Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Rancor Pit Revealed

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Rancor Pit Revealed

Postby Staff » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Rancor Pit

The eagle eyes over at Brick Fanatics spotted the above image that LEGO published to their twitter stream. The tweet has since been pulled but not before they were able to save the image and upload it to their flickr stream.

We'll have more info about the set on Saturday so please stay tuned!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/07/12/rancor-pit-revealed/
Staff

Re: Rancor Pit Revealed

Postby Bill the Builer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:01 pm

I checked my Jabba's Palace, and the base was made to fit right on top of the pit, so that should look cool when put together!
Bill the Builer

Postby Flynn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:07 pm

Wow. That's a really good set. Hopefully the price isn't too bad.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby cas » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:14 pm

Flynn wrote:Hopefully the price isn't too bad.

I've got a bad feeling about this.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby FrankMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:25 pm

I wasn't planning on purchasing Jabba's Palace. If this set turns out to be real; i guess my plans have completely changed... Awesome!
FrankMan

Postby JamesBenjamin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:00 am

I totally called this last year when they put out the Wampa.

I'm totally stoked for this set. And the confirmation that the Palace sits right on top? That's just too good to be true!
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:12 am

Wow! When I got the palace set I was like "Trapdoor? right... anybody who falls down there is most likely to die from a cracked skull when Jabba's throne moves forward and hits them on the back of the head."

Looks like the Rancor Pit only supports the audience chamber, so what about the tower part of the palace set? Is that supposed to float in mid-air?

The layout is a little screwy (small gate to the side of the large gate?), but I guess that's to be expected from a LEGO playset. All the goodies seem to be there, including a pitchfork for shovelling Rancor dung.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Sharpie Clone » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:33 am

If it fits on the palace, that is cool. But IMO aside from the Rancor and MFs the actual set is pretty basic and blah.
Sharpie Clone

Postby lowlead » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:01 am

This set is fantastic!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not the very first independent liscensed playset that's specifically designed to attach directly to another independent set?? Yes, 10195 can pick up the AT-OT, AT-TE and TT, but I'm specifically referring to the long-time day dreams of the lengthy set wish list forums: "Awesome, then they can release a xxxxxx to attach to it...etc, etc."

Well, we have it now. Thank you LEGO! It's official, you're definitely listening to us XD
lowlead

Postby zhouston » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:23 am

http://toysnbricks.com/wp-content/uploa ... et-Pre.jpg

For me the main pic isn't working so here's one that hopefully shows. The set looks awesome, my guess is that it'll be around $80. However, I'm still far from blowing $120 on Jabba to complete the diorama...
zhouston
David

Postby fallenangel327 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:42 am

Gingerbeard Man wrote:The layout is a little screwy (small gate to the side of the large gate?)

My guess is that the small gate is intended to represent the one that Luke finds locked upon his initial attempt at escape, while the large gate is the one he brought down on the rancor's neck.
fallenangel327

Postby madLEGOman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks zane, i thought i missed my chance to see it already
madLEGOman

Postby DocBlock » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:53 am

It looks like there's some kind of parts in the back at the top of the gate that might cause the gate to fall down. And look at that button right next to the door.

I like the rancor a lot more than I thought I would. I'm always skeptical when Lego does the molded large creatures. (taun taun anyone...) It looks a little small but I like the articulating hands and moveable jaw.
DocBlock

Postby zhouston » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:01 am

DocBlock wrote:It looks like there's some kind of parts in the back at the top of the gate that might cause the gate to fall down. And look at that button right next to the door.

I like the rancor a lot more than I thought I would. I'm always skeptical when Lego does the molded large creatures. (taun taun anyone...) It looks a little small but I like the articulating hands and moveable jaw.

I noticed that the square holes in the bottom of Jabba's Palace are 3 studs away from edge of the base of that set, which means the gate can't open if the palace is on top (if i'm looking at things correctly); something lego might want to change...

Also, the Rancor's shoulders look like the Pittsburgh Steelers logo... just a thought.
zhouston
David

Postby naugem » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:42 am

The rancor looks quite cool. The rest of the set doesn't seem that interesting.
naugem

Postby GIR3691 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:55 am

This set is really lame. It looks nothing like the movie. What's with the hole in the middle of the floor for?

lowlead wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not the very first independent liscensed playset that's specifically designed to attach directly to another independent set??

9471 Uruk-hai Army
4475 Jabba's Message and 4476 Jabba's Prize
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:07 am

lowlead wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong

You are. The original Jabba's Palace set had two smaller sets specifically designed to combine with it. Also, more recently, Helms Deep combines with the Uruk-hai Army set to expand the wall as far as you want.

edit: GIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :lol: I swear that post wasn't there when I replied.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby lowlead » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:32 am

Solo wrote:...GIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :lol: I swear that post wasn't there when I replied.

:D Oh, I'm sorry you couldn't be the first to dive in and correct me. Sad, must be hard :lol:

I thought of Jabba's Message and Prize, but I didn't recall the technic pins that really connected them together. Okay, I stand corrected! Either way, I can't bring myself to complain about this set...it's just too cool and long awaited.

GIR3691: That's a great feature of the Uruk army set, I had no idea, thanks! Despite my love for LOTR, I'm strangely not all that wowed by the sets...until Bag End was unveiled, that is.
lowlead

Postby Solo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:04 am

If it makes you feel any better, I think this is the first set intended to stack instead of connect end to end.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby SuperDave » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:06 am

Do the recent Hogwarts & Hogwarts Castle attach, or are they just thematically connected?

Edit: That would be sets 4842/4867.
Last edited by SuperDave on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDave

Next

Return to Star Wars