Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Hobbit may be split into 3 movies instead of 2

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

The Hobbit may be split into 3 movies instead of 2

Postby Morgan19 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:33 am

Possibly. How there's enough material to stretch it out to three movies, though, I have no idea.

(Would they have to do some title-splitting to make movies two and three be called The Hobbit: There and The Hobbit: And Back Again? :lol:)

The Hobbit' Filmmakers in 'Deep Talks' For Third Movie
It has long been a subject of debate. Should Peter Jackson's The Hobbit be expanded from two films to three. Now it appears filmmakers are in "deep talks" with Warner Bros. to do just that. Expanding The Hobbit into a trilogy would require two months of additional shooting in New Zealand next summer. WB is reportedly on board if the right financial arrangements can be made, including securing new actor deals as well as shoring up certain rights associated with The Hobbit copyright. The first installment is due in theaters December 14 with the second film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again set for December 13, 2013. A third film would most likely be released in 2014. [THR]

m19
Morgan19

Re: The Hobbit may be split into 3 movies instead of 2

Postby Jargon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:28 am

It's not inconceivable, considering the vast depths of information present in the Appendices. Tolkien really wrote the book (no pun intended) on world-building. It does make me a little sad they don't have the rights to The Silmarillion, though.
Jargon

Postby Morgan19 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:17 am

Well it looks like the "may be split into three movies" isn't a rumor any more:

'The Hobbit' News: Third Film Sets 2014 Release Date; Second Film Changes Title

- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Dec. 14, 2012)
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Dec. 13, 2013)
- The Hobbit: There and Back Again (July 18, 2014

m19
Morgan19

Postby Flynn » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Which is really kind of stupid. The Hobbit doesn't need to be one 3-hour movie, let alone three.

Yeah, I know they're apparently mixing other sources and texts into the film, but to me this is just bloating the films too much and losing track of what's important.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Draykov » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:30 am

Flynn wrote:...losing track of what's important.

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby cas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Saw it on Sunday. It was decent enough, but absolutely doesn't need to be 3 movies. Peter Jackson needs to go to both editing and restraint school. Took way, way to long to get going. Saw it in 48 fps as well, mostly out of curiosity. I found it detracted from the "cinematic" feel. A few scenes looked jumpy and others cartoony. Oy, another year to go... then a half...
cas
Staff Writer

Return to BCS 2.0