Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Dark (K)night Returns... Again

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

The Dark (K)night Returns... Again

Postby Staff » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:47 am

Warning:
This trailer, like the comic, is graphic and may not be suitable for younger Bat-fans.

This time in animated form and it looks great. Frank Miller's dystopian vision of an aging and retired Batman is required reading for Bat-fans and if you haven't already then you should right the situation sooner rather than later. The three issue story spawned a sequel years later which I never felt lived up to the original, but was still a fun way to revisit Miller's previously established world. Part 1 will be available on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Download on September 25 and I'll update as soon as it's available on Amazon.

Via MTV.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/08/01/the-dark-knight-returns-again/
Staff

Re: The Dark (K)night Returns... Again

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:18 am

I still think it is ridiculous that it seems that they are splitting this into two pieces, each with a short running time, when it would almost certainly be better served as a single film with a normal, theatrical-length, running time. I could be wrong, as I haven't seen an official runtime on this yet, but I'd bet it's around 70 minutes.

Of course they couldn't get as much money if they made it into one film...sigh.
Mister Ed

Postby JovAwesome » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:23 pm

WTF is wrong with Robin?
JovAwesome

Postby BigRubberMallet » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:50 pm

JovAwesome wrote:WTF is wrong with Robin?

This takes place years after Batman retired. He is about 55 and this young girl joins up with him as the new Robin.
Oh cool. I just made a post
BigRubberMallet

Postby Lich_Barrister » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:38 pm

My copy's off in storage somewhere, but isn't it a four-issue set? He has to deal with Two-Face, the gang leader, the classic threat, and the surprise foe, no?
Lich_Barrister

Postby Zrath » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:46 pm

They already did this in one episode of "Batman: The Animated Series" (Season 3, aka "The New Batman Adventures").
The episode is called "Legends Of The Dark Knight" and contains both a 1940's style segment and a Frank Miller "Dark Knight" segment.

"Rubber bullets. Honest." :D

But yeah, Part 1? What?
Zrath

Postby sparkart » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:04 pm

i'll watch this out of curiosity, but it looks so weak compared to the seminal work. Don't get me wrong, I think some movie adaptions are better than the original print stories, wizard of oz, (john carpenter's) the thing, 2001, chitty chitty bang bang, etc.

looking at the production quality, it's nice enough, but it doesn't appear to strive for anything beyond a simplistic supplement to the original. the subtle coloring of lynn Varley is totally lacking in the animation, and they have to leave out so much of the adult content, the party and violence, it's going to lose all impact.
sparkart

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Lich_Barrister wrote:My copy's off in storage somewhere, but isn't it a four-issue set? He has to deal with Two-Face, the gang leader, the classic threat, and the surprise foe, no?

You're right, Strikes Again was the three parter. My bad.

sparkart wrote:looking at the production quality, it's nice enough, but it doesn't appear to strive for anything beyond a simplistic supplement to the original. the subtle coloring of lynn Varley is totally lacking in the animation, and they have to leave out so much of the adult content, the party and violence, it's going to lose all impact.

I think it's possible to scale back some of the content and still have the impact, but we'll have to see.

As for Varley's contribution, I've always felt this was her weakest collaboration with her ex. Let's face it, comics may be a visual media, but we will overlook weaker art in favour of great writing more easily than the reverse.
buriedbybricks

Postby Flynn » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:51 pm

I haven't read Returns in a very long time...I remember liking it, but the other Miller stuff I've reread hasn't held up much (he has a rather infantile way of dealing with adult themes- Dark Knight Strikes Again is probably the worst offender, though even Year One suffers from it).
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby theone » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:16 am

is this a stupid question

why is robin a girl?
theone

Postby Robzula » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:00 am

Mister Ed wrote:I still think it is ridiculous that it seems that they are splitting this into two pieces, each with a short running time, when it would almost certainly be better served as a single film with a normal, theatrical-length, running time. I could be wrong, as I haven't seen an official runtime on this yet, but I'd bet it's around 70 minutes.

Checked my dvd collection and, yeah, most of the past DC Animated Original Movies have been around 70 minutes so it wouldn't surprise me if these ones were too. Honestly, I can't believe those movies are that short, they all felt full enough... which is a bonus to me, not wasting much time.

sparkart wrote:looking at the production quality, it's nice enough, but it doesn't appear to strive for anything beyond a simplistic supplement to the original. the subtle coloring of lynn Varley is totally lacking in the animation, and they have to leave out so much of the adult content, the party and violence, it's going to lose all impact.

While I admittedly haven't read the original comics, I felt they handled Batman: Year One superbly (hell, all the DCU Animated Original Movies have been excellent aside from Gotham Knight). Maybe it was a just great movie of a fantastic comic, I can't say, but either way the movie was still great, and I have faith that they'll do as good with this one.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby DPM_AXM » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:22 am

The Blu-ray is up on amazon.com now for pre-order.

So much of the current Nolan-Bale Batman trilogy is taken straight from DKR and Batman Year One, they have to be required reading for anyone that considers themself a serious fan. I'm fine if the edgiest aspects are toned down a bit in these films - makes it so that my son can be familiar with the story without the worst of the very graphic novel.
DPM_AXM

Postby sparkart » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:26 am

You ever think that, in the movie "300", the slow motion was an ironic way to convey a comic-book page? I mean, comic-books are static images, they capture a moment like a photograph, whereas in animation and movies, some of these moments are lost in time, like tears in rain, to coin a phrase.

I distinctly remember a few images in The Dark Knight Returns because they froze a dramatic moment or really did live up to the thousand word exchange rate. E.g. Superman lifting the tank above his head in the middle of a secret war, and the only words on the pages are "We must not remind them that giants walk the Earth." You see Superman fighting on the side of US troops, understand his covert secret weapon role, and get reminded that, on this Earth, giants do walk the earth. Like Caine in Kung-Fu, to coin a phrase.
sparkart

Return to Licensed Themes