Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Sneak Peak @ Next Years LEGO Super Hero Lineup

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Sneak Peak @ Next Years LEGO Super Hero Lineup

Postby SevFalcon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Well said, Mister Ed. The theme should be changed to "Batman 2: guest starring (fill in the blank)".
SevFalcon

Postby ka.lego » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:45 am

I'm with Ed on that one. That seems to be an issue with DC though and not so much TLG. Their approach to licensing and attempts to take their characters beyond comics is so conservative. It's like they're afraid to take risks beyond what has paid off in the past. Really, the Batman endeavors HAVE been their biggest, most bankable "hits" outside the comic realm with the movies, various cartoons, and video games. Superman being second. I'm definitely more of a Marvel person, and part of that is because they've always made it clear that theirs is a broad universe. In the 60s they had not just Spider-Man cartoons, but Hulk, Iron Man, Thor AND Captain America, and in those they definitely were good about introducing all sorts of baddies and support characters so you really got to know their universe. (Obligatory JACK KIRBY plug. Stan's great, but KIRBY's legacy deserves its due!) then during the 70s, 80s and 80s you had versions of these characters in both live action and cartoon along with Fantastic Four, X-Men, Silver Surfer... I still remember my excitement at seeing Daredevil and Thor versions on the TV Hulk specials, even though they weren't that good. Basically, Marvel's never been afraid to bring it. This thing withe the minifigs is just more of the sad same.
ka.lego

Postby ka.lego » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:12 am

Oh...and I remember being SOOOOO annoyed in the 90s when they would come out with a Batman fig then come out with umpteen different versions in the ugliest colored bat suits. Talk about lack of imagination. That's not good for anyone EXCEPT the toy maker's bottom line. Snore. Do we need a snow Batman? Really? Marvels doing that with their Captain America and Iron Man 3" action figures too. Boo. Take notes from Star Wars and GI Joe...give us more and we will collect.
ka.lego

Postby Flynn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:31 am

I just realized that for the past few years, LEGO has teased all of their licenses by showing us the minifigures. If I can remember right, not since Indiana Jones and the tease of the Indy fig have we ever once seen an actual set before we see the minifigures.

There's just something really wrong about that.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby cas » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:18 am

I see it as Lego pandering to the masses. Too many people can't see past the minifigures these days, so Lego responds and it's working fantastically, as far as I can tell. People are lapping these up and they haven't even seen the sets yet. Excitement's building, people are deciding what sets they're going to buy, etc. It's rather pathetic (as is people complaining that the new b-wing didn't include a minifig. Get over it, folks).
cas
Staff Writer

Postby CaptainFordo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:40 am

SO AWESOME! Are these standalone minifigures? The Robin and Freeze are pretty clearly Arkham inspired, the rest are not. Harley as a nurse may well be for an "origin of Harley Quinn" set, since she fell in love with Mr. J when she was his psychiatrist in Arkham.

The Marvel ones look to be from Ultimate Spider-man pretty much entirely.
CaptainFordo

Postby zwolya » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:00 pm

I would have pegged Aquaman as a perfect Con give away, not something that would ever be in a set proper. Glad to see they're filling in gaps with Gordon and Fury, but the rest of the "Batman relaunch" is still pretty hit or miss. (Not sure about new Freeze, new Penguin is dumb, Bane is too soon since the last remake, and Arkham Robin is cool, but it's like "why didn't I already do that myself?")
zwolya

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:23 am

Well since Bane is based off of the Dark Knight Rises and he's the villain in the movie, I dont' see that as too soon, since it's going to be based from the movie.

I actually dig the minifigs. A lot of people just collect the minifigs, some people like the sets, while others like both and make their decisions on that. To each his own. :)
Gooker1

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:49 am

I just hope Aquaman comes in a set I can bring myself to support through purchase. My desire to send a message about expanding the line substantially beyond just Batman can only take me so far...
Mister Ed

Postby batsamd » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:48 pm

I like the new figs.

Also agree with the comments about the DC line expanding beyond Batman. Not sure who is to blame, LEGO or DC for the focus on Batman and his villains, but it would be nice to get more variety.

Guessing the focus on Batman is because of the excitement over TDKR in theatres in Friday, plus the hype of Arkham City and LEGO Batman 2.

I was hoping they would use the LEGO Batman 2 momentum to bring out some other characters, like Flash, Cyborg, Green Lantern (finally!), etc., but all we get, so far, is Aquaman.

Hopefully Aquaman will be in a set by himself, against Black Manta or Ocean Master, but just from the figs shown I would say Penguin. It'll be yet another Penguin sub vs. Aquaman on a dolphin or giant seahorse.

Guess we'll be seeing more Superman stuff when it's closer to the release of Man of Steel movie, so that will shift the focus away from Batman, not sure if that will help the other DC heroes.

As for Marvel, not a big fan, but that Dr. Doom looks nice, may try to get him.
batsamd

Postby naugem » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:01 pm

So, is it just me, or does the symbol on Venom (and Black Spidey) look like a winged-horned-girl seen from behind? :S
naugem

Postby batsamd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:51 pm

naugem wrote:So, is it just me, or does the symbol on Venom (and Black Spidey) look like a winged-horned-girl seen from behind? :S

Have to admit, at first I thought you were crazy until I really looked, then noticed the winged-horned-girl.

Good eye!
batsamd

Postby gomek » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:24 pm

I like some of the figures but far to many redos. I'm usnsure why I need another doc ock, when I don't even have a Punisher, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, X-Men, Doctor Strange* and any other number of figures that have movies, and haven't even been made once.

* I know that's a stretch, I just want the figure, no one saw the movie.

ALSO.. I wish these figures were more comic inspired and less movie inspired.
gomek

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes