Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Hands-on Gameplay with LEGO Lord of the Rings

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Hands-on Gameplay with LEGO Lord of the Rings

Postby Staff » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:39 am

Wired Magazine's Geekdad had an opportunity to play the upcoming LEGO Lord of the Rings game while attending E3. He was only able to play a small portion of the game, when the fellowship entered the Mines of Moria to be exact. The gameplay is a little different from TT Games previous offerings from other franchises. For starters, it's a little more linear than the usual hub-centric approach due to the fact that it is following a storyline. There is also dialog in this game, with audio lifted straight out of the films. And finally, there will be a local multiplayer aspect for Nintendo 3DS owners (and presumably Playstation Vita) assuming each player has a copy of the game.

LEGO Lord of the Rings will be available for all current systems starting on October 1, 2012. Pre-order from Amazon.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/06/18/hands-on-gameplay-with-lego-lord-of-the-rings/
Staff

Re: Hands-on Gameplay with LEGO Lord of the Rings

Postby headbrick » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:32 am

I wonder what the scale of the map will be?
Check out my site on Lego Architecture: http://archibricks.com/

Now on Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79701226@N06/
headbrick

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:50 am

[quote=staff] For starters, it's a little more linear than the usual hub-centric approach due to the fact that it is following a storyline.

I found this bit a trifle bizarre. I mean, haven't the VAST majority of these games followed storylines? Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Carribean, ALL had hubs (to a greater degree as time went on) and ALL were based on properties with a storyline that was being followed. Even the first Batman had a storyline, just not one taken from another work.

If they chose not to have a hub, that's their decision to make, but as a reason behind that decision, this seems a little weak. I expect I'll miss the hub aspect. The game had better be all kinds of awesome to offset that lack. ;)
Mister Ed

Postby Morgan19 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:56 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with the hub or storyline. It just sounds like a clever way of putting a positive spin on the restrictions of using vocal tracks from the movies. Ditching the previous games' incoherent LEGO-mumbling speech and using direct movie lines instead means they have less creative latitude when it comes to making up scenes. Any scenes deviating from the movies would either be silent or necessitate recording additional vocals with the actors. By sticking with existing voices, that saves money but requires a more rigidly linear game.

m19
Last edited by Morgan19 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan19

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Except I only expect there to be voices in the cutscenes. So outside that the characters won't likely be saying much of anything, anyway. Which means that a silent hub would be just much like the bulk of the levels themselves.
Mister Ed

Return to Licensed Themes