Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

What has inspired you most to buy a SW set in 2012?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

What has inspired you most to buy a SW set in 2012?

Postby Marty » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:17 am

I thought I'd asked this, since I was given the chance to buy a few of the newer sets this year.
I didn't want just any set, but I did want something with a wow factor and I also wanted a set that looked the part.

For me the choice this year was easy,

First set had to be the falcon, like so many before it, this one had improvement all over, plus the figures where a nice arrangement.

Second had to be the new X-wing & Tie fighter, like these a lot, and although the price of the Tie was pretty high, it again made up for it with a good set of figures. The sets themselves where a vast improvement on others before them.

Third, Had to be Jabba's palace, loved the thing, and it is certainly a talking point when anyone see it, came down in price too at the toysales.
(I also got the skiff as an add on, nice figures in this too.)

Others I'd thought about where the Hoth base & Gungan Sub but have yet to decide wether it's worth going down that path again though.

As yet the one that eludes me this year is the UCS R2, I'm not a big fan of the UCS, though I have had various sets from time to time.

But what makes this stand out is I thought this one showed character, plus sitting on my desk, it wouldn't take up much room?
Had thought of adding a light brick to it, but seeing how tight the model is put together that might be a problem.
Anyway that's what has inspired me, Marty
Marty

Re: What has inspired you most to buy a SW set in 2012?

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:30 am

I have yet to be inspired to buy ANY SW LEGO this year. (Unless you include the planet sets I bought early this year on a good sale as sort of belated stocking stuffers.) Everything is either uninteresting to me or wildly overpriced.
Mister Ed

Postby Drock » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:10 am

First was R2-D2. He's such a lovable little guy! this is only my third UCS set, but it was just so cool to have a big LEGO R2.

Second were the planet sets (I have the first three and will get the other three when they are in the US). They are just something different. And a nice little fix for $10

Third were the battle packs. I've been waiting for commando droids ever since they first appeared in the show. And I needed more Endor Rebels for my diorama.

The only other one I plan on buying is Saesee Tiin's Starfighter. I like these little JSFs and want to keep collecting them all.

I'm on the fence about Jabba's Palace. I might get it if I find a good deal
Drock

Postby DarthBuilder » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:58 pm

The R2-D2 UCS was a MUST have for me. Its sitting on my desk at work now along with the rest of my astromech droid minifig collection. It also helped that I purchased R2 during the May the Force promo and received not one but TWO TC-14 minifigs with my shipment!

Specifically about the Summer 2012 sets outside of the Desert Skiff and Saesee Tiin's Starfighter. I am a bit disappointed. Think its the pricing mostly. When I heard about Jabba's Palace I was stoked but seeing as how I am paying a lot for redesigned minifigs. I just don't see the value in it. Maybe I'll still get it but not at full price.
DarthBuilder

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Mister Ed wrote:I have yet to be inspired to buy ANY SW LEGO this year. (Unless you include the planet sets I bought early this year on a good sale as sort of belated stocking stuffers.) Everything is either uninteresting to me or wildly overpriced.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. (except the bit about the Planets sets). I might buy Jabbas palace, because my collection doesn't have much Tattoine stuff(which is crazy considering how many times they go there). But the price would have to be waaay lower.
crazybirdman

Postby Sinestro00 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 am

I don't purchase any SW sets other than the UCS series (strictly OT models), which I think have been hit or miss since the Falcon dropped. (not really enthused by the Executor, too expensive IMHO, and I already have the older Star Destroyer). Artoo is neat, but not really in my wheel-house esthetically. That being said, the new B-Wing announcement has really caught my attention. Too bad there is a 2-4 month delay between my inspiration and when the thing will actually be released.
You just better start sniffin’ your own rank subjugation Jack cause it’s just you against your tattered libido, the bank and the mortician forever man, and it wouldn’t be luck if you could get out of life alive.
Sinestro00

Postby naugem » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:19 pm

What inspired me to buy my first SW sets this year was a coupon that allowed me to get the Tri-droid fighter and the Sith Nightspeeder for $12 each :D
Besides that, I plan on buying Seasee Tiin's starfighter. I don't have any of the previous starfighters and I like this one quite a bit. I'd also like to get the Fury Class Interceptor and the B-Wing when there is some sale.
naugem

Postby Plo Koon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:41 pm

For me, it was the Old Republic video game.
Plo Koon

Postby dmsmith » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:48 pm

I was at TRU around my B-day in April and saw the new X-wing and grabbed it. I had wanted the one before but missed out on it.
Since then have picked up all the current sets but the Y-wing and the Summer sets that haven't shown up here yet.
Plus I have bought lots of older sets.
dmsmith

Postby Darth Timmy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:22 am

I only collect Imperial craft and figures, so my inspiration to start collecting LSW this year came from seeing the improvements in the Tie Fighter. I have an eye for the little mini sets too, but that Tie fighter got me. Just replacing all those out of place blue parts with more accurate greys and blacks was MORE than enough to hook my 50 bucks. Would love to see them release another Interceptor with that in mind...
Darth Timmy

