Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Storing completed models

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Storing completed models

Postby kingjayko » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm

This is going to be a bit of a weird introduction but...

I'm 18, my heyday of LEGO collecting has long since passed, unless you count the videogames :D . I swapped bedrooms over a year ago so I could sleep in a bigger bed, but since then I have left my old room to gather dust. Recently I've been going through everything in an effort to get any models, figures etc. off the shelves so when I go in there it won't feel like walking into an old tomb!

It's got a lot of models on display; a shelf of Star Wars, a shelf of Batman, a shelf of Exo-Force... the corner of the room has a table of Knights' Kingdom on and under it and I have a bookshelf with two shelves of a City "diaorama" and some models on top.

All of it needs a good clean. As much as it looks nice on display, I want to move everything so it doesn't just sit there in layers of dust. I still have the boxes for most of it, but I wanted to know if anyone on here keeps their models completed but not on display and how they've stored them. I guess if I wanted to keep them on display, a dust free solution would be a glass cabinet, but I kinda want everything out the way but still intact to a certain degree.
kingjayko

Re: Storing completed models

Postby UOldPirate » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:50 am

I've found that zip-loc bags and plastic storage tubs work pretty good for storing sets intact. I wouldn't even bother trying to fit an assembled set back into it's original box. All but the smallest sets have to be mostly disassembled to fit.

If I remember correctly, I think the largest zip-loc is 5 gallons, which would be large enough to store something like an X-Wing. If the set is larger, I will use small kitchen garbage bags. I only pack one set per bag, so if pieces come off, I know which set it belongs to. If minifigs are getting packed with the set, I will pack them and any accessories in the small zip-loc snack bags and put them in with the set.

When packing the sets in the storage tub, I start with the big sets first on the bottom and use smaller ones as filler. This technique has worked for me for two moves and long term storage. Some parts will fall off, things like non-retractable landing gear, radar dishes, etc., but most sets can come out the storage tub intact. Hope this helps.
UOldPirate

Postby sparkart » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:18 am

Is there anyone that doesn't use zip-lock bags? I put the bags in translucent storage boxes and bins.

Are there any plastics that don't play well with LEGO? When I was more of a styrene scale modeler, I noticed that sometimes rubber wheels would react with styrene, slightly melting the materials into a mess. ABS is pretty inert, but what about the rubber that LEGO uses for tires? Anyone notice any reaction-with-plastic problems with tires, especially the old tires?
sparkart

Postby banthafodder » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:52 pm

I have had rubber tires stored as loose pieces for years in large bins and have not noticed any deteriation in the rubber. The only problem I have had is with the older style rubber bands. They tended to dry and break. I never did coat them with vasaline before storage though.
Anyway back to the original post. I store mine in the baggies like the others have stated. I do disassemble mine though prior to putting them into baggies as I could fit more into each storage bin. Even if you have lost the original instructions, they are fairly easy to get online to re-assemble at a later date. Just make sure you mark your baggies before storing them away as some of my earlier sets that I have stored are now a bag of random parts until I get motivated to figure out which set they belong to.
banthafodder

Postby kingjayko » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:54 am

Thanks for the advice.

I have just gone through all my sets and have made a list of the ones I will put in their boxes, the loose ones and the ones I have mixed up with other sets.

Now I face the challenge of packing all of these into as few bags and boxes as possible! :shock:

KC37/850252 Johnny Thunder Key Chain
KC40/4224648 Pippin Reed Key Chain
3219 Mini TIE Fighter
3913 Darth Vader Key Chain
3914 Luke Skywalker Key Chain
4347 Auto Pod
4416 Robo Pod
4484 X-Wing Fighter & TIE Advanced
4485 Sebulba's Podracer & Anakin's Podracer
6212 X-wing Fighter
6966 Jedi Starfighter
7121 Naboo Swamp
7133 Bounty Hunter Pursuit
7134 A-wing Fighter
7143 Jedi Starfighter
7200 Final Duel I
7252 Droid Tri-Fighter
7257 Ultimate Lightsaber Duel
7413 Passage of Jun-Chi
7700 Stealth Hunter
7703 Fire Vulture
7705 Gate Assault
7706 Mobile Defense Tank
7711 Sentry
7903 Rescue Helicopter
8008 Stormtrooper
8540 Vakama
8542 Onewa
8543 Nokama
8544 Nuju
8596 Takanuva
8608 Vhisola
8609 Tehutti
8611 Orkahm
8777 Vladek Encounter
8779 The Grand Tournament
8800 Vladek's Siege Engine
8821 Rogue Knight Battleship
8874 Battle Wagon
8877 Vladek's Dark Fortress
4886 Building Bonanza
7237 Police Station
7239 Fire Truck
7324 City Advent Calendar 2005
7904 City Advent Calendar 2006
8643 Power Cruiser
8644 Street Maniac
8657 ATR 4
8658 Big Bling Wheelie
8661 Carbon Star
8666 Tuner X

:facepalm:
kingjayko

Postby UOldPirate » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:00 am

sparkart wrote:Anyone notice any reaction-with-plastic problems with tires, especially the old tires?

I've also had no problems with the old rubber tires. I've had classic space sets from the mid-80's in zip-loc bags for at least 10 yrs and the tires don't appear to have deteriorated in any way. Unlike the rubber bands, those things are made to last.
UOldPirate

Postby kingjayko » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Bought a box and some bags and I've got most of them stored away.

Cheers for the advice.
kingjayko

Return to General LEGO Discussions