Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Super Hero Stop Motion Cinema Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Postby onions » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:53 am

It seems like every other movie to hit the silver screen these days is about Super Heroes and you've no doubt walked out of a few and though: "I could make a better Super Hero movie than that!". Well now's your chance.

There's only one problem, you have no budget for things like special effects, actors or even a movie camera. The Solution? Enter the Super Hero Stop Motion Cinema Contest. All you need is the LEGO Super Heroes Movie Maker app (free download) and an iOS device to run it. Use the app to make a Super Hero (or Super Villain) movie at least 30 seconds long and submit it to the contest thread. This contest is sponsoered by LEGO and they've provided a nice set of prizes. Get top honors and you'll win your choice of either the Iron Man or 'Bucky Barnes' Captain America minifig pictured in the banner. Though not pictured, Cap will come with his shield. Other props not included. Second place will receive the figure not chosen by first place.

Be forewarned that there are limitiations to the app. The biggest one being that there is no way to add sound of any kind. So you're limited to using the music that's built in and there's no way to do voiceovers. Still, it's always been my philosophy that limitations can spark creativity. So channel your creative energy and come up with at least a 30 second movie created with the LEGO Movie app. You'll be able to save your movie from within the app to your photo library. Sync your device to your computer to offload your cinematic masterpiece. Then upload the movie to your Youtube account and then submit the video in the contest thread.

Requirements to this contest:

- You MUST use the free LEGO Super Heroes Movie Maker app. That being said, you must own an iOS device with a built-in camera that can run the app.

- Your movie must be at least 30 seconds long.

- Your movie can be about anything starring a supero hero or super villain.

- You must use only official LEGO elements in your movie. And in case it isn't obvious by that statement: you MUST use an officially licensed minifigure or minifigures made by LEGO from their LEGO Batman, LEGO Superheroes: DC, LEGO Superheroes: Marvel, or Spiderman lines. No custom figures or elements allowed.

- You MUST have a Youtube account in order to upload your video. There are special instructions located here on how to embed a youtube video into a forum post.

- Contest runs from the time of this announcement through 11:59pm PST Sunday August 5, 2012.

- Judging will occur immediately following with one round of voting. In the even of a tie, a tie breaker poll filled out by the staff will determine the winner.

Some tips:

- Play with the app. Get to know the app by shooting a couple of pictures and trying out all the options so you know what you're dealing with.

- Storyboard your concept. The more preplanning you do for your movie, the less time you spend correcting shots.

- Build a stand. If you're using an ipad to shoot your film... good luck. If you're using an iPhone or an iPod Touch, it would behoove you to make a little stand of some kind so that your shots are consistent from frame to frame.

- Plan out your FPS (frames per second). The app has a slider so you can determine how fast your frame rate should be. It starts at 1 frame per second and maxes out to 10. So a thirty second movie would require as little as 30 frames at 1 fps, or 300 frames at 10 fps. The higher your framerate, the smoother your animation will be.

- Think of the silent movie era of Hollywood. Before sound was integrated into a movie, filmmakers used title cards to convey dialog. The app may not have a wide selection of titles, but that's not stopping you from creating and photographing your own.

Prizes: Once again, LEGO is providing the prizes. As outlined above, the winner with the most votes will be able to choose between the Iron Man or Captain America (w/shield) minifigures used in the contest banner. The runner up will receive the figure left over.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/07/10/super-hero-stop-motion-cinema-contest/
onions
Founder
Founder

Re: Placeholder

Postby onions » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:53 am

Standard Contest Restrictions:
• No more than one entry per person.
• No more than one person per entry.
• No modified parts or cut stickers.
• No unofficial elements.
• No pre-existing videos.
• No changes allowed after the deadline.

How To Enter:
Submit one video in a reply to this thread before the deadline.

You must have a forum account to enter. Entries by proxy will be not be allowed.
Optional: include a link to a gallery or MOC Showcase post with more images.
Do not post non-entry photos to the contest thread unless you want to be disqualified.

You must use Youtube to host your entry because we don't have the bandwidth. If you do not have an account, you can sign up for free, or ask someone to upload it for you. Once uploaded you will need to embed the video in the forum. To do so:
  1. Copy the video id from the url
  2. Paste it into the text box
  3. Highlight the id you just pasted
  4. Hit the Youtube button that is above the text entry box.

