Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

UCS Sandcrawler Achieves 10,000 Votes On Cuusoo

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

UCS Sandcrawler Achieves 10,000 Votes On Cuusoo

Postby Staff » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 am

lights, main ramp

Marshal Banana has made a bit of Cuusoo history with his massive UCS Sandcrawler reaching 10,000 votes. Firstly, it's the largest model to make the cut and be approved to move into the review phase, with the next quarterly review starting in September. And most impressively, this isn't his first model to make the cut. He was also responsible for the very well recieved Western Town which is in the current review stage.

The size of this beast is the real concern for me as the original Sandcrawler from 2005 weighed in at 1669 pieces and would probably be close to $200 if it was released today. This model is probably 5 times that size and includes multiple power functions and lights, so if LEGO chooses to build it anywhere near this level it is sure to be an extremely costly set. This will be the most interesting entry to watch so far as the first three Cuusoo production models have been smaller $40-60 sets and even the Western Town could end up being done in micro scale similar to the Mini Modulars, but the entire intention of this one is the size and complexity. Congratulations to Marshal Banana and good luck in the next stage of this journey.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/08/13/ucs-sandcrawler-achieves-10000-votes-on-cuusoo/
Staff

Re: UCS Sandcrawler Achieves 10,000 Votes On Cuusoo

Postby Andi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:20 am

this would be awesome!
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby fuji143 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:21 am

i'd probably buy this and not buy anything for the next year...
fuji143

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:24 am

I would be okay if this was a $400 set as a UCS piece. I think it would be perfect. It doesn't have to be exactly like this one, but it can be pretty close. :)
Gooker1

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:18 pm

I would definitely be on board for this!
The_Chosen_1

Postby Brainslugged » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:55 pm

I agree with Gooker. If they could bring this in at $400 and over 4000 pieces then that would be awesome. It'd also add some much needed color to the (mostly) all-gray USC sets they've put out so far. And chuck in an exclusive chrome C-3P0 and it's a day one buy for me. Maybe even a chrome Death Star Droid too - one can wish!
Brainslugged

Postby onions » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 pm

needs to be $500 imo. c'mon lego, break our wallets! i dare ya!
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:12 pm

$500 MIGHT get you two thirds of the way to where Marshal's model is, not including lights or power functions.
buriedbybricks

Postby cas » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:30 pm

What might be a practical size and price for this? I can't see much success as a $400+ model. As a hunk of brown, it is by no means a Millennium Falcon or Death Star. How well did the last Sandcrawler sell as a $140-150 set (though as a mediocre designed set)?
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Gooker1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:43 am

I was going to mention $500, but I don't know if Lego will go the Falcon route again. If it is $500, I'd hope they do the same thing and do the first run w/ #'ed certificates. That would be awesome.

It doesn't have to be exactly like the one above as that one had motorized functions too. It is sooo nice!
Gooker1

Postby banthafodder » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:18 am

I had been hoping that this wwould reach the requisite number of votes. I could see it without the motor functions however the lights really add to it. If TLG threw in a limited chrome dome R2 and chrome C3PO with the new printing I would be all over this like a buzzard on a gut truck.
banthafodder

Postby onions » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:08 am

yeah, they don't need to add the PF to the actual model, but they could add it to the instructions like some of the technic or train sets where they show you how to add motors to the set. that would bring the cost down.

still, even without those, to make a sandcrawler of the same size, it might be way more than $500. who knows. i just hope something comes out of this.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby harrison » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:51 pm

I know what it cost me to build mine and I don't think Lego would get anyway near the same size or piece count,

So far this has cost me £900 gbp and it is not finished yet!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42956921@N ... 950384473/
harrison

Postby Drock » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 am

I've wondered how LEGO would handle Cuusoo projects that are from a licensed theme that already exists. I guess I'll find out.

In order to make it marketable, LEGO would have to scale this model down so much that it would hardly resemble this one. If that's the case, would it really be MB's design anymore? If the design were to altered that much, it would be LEGO's own design. In that case, could LEGO just release it as a 'normal' release and not a 'cuusoo' project? Would they be obligated to pay royalties for the concept of a UCS Sandcrawler?

Also, what if LEGO has had a UCS Sandcrawler in the works for a year or more? There might be some cryings of "foul play."
Drock

Postby jamie75 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:53 am

Drock wrote:I've wondered how LEGO would handle Cuusoo projects that are from a licensed theme that already exists. I guess I'll find out.

In order to make it marketable, LEGO would have to scale this model down so much that it would hardly resemble this one. If that's the case, would it really be MB's design anymore? If the design were to altered that much, it would be LEGO's own design. In that case, could LEGO just release it as a 'normal' release and not a 'cuusoo' project? Would they be obligated to pay royalties for the concept of a UCS Sandcrawler?

Also, what if LEGO has had a UCS Sandcrawler in the works for a year or more? There might be some cryings of "foul play."

First, Cuusoo is for ideas, not models. They will take the idea of an UCS Sandcrawler and make there own model for it. Taken from the Cuusoo website:

LEGO® CUUSOO invites you to submit your ideas to be considered as future LEGO products, and lets you to vote on and discuss ideas to help the LEGO Group decide what to release next. We're looking for new, original, and creative ideas, so send us your best!

Second, again, taken from the Cuusoo website:

Original Model Ideas based on Licensed IP. You will receive 1% of net sales if the model you submitted is based on third-party intellectual property (e.g. Star Wars™) and is your original work.

Jamie
Please support my Ewok Village: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/21668
jamie75

Return to Star Wars