Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Star Wars Magnets Available

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

New Star Wars Magnets Available

Postby Firespray » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:13 pm

Not sure if this goes here but some new magnets are available in the US now:

Mace Windu, Yoda, and Count Dooku Magnets (Clone Wars)
Young Anakin, Darth Maul, and Naboo Pilot Magnets
Boba Fett, Slave Leia, and Royal Guard Magnets

As far as I know, these are normal figs, only the stands they're on are magnetic.
Firespray

Re: New Star Wars Magnets Available

Postby lordvader208 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Yeah, I've seen those too. I hope this isn't leaked or anything, but there is also another magnet set I believe. It includes Darth Vader with the New Torso, Ben Kenobi, and Chewbacca.

But with these new magnet sets, you won't have to get the Solar Sailer, AAT, or Republic Shuttle just for the figs. And yes, I have heard that these figs are completely normal too. :D I get the feeling that Windu, Yoda, and Dooku will sell out in an instant.
lordvader208

Postby uubergeek » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:09 am

lordvader208 wrote:Yeah, I've seen those too. I hope this isn't leaked or anything, but there is also another magnet set I believe. It includes Darth Vader with the New Torso, Ben Kenobi, and Chewbacca.

not leaked :) they are available now at S@H... for somereason, they have different pictures/text than the other magnet sets... http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... =472&d=322
Chris C. :::: My Flickr :::: My Site
uubergeek

Postby lordvader208 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:13 am

Thanks for the link uubergeek! These new magnet sets may be good for those who really want the minifigs but don't want to pay for the sets. But it hurts the value of these figs in the long run and may even decrease the sales of certain sets, such as the Solar Sailer, AAT, and/or Republic Attack Shuttle. I'm looking towards getting the Yoda, and Maul magnet sets because I don't have any of the minifigs.
lordvader208

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:31 am

These are pretty cool, even better if the figs are normal and not with glued/magnetised legs. I can't see these not selling well...
Jake

Postby bigospedros » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:43 am

Jake wrote:These are pretty cool, even better if the figs are normal and not with glued/magnetised legs. I can't see these not selling well...

there's no "if" about it ... the figures are completely normal. No glue involved. The magnets are in the brick piece that they figures are attached to via normal studs :)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Ham Salad » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 am

Awesome! :P Just had a look the Yoda, Count and Mace looks fantastic may have get me one of them - or three! :D
I'm double parked in a parallel universe.
Ham Salad

Postby Crusader » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:55 am

It's a great way to get exclusive figs at a decent price. And while I'm sure that it cuts into their sale of sets, keep in mind that probably only a tiny fraction of their overall sales are done thru Shop at Home or Lego stores. Most kids will get their Yoda figs via Walmart, Target or TRU.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby Andi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:00 am

I first thought (or hoped) that it is old Obi-Wan Kenobi in the magnet set together with Darth and Chewie, but it is the one from Ep3.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Flynn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:36 pm

Huh, it looks like Dooku's saber is still chrome. Did they just not want to produce it in another color?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Jettbacca » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:59 pm

The Clone Wars ones are......interesting
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby speaknspell » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:36 pm

Flynn wrote:Huh, it looks like Dooku's saber is still chrome. Did they just not want to produce it in another color?

It was probably more cost effective to keep that element in chrome instead of tooling a brand new mould just for that part. Chromed minifig accessories have to be slightly smaller because the chroming process adds the final layer. if they just used the same mould without the chrome then the lightsaber would be too small for Dooku's hand.

Steve
Steve's Blog - Partially Obvious
speaknspell

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:38 pm

That's rather interesting, but makes perfect sense... :shock:
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby yankeeken » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:31 am

I'll definitely be ordering one of the Mace Windu magnet sets, next time I order more of the battle packs from Shop at Home. This really great news, because now I'll be able to get Mace, without having to buy the Republic Attack Shuttle, which didn't look all that appealing to me.
yankeeken

Postby Larry Lars » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:36 am

I have the one with Yoda and the one with Vader. I thought that the magnet sets from before was quite ok, and a good way to get figures. But these new ones are of course perfect. Regular figs with cleverly constructed magnet brick.

It's going to be really interesting to see how rare figs they're actually going to release like this in the future.
Larry Lars

Postby liquidcross » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:14 pm

These I definitely want. But I don't have $45 to shell out, so I'm just going to have to stick with the Yoda/Dookie/Windex pack for now. :(
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby uubergeek » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:40 am

in the event there was still any questions...I just got mine in the mail today, and i can CONFIRM that they are in fact normal minifigs on a magnetic brick...

the minifigs are completely normal, and all pieces will come apart... i have 3 different sets in my hands right now :)

**edit - update**

here are some pics showing that they are infact normal minifigs :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uubergeek/ ... 743843271/
Chris C. :::: My Flickr :::: My Site
uubergeek

Postby Monkfish » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:17 am

I just ordered the CW set. Who can refuse a deal like that? I would've paid that much just for Dooku's hair. :lol:
Monkfish

Postby Darth Greeble » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:52 pm

This seems like a departure from TLG's usual strategy. Rare minifigs can make any set desirable, even seemingly overpriced sets *cough* Solar Sailer *cough*. To make 3 unique figs available in an inexpensive set ... wow. Not that I'm complaining, about the recent price hike or the new magnet set. TLG has every right to make a profit (otherwise, how will they continue to make such awesome sets?). And, the new magnet sets represents an exceptional value to collectors and casual fans alike. But, I wonder if they're going to accidentally cannibalize their own sales with the new magnets...
Darth Greeble

Postby RogueJedi007 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Yes I find it hard to believe that Lego would attach these hard to find minifigs on a magnet and sell it. Not that I don't believe everyone here saying that they are regular minifigs but seems like something Lego would not do.
=========================================================================
We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers.
=========================================================================
RogueJedi007

Next

Return to Star Wars