Voting:
Voting will occur in one phases determining first and second place winners.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: these rules may be amended for clarification at any time during the build phase. You are responsible for making sure your entry meets all of the requirements before the deadline. If you have any questions/concerns please post them in this thread or send a PM to Solo.
onions
Founder
Founder

Re: Super Hero Stop Motion Cinema Contest

Postby jomandybri » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:29 pm

But... I have no iOS?! D:
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby zhouston » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Awesome! As much as I want to get my hand on that Iron Man, I don't think this contest is for me; however I am looking forward to the videos that you guys make!
zhouston
David

Postby onions » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:33 pm

I will be updating the second post with pictures on how to exactly use the youtube button.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Gooker1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:59 pm

The folks over at ToysnBricks did a similar contest too a few weeks ago, and their stuff turned out to be pretty entertaining. I know we have some folks who can do that here!!

Incentive, the pair of those figures just closed above $800 on eBay last night. Sounds like a good prize to me! haha
Gooker1

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:03 pm

no ios for me either. Maybe i can phone-a-friend.
crazybirdman

Postby angriwooki » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Looking forward to entering!
angriwooki

Postby brickfett » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:02 pm

This is a great idea.

I'm excited to see what people submit. Good luck everyone!
brickfett

Postby Sologuy369 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:07 pm

So I can't use my custom Bucky made with official parts.

But I can still use other official minifigures out of the superhero line?
Sologuy369

Postby Sologuy369 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Sorry also but does it have to be DC?
Sologuy369

Postby brickfett » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:31 pm

onions wrote:- You must use only official LEGO elements in your movie. And in case it isn't obvious by that statement: you MUST use an officially licensed minifigure or minifigures made by LEGO from their LEGO Batman or LEGO Superheroes line. No custom figures or elements allowed.

I believe this includes the Marvel Superheroes as well not just DC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I'm not sure if you can use modified characters using official parts in addition to an officially licensed hero or not. I'm thinking you can as long as the focus of the video is an official LEGO superhero. But hopefully the powers that be will elaborate on this for you.
brickfett

Postby madLEGOman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Sounds pretty cool, lotta potential here, and those figs are some serious incentive. Sadly my ipod is older, and does'nt have a camera tho, so i'll just have to watch this one from the sidelines. Just hope the technology won't limit participation too much.
madLEGOman

Postby daevster » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Sounds like my kind of contest! Now I just have to find the time to make my film...
http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/83288
http://www.youtube.com/user/daevster

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome..." -Walter Elias Disney
daevster

Postby NoobusMcGoob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:51 pm

This might be pretty obvious, but I was a little confused... Would one be able to use older Super Hero LEGO, as in Batman 1, Spiderman, etc?
NoobusMcGoob

Postby zhouston » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Sologuy369 wrote:So I can't use my custom Bucky made with official parts.

To add to this question, we can't create any minifigure at all even if it's from official parts (such as a bruce banner fig, or for that matter tony stark not in iron man suit)?
zhouston
David

Postby onions » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:17 pm

brickfett wrote:
onions wrote:- You must use only official LEGO elements in your movie. And in case it isn't obvious by that statement: you MUST use an officially licensed minifigure or minifigures made by LEGO from their LEGO Batman or LEGO Superheroes line. No custom figures or elements allowed.

I believe this includes the Marvel Superheroes as well not just DC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I'm not sure if you can use modified characters using official parts in addition to an officially licensed hero or not. I'm thinking you can as long as the focus of the video is an official LEGO superhero. But hopefully the powers that be will elaborate on this for you.

yes, i will clarify the rules on that one but it does include dc and marvel.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:19 pm

zhouston wrote:
Sologuy369 wrote:So I can't use my custom Bucky made with official parts.

To add to this question, we can't create any minifigure at all even if it's from official parts (such as a bruce banner fig, or for that matter tony stark not in iron man suit)?

no, minifigs must be kept whole and be an official lego released minifig. no custom figures, even if you frankenstein a minifigure out of official elements, it won't be allowed.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby zhouston » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:31 pm

onions wrote:no, minifigs must be kept whole and be an official lego released minifig. no custom figures, even if you frankenstein a minifigure out of official elements, it won't be allowed.

Sounds good, thanks for the clarification!

One more related question (just for the record I do appreciate your patience!): Are we allowed to use police officers and the like from the superhero sets as pedestrians or something or does it have to be only super heroes and villains?
zhouston
David

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm

Heros and villains must be used as the stars of these videos, but you're welcome to use other figures as extras.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds