Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Castle and Pirates

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Castle and Pirates

Postby WarlordJHW » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:20 am

Sorry if there is a topic like this already. I still don't know why LEGO stopped castles, knight kingdoms, and pirates one and two. Thanks for your time
Gosh, is that Cheetos on your keyboard?
Spoiler: show
Kingdoms and Castles, what should I choose?
WarlordJHW

Re: Castle and Pirates

Postby Draykov » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:50 am

The non-licensed castle and pirates lines will probably never be gone for good, but the recent trend has been for LEGO to put a lot of focus into its licensed themes. Castle has been set aside to make way for Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit in Summer 2012. Pirates was set aside to make way for Pirates of the Caribbean. Basically, LEGO doesn't want to compete with itself by having two pirate themes or two castle themes in production simultaneously.

From about 2002-2008, this was their explanation for not having any original space themes...they didn't want to have to compete with their own Star Wars line. Eventually, I guess they had a change of heart and realized that an original space theme could exist alongside Star Wars without affecting sales negatively.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby WarlordJHW » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks so much! I still like Castle and Pirates. Guess I'll Have to shop on amazon! XD :| XD :( :| :( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Gosh, is that Cheetos on your keyboard?
Spoiler: show
Kingdoms and Castles, what should I choose?
WarlordJHW

Postby legodavee123 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:32 am

Draykov wrote:From about 2002-2008, this was their explanation for not having any original space themes...they didn't want to have to compete with their own Star Wars line. Eventually, I guess they had a change of heart and realized that an original space theme could exist alongside Star Wars without affecting sales negatively.

From 1999-2006 LEGO was actually under a contractual obligation with Lucasfilm NOT to produce any 'fantasy space' themes thanks to potential competition with Star Wars. But in 2007, LEGO's contract with Lucasfilm went up for renewal, and LEGO made sure to write into the contract that they were allowed to produce fantasy space themes again (not sure of the details).

Now, how they got away with Life On Mars in 2001 is beyond me-- I was never overly satisfied with the lack of explanation on that one from Jake and Brad, who were the community reps at the time. And I remember specifically being told (by Steve, I think?) that that aspect of the contract was going to expire in 2007, and BAM! As soon as 2007 hits, we got Mars Mission.

DaveE
legodavee123

Postby Draykov » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:49 am

legodavee123 wrote:Now, how they got away with Life On Mars in 2001 is beyond me-- I was never overly satisfied with the lack of explanation on that one from Jake and Brad, who were the community reps at the time. And I remember specifically being told (by Steve, I think?) that that aspect of the contract was going to expire in 2007, and BAM! As soon as 2007 hits, we got Mars Mission.

I seem to remember someone from LEGO explaining that the planning and production stages for Life on Mars were so close to being finished (around the time the SW license was drawn up and the first LEGO SW products were about to be released), that Lucasfilm and LEGO were able to come to an understanding on that one. But I didn't know or had forgotten about the lack of original Space being a Lucasfilm infringement. Thanks, DaveE.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Sinestro00 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:41 pm

I like the looks of the LOTR "castle" stuff, but I miss the older Kingdoms stuff (that I never got any of when I was a starving collecge student). Now that I'm older and have kids, it would be nice to see some castle sets that fit esthetically with some of my old stuff (like Black Falcon's Fortress and Black Monarch's Castle). Although, the older sets with plain smiley faces and less-detailed armor make them look a little dated.
You just better start sniffin’ your own rank subjugation Jack cause it’s just you against your tattered libido, the bank and the mortician forever man, and it wouldn’t be luck if you could get out of life alive.
Sinestro00

Return to Original Themes