Postby spud405 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Well... around this time last year I came out of a long, long, LONG LEGO dark age. So most of the sets I owned are all kind of outdated and pretty much beyond salvaging at this point. So when I got back into SW LEGO I actually wanted some updated versions of the older sets I had. Considering this year has brought us plentiful remakes of old sets, all improvements over the older ones AND with better mini-figures....JACKPOT! XD

I feel like when I read these forums I see a lot of people nit-pick and complain so much about the new sets. After going through some forum threads, I noticed almost all of the new set reveals are met with instant disappointment. People always complain. Look I know the sets are overpriced and they're not perfect, but I always find myself excited when these new sets finally arrive! Also, in comparision to some of the orginal models, the difference is practically day and night! After getting back into LEGO after so many years I finally realized how much I missed all of this! That's what inspires me to buy these new sets! Now it's been about a year and I'm actually embarrassed to say how many sets I've picked up since last July :S
spud405

Postby Morgan19 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:09 pm

How about adjusting the question to "what's inspired you to NOT buy a SW set this year?" Without even getting into the actual price-per-part ratio, the overall prices in relation to the "feeling" of what you're getting has kept me away from most of them. The value in terms of what you get for what you spend just doesn't feel like it's there.

m19
Morgan19

Postby crazybirdman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:03 pm

spud405 wrote:I feel like when I read these forums I see a lot of people nit-pick and complain so much about the new sets. After going through some forum threads, I noticed almost all of the new set reveals are met with instant disappointment. People always complain. Look I know the sets are overpriced and they're not perfect, but I always find myself excited when these new sets finally arrive!

Remember we are a small segment of LEGO customers. And a lot of us have been buying LEGO Star Wars since 1999. As nice as the new Sith infiltrator is, do I really need it if I already bought the last one? Or the one before that?
crazybirdman

Postby Jargon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Clearances and sales. :D
Jargon

Postby piaknowguy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Definitely R2 on 'May the Forth . . . '
piaknowguy

Postby Darth Timmy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:37 am

Morgan19 wrote:How about adjusting the question to "what's inspired you to NOT buy a SW set this year?" Without even getting into the actual price-per-part ratio, the overall prices in relation to the "feeling" of what you're getting has kept me away from most of them. The value in terms of what you get for what you spend just doesn't feel like it's there.

m19

While I dont really consider the "price-per-part" ratio, I do have to agree that the feeling of building some of the more expensive or "larger" kits doesnt come close to the impression I get from some of the mini kits and the midi scale SD I have. Some times bigger is not always better...
Darth Timmy

Postby theone » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:13 am

the rumoured b-wing and the tie fighter are the only things that have inspired me since there the only set i've seen where i thought i couldn't build anything as good as that

aso super star destroyer because fav ship in star wars
theone

Postby Yodalicious » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:23 am

At the beginning of the year, I found out I was having a son. Not long after, I was wasting time looking up nothing of importance on the Internet and found out about the upcoming LotR sets. It immediately brought back memories of my LEGO childhood and had me furiously searching the Internet for all things LEGO. That led me to the Star Wars theme...

My dark ages began right as the SW theme started. Actually, that theme was a reawakening because in reality my dark ages began 6-7 years before that. But I was interested in the SW theme and bought every set from the first release. Unfortunately, I was in college at the same time and my interests went elsewhere.

13 years later and finding out I was having a son got me back in it. After a trip to Target, I knew he had to have (okay, I had to have) the latest Millenium Falcon.

I promised myself, that the occasional SW item would be all I would get until he was old enough to not want to eat pieces or flush them down the toilet. Yeah, that worked well! He'll be a month old this week and he is already the proud owner of the Falcon, a battle pack, everything LotR released so far, a good number of CMFs, and the four modular houses still on the market. Oops! But it all started with the Falcon.
Yodalicious

Postby Rook » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:22 am

This year was more obligation than anything. There was great sets but with price of the SWU stuff I’ve only been able to buy about one of each and none of the UCS stuff.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Blue Squadron » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:44 am

For me, it was time to update to the new X-wing and TIE fighter. I also managed to find both at 20% off so was quite happy with that! On balance, I think Lego have done a pretty good job with these sets. I haven't bought new versions of these ships since their original issues way back when but I did get the most recent version of Vader's TIE Advanced, so I figured I should get the X-wing and standard TIE to go with it -- and updating my collection was long overdue...! There will always be some aspects of new sets that folks don't like but, hey, it's Lego -- so just custom mod it! ;) What I need to do now is get the new Y-wing and a second TIE wingman for Vader, just to complete the scene...! XD

The majority of my big purchases over the last year have been back-filling the gaps of stuff I wanted a while ago but either couldn't afford or didn't get around to buying at the time. With some strategic watching, I've managed to pick up 8038 The Battle of Endor and 10198 Tantive IV at really good prices from eBay! I bought a couple of the Endor battlepacks to complement 8038 too.

I've also just bought 7958 Ewok Attack to round out the Endor battle scene. I would never have paid the full asking price (insanely expensive) but finding it at half price I caved and bought it. Finally, I picked up the new Desert Skiff at the same time (again, 20% off) because I just kinda like it, especially the new Luke and updated Boba.
Blue Squadron

Next

Return to Star Wars