Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Official Announcement: 10227 B-wing Starfighter

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Official Announcement: 10227 B-wing Starfighter

Postby Staff » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:00 pm

10227 B-wing Main 1 - Packaging

Leaked earlier this year from a Dutch toy site, we now have pictures and data about this year's second LEGO Star Wars Ultimate Collectors exclusive: 10227 B-wing Starfighter. Here's the lowdown: $199 USD, 1,428 pieces, available starting in October from LEGO Shop@Home and Brand Retail locations. The model appears to be larger than minifig scale and does not include any minifigures. It's kind of a missed opportunity, though. I would have loved a proper minifig-scaled UCS B-wing. The UCS Falcon and Imperial Shuttle before it worked really well; the Executor, not so much. Anyways, pics below, followed by the designer video whenever they decide to make it public, and finally the official press releaes after that.

10227 B-wing Top Down - Packaging 10227 B-wing Tail On - Packaging 10227 B-wing Straight - Packaging 10227 B-wing Straight 4 - Packaging 10227 B-wing Straight 3 - Packaging 10227 B-wing Straight 2 - Packaging 10227 B-wing Straight 1 - Packaging 10227 B-wing Profile - Packaging 10227 B-wing Main 1 - Packaging 10227 B-wing Intake Inset - Packaging 10227 B-wing Head On - Packaging 10227 B-wing Engines - Packaging 10227 B-wing Cockpit Top - Packaging 10227 B-wing Cockpit Pro 1 - Packaging 10227 B-wing Cockpit Move - Packaging 10227 B-wing Cockpit 1 Inset - Packaging 10227 B-wing Bottom - Packaging 10227 B-wing Back - Plate 10227 B-wing Back - Packaging 10227 Prod

10227 B-wing Starfighter™

Ages 16+. 1,486 pieces.

US $199.99 CA $249.99 DE 199.99€ UK 169.99£ DK 1699 DKK

Take on the Empire in the Ultimate Collector Series B-wing Starfighter!
Now you can experience the ultimate B-wing Starfighter from the Star Wars galaxy like never before. This fantastic model features everything you would expect from our premium collector range, including rotating, self-levelling cockpit and realistic wing configurations for landing and flight. And when you're finished battling in the skies above Endor or helping to restore freedom in the galaxy, place this highly detailed B-wing Starfighter on its own dedicated display stand and fact plaque. Measures 26” (66 cm) wide and 15” (38 cm) high in flight configuration, and 17” (43 cm) high on display stand.

• A highly detailed Ultimate Collector Series B-wing Starfighter model
• Features rotating, self-levelling cockpit
• Features realistic wing configurations for landing and flight
• Includes display stand and fact plaque
• Model can be detached from display stand
• Measures 26” (66cm) wide and 15” (38cm) high in flight configuration, and 17” (43cm) high when mounted on display stand

Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning
October 2012 via shop.LEGO.com, LEGO® Stores or via phone:

US Contact Center 1-800-453-4652
CA (English) Contact Center 1-800-453-4652
CA (French) Contact Center 1-877-518-5346
European Contact Center 00-800-5346-1111

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/07/06/official-announcement-10227-b-wing-starfighter/
Staff

Re: Official Announcement: 10227 B-wing Starfighter

Postby Brick_Obession » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:23 pm

I personally love the design. It's nice and big, fair amount of pieces too. That piece that hold the plates together looks pretty cool too.

Happy with the price too, now just have to wait.
"The future is a consequence of the present"
Brick_Obession

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:31 pm

I thought big sets usually had a LOWER price per piece than this. Eh, guess it doesn't matter. Not like I could have afforded it at $175, $150, or even $125.
Mister Ed

Postby Legomancer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:06 pm

To be honest, this set is just a cut above minifig-scale. The problem with most Star Wars sets, is that so many have been made that we've been desensitized by the fact that most of them are below minifig-scale. In my opinion, this set is absolutely beautiful.
Legomancer

Postby GroudonMan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:08 pm

I MUST get this set. It looks very accurate, and the vessel is among my favorites in the Star Wars universe. I'm really loving the UCS line, even if the models are extremely expensive.

If I'm calculating this correctly it should be something like 1:26 scale, which is a good deal larger than what most would call minifig scale (which I tend to like around 1:44). Was excited when I saw the cockpit and thought it might be the proper scale. It is a bit disappointing in that regard, but otherwise I'm very pleased with it's appearance. Now I just have to hope that fate is good to me and I can afford this before it goes the way of the UCS Millennium Falcon...
GroudonMan

Postby JD4M » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:26 pm

I was excited, then I saw the price.

If I'm going to spend $200 on LEGO, there is a long long list of other things I would buy before buying this.
JD4M

Postby GIR3691 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Beautifully model, but outside my budget. I want a ton of those 2x2 bracket plates. Wish it had sand blue like the original model.
Last edited by GIR3691 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Sharpie Clone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:35 pm

I like the new part and there are some nice features, but after buying the UCS R2, I will probably have to pass on this one.
Sharpie Clone

Postby twentythree » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:11 pm

I love the design of this set and how the display stand cradles it at an angle to show how the cockpit swivels. The downside is that they overpriced it by $50 for the piece count and there isn't a pilot. Even the $10 planet sets have a minifig. Heck, the UCS R2-D2 has one and that doesn't remotely make sense! Great job LEGO on making a beautiful ship that is difficult to express in brick form. Now please give us a rebel to operate the controls as we swoosh it around our man caves.
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby Blacknight » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Minifigs are starting to dominate the whole Lego product line to the point of oversaturation as it is. From the get-go, the UCS line has always been about the ships themselves, as though they were scale models. The X-wing and TIE were not minifig scale. Including minifigs at this point in the line is just a silly gimmick. Also, system scale collectors don't want to miss out on minifigs like Dengar and Admiral Piett which were included for no good reason in a $500 set at a completely different scale.

As for this B-wing model, it's nice, but the wing appears to sag when horizontal. Probably unavoidable with Lego. Times like these when more rigid toy construction systems like Construx or Knex would be helpful. ;)
Blacknight

Postby Legomancer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Blacknight wrote:Minifigs are starting to dominate the whole Lego product line to the point of oversaturation as it is. From the get-go, the UCS line has always been about the ships themselves, as though they were scale models. The X-wing and TIE were not minifig scale. Including minifigs at this point in the line is just a silly gimmick. Also, system scale collectors don't want to miss out on minifigs like Dengar and Admiral Piett which were included for no good reason in a $500 set at a completely different scale.

At the same time, since minifigs aren't proportionate to humans, minifig-scale will never be truthful in a proportionate sense. Like when you see Peter's car in Family Guy, the ceiling is too high.
Legomancer

Postby cas » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:26 pm

It's smaller than I expected.

GIR3691 wrote:Wish it had sand blue like the original model.

Ditto. I was trying to figure out why it looked off to me when I initially saw it and that's it.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby twentythree » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:01 pm

Blacknight wrote:Minifigs are starting to dominate the whole Lego product line to the point of oversaturation as it is. From the get-go, the UCS line has always been about the ships themselves, as though they were scale models. The X-wing and TIE were not minifig scale.

I understand that UCS is about the ships and not minifigs but 3 of the last 4 ships in the line did include them. Obi Wan's Jedi Starfighter was the exception but that was definitely not scaled for figures since the droid's dome was a 4x4 piece.
Blacknight wrote:Including minifigs at this point in the line is just a silly gimmick. Also, system scale collectors don't want to miss out on minifigs like Dengar and Admiral Piett which were included for no good reason in a $500 set at a completely different scale.

I don't see it as a gimmick in the B-Wing which is much closer to scale considering the cockpit size. I do agree that they shouldn't have put figures with the Super Star Destroyer. However, with the current precedence, why leave them out of this one? It would only be one minifig vice the three exclusives (Dengar/IG88/Piett) in the SSD. Those three may even end up in other sets eventually. Why pay $200 for a ship with only 1,428 pieces and no figures when R2 is only $180 and has 199 more pieces plus a figure(non-exclusive but better than none)?
Blacknight wrote:As for this B-wing model, it's nice, but the wing appears to sag when horizontal. Probably unavoidable with Lego. Times like these when more rigid toy construction systems like Construx or Knex would be helpful. ;)

You have a problem with minifigs being included with a set that is close to scale but don't blink at mixing the sacred brick with other companies' products? Wouldn't Technic pieces be a better solution to the sag?
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby onions » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:28 pm

cas wrote:It's smaller than I expected.

Ditto. I was trying to figure out why it looked off to me when I initially saw it and that's it.

there was sand blue on the original?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby bigospedros » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:06 am

I think it's correct that there are no minifigs with this. But, it's another pass for me ... I simply don't collect UCS sets as I have nowhere to put them. Plus, all my Lego money will be going on some of the SW summer line (not all the sets).
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby SWfanforever » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:42 am

I was excited to hear of this set coming out a while back but now I'm disappointed to see the actual price point. $200 for a 1,400+ piece set? I can live with no mini-figures but this set is way over priced. The UCS R2D2 is $20 less with many more pieces. I may pay $150 for it but that is about it. Actually, I kinda get the feeling with all the new SW lego sets that are coming out that all the price points are off. They for the most point all seem high. Example, Jabbas Palace $120...seriously. What is going on?
SWfanforever

Postby bigospedros » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:24 am

SWfanforever wrote:I was excited to hear of this set coming out a while back but now I'm disappointed to see the actual price point. $200 for a 1,400+ piece set? I can live with no mini-figures but this set is way over priced. The UCS R2D2 is $20 less with many more pieces. I may pay $150 for it but that is about it. Actually, I kinda get the feeling with all the new SW lego sets that are coming out that all the price points are off. They for the most point all seem high. Example, Jabbas Palace $120...seriously. What is going on?

You should remember that price per piece is a little misleading ... there were a lot of small parts in the R2D2 set. It's unlikely there are as many in this. Plus, this set has parts in new colours (the treads) and the new corner plate thing, that the video talks about. All of that will add to the cost.

As for Jabba's Palace ... the price will be related to sheer amount of brand new figures and moulded parts in that one ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby GIR3691 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:40 am

onions wrote:
cas wrote:It's smaller than I expected.

there was sand blue on the original?

I believe so. Can't find 100% confirmation, but this looks like a studio model. In any case, it looks a lot better with a splash of color.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Inzane » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Very nice. Great looking model.

Not thrilled with the price per piece ratio though. Their accounting department must be smokin' something these days, given the ever ridiculous pricing increases. :facepalm:

And glad to see UCS return to form, a to-scale detailed model, with no bloody minfigs. As it should be.
Inzane

Postby etcknight » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed in the set design. New parts to complete the build? The whole mystique and challenge of Lego is trying to build with what you have. Not design a convenient "new" part to solve you're building problem. Shame Lego designers, shame! Also, I would have liked for them to design a mechanism for the wings and/or landing gear, rather than having to manually flip each wing open separately. I also agree about the sand blue for a "splash" of color.
etcknight

Next

Return to Star Wars