Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO LOTR Game to Feature 85 Playable Characters

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO LOTR Game to Feature 85 Playable Characters

Postby Staff » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:42 am

LEGO LOTR Game

VG247 reported last week that the upcoming LEGO Lord of the Rings video game will feature 85 playable characters. Now if that isn't replay value I don't know what is. With the game's more linear storytelling approach, it'll be interesting to see how many times you'll want to play through the same story over and over with different characters. The other question is whether or not those new characters will offer anything new in terms of gameplay that you haven't seen ten times over with the other characters.

LEGO: The Lord of the Rings game will be released this October 30. Pre-order your copy today from Amazon or Gamestop. STILL no word on that Elrond figure...
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/08/20/lego-lotr-game-to-feature-85-playable-characters/
Staff

Re: LEGO LOTR Game to Feature 85 Playable Characters

Postby JamesBenjamin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:19 am

I have one of the Lego Star Wars games, and it seems like they had 40-50 playable characters too. Aside from re-playing as a droid or a bounty hunter, I don't remember much replay value (ie: play through once swapping in people who weren't available initially to get to secret rooms/etc). Still, these games are apparently getting better and better, so it might be worth picking this one up.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby deskp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:16 am

The replay value is in unlocking new caracthers by collecting things in the levels that you can't with the first playthrough.

Btw: It will be less linear than previous lego games.

Whoever wrote this article/news post seems pretty uninformed.
deskp

Postby mjacobson » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:22 am

I think my son pegged it when I told him this bit of news. His response was: "Orc #1, Orc #2, Uruk-Hai #1, Uruk-Hai #2..." There's going to be a lot of overlap. Even in LEGO Batman 2, with 50 basic playable characters, there is a lot recycling of abilties. Still, I have faith that they will deliver an entertaining product.
mjacobson

Postby deskp » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 am

mjacobson wrote:I think my son pegged it when I told him this bit of news. His response was: "Orc #1, Orc #2, Uruk-Hai #1, Uruk-Hai #2..." There's going to be a lot of overlap. Even in LEGO Batman 2, with 50 basic playable characters, there is a lot recycling of abilties. Still, I have faith that they will deliver an entertaining product.

It's fan-service, you play as the charactehr you prefer. s omeone will be in love with orc #1 while someone else orc #2
deskp

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:15 am

deskp wrote:Btw: It will be less linear than previous lego games.

In what sense? With no hub, and a strict following of the storyline (in order, anyway. Gameplay will obviously not look just like the movies ;) ) in what sense will it be LESS linear? Or has EVERYTHING I've heard reported about this been wrong?
Mister Ed

Postby deskp » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:25 pm

Mister Ed wrote:
deskp wrote:Btw: It will be less linear than previous lego games.

In what sense? With no hub, and a strict following of the storyline (in order, anyway. Gameplay will obviously not look just like the movies ;) ) in what sense will it be LESS linear? Or has EVERYTHING I've heard reported about this been wrong?

There is a "hub", its a large one like Batman 2 had. After you finishing the game the whole world is open, and you can walk freely from one side of the map to the other if you want.

Inside the open world there will be sevelar spots where you can costumize characthers and such. Rivendell and minas tirith are 2 of these. There are also small side-missions to do in the open world.

The story progression will be linear like batman 2 . Tho there might be points where you can chouse wich "group" you want to follow first. If you played bats 2, you should expect a game like that, as oposed to star wars 3 or the rest of the games pre 2012.

The handheld versions of the game however, will propably not have much besides the story levels.

You really should watch these videos, they explain alot of what this game is.

http://www.gamespot.com/lego-the-lord-of-the-rings/videos/lego-the-lord-of-the-rings-e3-2012-stage-demo-6381477/

Oh, and read this article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/17/lego-lord-of-the-rings-rebuilds-middle-earth
deskp

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Boy has THAT changed from early reports. I would SWEAR there were quotes from the developers saying that it would NOT have a hub like previous games. Either those reports were dead wrong, or the reaction to that notion was so poor that they reworked it (I know MY reaction was poor). That latter seems difficult to believe, though, since reworking it to include the vast hub talked of in that article you linked would require a lot of time and effort, I think...

(This was the report I was remembering... http://www.fbtb.net/2012/06/18/hands-on ... the-rings/ )

EDIT: Having watched that old video again, I think the hub was always there, but the short article accompanying it misinterpreted what was said, thus giving a false impression. I'm looking forward to this even MORE now. :D
Last edited by Mister Ed on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Ed

Postby deskp » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Mister Ed wrote:Boy has THAT changed from early reports. I would SWEAR there were quotes from the developers saying that it would NOT have a hub like previous games. Either those reports were dead wrong, or the reaction to that notion was so poor that they reworked it (I know MY reaction was poor). That latter seems difficult to believe, though, since reworking it to include the vast hub talked of in that article you linked would require a lot of time and effort, I think...

(This was the report I was remembering... http://www.fbtb.net/2012/06/18/hands-on ... the-rings/ )

That report is from E3, the video says they buildt the whole middle earth. but the text under it makes it seem otherwise ;)

And it isn't hubs like other games technicaly.. it's better!
deskp

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:23 pm

deskp wrote:And it isn't hubs like other games technicaly.. it's better!

It actually sounds quite a bit like the LEGO Batman 2 hub, but with more interesting variety of landscape (and hopefully less repetitive means of collecting additional items).
Mister Ed

Postby deskp » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:36 pm

Mister Ed wrote:
deskp wrote:And it isn't hubs like other games technicaly.. it's better!

It actually sounds quite a bit like the LEGO Batman 2 hub, but with more interesting variety of landscape (and hopefully less repetitive means of collecting additional items).

Thankfully no suits in lotr!
Having to change suits and climb buildings with batman and robin got tedious. Yeah not constandly being in a dark rainy city might help aswell.

There will propably be a fair bit of repetetive tasks to get a 100% tho. I had tons of fun with batman 2, seeing as lotr is a lisence i care a whole lot more for I should enjoy this game even more, despite possibly repetetive tasks.

I wonder if we get to ride eagles and fell beasts in the open world.......... Horses are confirmed.
deskp

Postby Ibiscribe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 am

Regarding duplicate characters, I'll bet mjacobson is right, to some extent... look at how many versions of Luke Skywalker came in LEGO Star Wars II, for example. It might not be *that* bad... off the top of my head I can name about 42 distinct characters they could use, not counting orcs. At the very least they have plenty to choose from.
Ibiscribe

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Rosie Cotton? :D
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Return to Licensed Themes