos should be in landscape format (wider than it is tall) or cropped to a square (do I really need to explain what a square is?) to keep the lineup in the poll coherent. Be sure to submit the best picture possible. Color and contrast correction is recommended if necessary. The only image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient. Your photo cannot be altered in any other way. For example; no composite views, additional special effects, text, graphics, or scenery will be permitted. Remember, the contest is about the models - not your image manipulation prowess.

Voting:
Voting will occur in two phases. The first round will have two polls - one for all the Heroes, one for all the Villains. The top ranked robots will then be seeded into brackets, and head to head polls to select the champions will follow.

Prizes:
1st place: $150 USD* LEGO Shop@Home gift card

2nd place: $100 USD* LEGO Shop@Home gift card

3rd place: $50 USD* LEGO Shop@Home gift card

If you win and live outside the US, your final gift card value equivalent to $150 USD will depend on current market conditions for currency conversion to your country's currency.

If you win and live in a country that LEGO Shop@Home does not service, we will figure something else out.

Plus, more prizes to be confirmed! Details coming soon!

Disclaimer: these rules may be amended for clarification at any time during the build phase. You are responsible for making sure your entry meets all of the requirements before the deadline. If you have any questions/concerns please post them in this thread or send a PM to Solo.

----- Clarifications -----
onions
Damp Noodle

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby JackJonespaw » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Interesting contest. I can't wait to start building for this!
JackJonespaw

Postby banthafodder » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:47 pm

So many great choices, head going to explode. Thanks again FBTB for ruining several of the upcoming weekends. My wife will kill me.
banthafodder

Postby dodge » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Fantastic idea! I can always trust you guys to get a good head-scratching idea going!
dodge

Postby Brainslugged » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Really looking forward to seeing what people come up with. I anticipate there being some awesome entries as usual.
Brainslugged

Postby sparkart » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Does a roll cage count as an enclosed cockpit? Say I build a robot for the Hulk or Wampa Wendigo, does a roll cage ala Aliens Power Loader count as an enclosed cockpit?

The Power Loader from Aliens by Larry Lars, on Flickr
sparkart

Postby Rook » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Oh snap! To enter or not to enter. Hmm. Might have to put my mega project on hold for a few weeks.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Igginz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm excited about the new mecha contest, but I don't think its very ethical to pretend to offer prizes...

:lol:
Igginz

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:37 pm

sparkart wrote:does a roll cage ala Aliens Power Loader count as an enclosed cockpit?

How would a roll cage protect them from the objects power draining effect and radiation, Sparky?
buriedbybricks

Postby onions » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Igginz wrote:I'm excited about the new mecha contest, but I don't think its very ethical to pretend to offer prizes...

:lol:

who's pretending? there's cash on the line for the winners. i just wasn't able to secure the other prizes in time for the contest announcement. i should be able to announce something end of this week or early next.

trust me, you'll want to win.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby sparkart » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:02 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:How would a roll cage protect them from the objects power draining effect and radiation, Sparky?

The mecha projects an energy field...of force, you know, a force field(!)...and this "force" it's something created by all living things...wait...worlds collide, Jerry, I'm so confused. The mashup of the DC and Marvel universes is playing havoc with misa senses. My common sense is tingling!
sparkart

Postby Solo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:20 pm

sparkart wrote:Does a roll cage count as an enclosed cockpit?
Nope. Absolutely not. Thank you for asking though so we got that out of the way up front.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby volumex » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:50 am

This sounds like a great contest, but will the winners get the prizes promised?
I'm not here to mix it up but this issue of prize delivery needs addressing!
volumex

Postby Solo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:21 am

Of course they will. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ace has never not come through with a prize. He's just terrible with doing so in a timely manner lately. I know he has a few remaining to ship from recent contests but everyone else has been taken care of. If I'm wrong, and anyone out there was somehow forgotten, let us know and we'll make sure you get what you're owed.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby volumex » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:32 am

Solo wrote:Of course they will. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ace has never not come through with a prize. He's just terrible with doing so in a timely manner lately. I know he has a few remaining to ship from recent contests but everyone else has been taken care of. If I'm wrong, and anyone out there was somehow forgotten, let us know and we'll make sure you get what you're owed.

Cool stuff, I await my prize. But in the future keep prize winners in the loop. ;)
volumex

Postby Rook » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:41 am

Good point hard to be motived for those that are still waiting from the last round of battle. :/
Rook

Postby xiei22 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:51 am

To join or not to join?
....woah, i was ready with big idea for a "space ships MOC MADNESS" and you came out with this! :) .....but is great!!!!
I'm wondering about what super heroes set i will buy if i decide to join this...
xiei22

Postby Rook » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:03 am

Yeah I was all geared up for a ship. Now I have to figure out if any of the design details/techniques will be useable on a mech. O.O
Rook

Postby Igginz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Rook wrote:Good point hard to be motived for those that are still waiting from the last round of battle. :/

^
that. what he said.

Still intend to make something, even though I'm no mech expert.
Igginz

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds