Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Retro Games

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Retro Games

Postby Flynn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:02 pm

Throughout over 30 years of electronic gaming, many advances have been made, including sound, graphics, and, although it's subject to opinion, gameplay. Many people have moved on from past consoles to the modern-day Wii, X-Box 360, and Playstation 3. However, there are those of us who still like to live in the past and enjoy the older, simpler games. This thread is devoted to those of us who enjoy the games of the NES, 2600, Genesis, and the like. Retro Gamers, this is for you.

So, to start things off, here's a couple questions:
What retro game consoles to you have? Which is your favorite, and which has the most enjoyable game library? For this thread, retro would be anything before the Playstation, like the Nintendo 64, Genesis, SNES, etc.
What are some of your favorite retro games? Do you prefer sidescrollers, Galaga-like shooters, classic RPGs...?
What's your least favorite retro game?

I myself own an NES, SNES, and a Genesis. My favorite console would have to be the SNES, due to its 16-bit glory and superior sound to the Genesis. However, I don't have many really "fun" games for it, so my most enjoyable library would have to be for the Genesis. My all-time favorite retro game is Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Sure, it's a difficult game, but it's the most fun and enjoyable game I have ever played. Music's fantastic, graphics are great, it's just superb. I myself have always liked sidescrollers, particularly for their simplicity. I've never cared for RPGs that much. Of course, games like Galaga will always suck some quarters from me. ;)
My least favorite retro game is by far the SMS version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts. It's a port of an otherwise great game, but the SMS version has horrid controls, bad graphics, and so many alterations to the original gameplay that it becomes boring.

Oh, for future reference-
2600- Atari 2600
NES- Nintendo Entertainment System
SNES- Super Nintendo Entertainment System
TG-16- TurboGraphics-16
Gen.- Sega Genesis
SMS- Sega Master System
N64- Nintendo 64
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Re: Retro Games

Postby Jetrooper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Nintendo 64. It is so much fun to pull it out on a boring day and play the old James Bond GoldenEye game.
Jetrooper

You so should have called this thread "Flynn's Arcade" ;)

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:42 pm

I've still got my original Gameboy out with Tetris ready to go, and I play it on occasion. On the toilet.

And I know that the N64 is too newschool for your retro badge (rightly so) but I've still got it hooked up to play Mario Kart, GoldenEye, and Rogue Squadron when the mood strikes. I used to have a NES to play Duck Hunt, but I stupidly sold it a few years back at a yardsale. And The Sega Saturn I bought off a friend is still stored away somewhere, I rarely played that thing as it were. Given the chance, I would pick up an old 2600 to play Warlord, Breakout, Defender, and Space Invaders. That was the first system I ever played and I will love those till the grave.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Turkguy19 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:46 pm

I still got my 2600, my original gameby, gameboy pocket, gameboy color, NES, and SNES. All in working order, and all still fun.

The only really good game I have for my 2600 is Pitfall (possibly the funnest game). I have a bunch of games for my Gameboy (Final Fantasy Adventure's probably my fave). Same goes for pocket and color. I have a few games for my NES (Zelda, Links Adventure, and Mario/Duckhunt), I do also have the power pad for it somewhere in my house. Then I have A link to the past, Super Mario RPG, and a couple more games for my SNES.

I still need to find myself an N64 and a Virtual Boy so I can round out my Nintendo Gaming Systems collection :D
Turkguy19

Postby Flynn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:00 pm

Well, I'd veer away from the Virtual Boy, if AVGN is any guide. ;)

Speaking of 2600s, I had just gone down to Goodwill a couple days ago to find three of them, each with at least 10 games, both controllers, and all the hookups, for 50 dollars each. If only I hadn't foolishly spent it on Darth's TIE fighter last week. :cry:
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Turkguy19 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:02 pm

Oh, I know that the Virtual Boy sucked. I've played it before. I just want it so I can say I own it, not so I can play it :lol:
Turkguy19

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:32 pm

It's weird to think of the N64 as a "retro" console, but I suppose it's getting into that age now. For me, it was the first console I completely bought and paid for myself. And since I had a job at the time, I was able to build a sizeable collection of games (I still occassionally buy games for it if I see something good). Many people like to put N64 down, claiming the Playstation was the more popular console (indeed, it did have larger sales). But I defy you to come up with a list of Playstation games that were as memorable and that have stood the test of time as well as some of the N64s. You'll probably mention Final Fantasy, but other than that, what else is there?

Some of my favorite games:
  • Super Mario 64 - Set the bar for what 3D platformers can and should be.
  • Goldeneye 007 - Set the bar for console singleplayer and multiplayer shooters, long before anyone had heard of Halo.
  • Mario Kart 64 - One of the most accessable racing games ever created.
  • Beetle Adventure Racing - This game oozed style and was one of the most underrated games for the N64.
  • Blast Corps - This game is sheer fun, and I've played through it more times than I can remember.
  • Robotron 64 - Four words: Dual-Fisted Controller Setup. Awesome. This game is so much fun.
  • Rogue Squadron - One of my favorite Star Wars games (and I have many).
  • Donkey Kong 64 - The collect-a-thon to end all collect-a-thons, this was a spectacular game.
  • Pefect Dark - Really, at this point, I should just say "Rare games", but this game pushed the technology as far as it can go.
  • Smash Bros. - The game that started it all. This game was a Nintendo fanboy's wet dream.

There are others, but these are my personal favorites.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Firespray » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Oh man N64 all the way, my first console and first venture into gaming. Soooo many good memories of Goldeneye 007, one of the best games ever to me :D Star Wars Rogue Squadron, oh man fun times :D My N64 is packed away safely in the spare room in my house. I also have a near mint NES console that my Uncle gave me a few years ago. Still has the same box, styrofoam packaging and manuals, and he was going to throw it out :shock: I can't remember which games he gave me with it off the top of my head but one of them definitely was Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt with the lightgun :D
Firespray

Postby Mofo Jones » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:48 pm

I have a functional Atari 2600 with a bunch of games, including Pitfall!, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Kaboom! and the usual Atari classics like Asteroids, Defender, Missile Command, etc.

I also have an Atari Lynx that still works (albeit just with batteries, the AC adapter got fried at one point), but I only have about 4 games for it, including Tournament Cyberball, Xybots, and KLAX.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby DestructiveDelirium » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:57 am

I never owned a NES or Sega. The oldest system I own is N64, which is abit retro I guess.
I still play my N64 now and then, usually playing Perfect Dark or Goldeneye. Need to brush up on my skills in those games ;)
I also have been known to pull out my old gameboy occassionally and play Pokemon Yellow. Those games we're awsome even if I don't like Pokemon anymore.
DestructiveDelirium

Postby Jettbacca » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:51 am

I play my N64 every once and a while, but my dad sold Goldeneye when I was little. I normally play Supper Mario 64
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby Andi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:32 am

Since my original Gameboy was lying exactly at the place where my TV decided to fall down to in the middle of a night in 2002, the only Retro game I still have is this one: Image
But from time to time I still play it and it is still the same fun as in the mid-80ies when I got it.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby bluemoose » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:15 am

Console wise, I've got, all working, -
- Atari 2600
- SNES, N64 (also GameCube & Wii)
- MegaDrive (UK version of Genesis), (also Dreamcast)
- GameBoy, GameBoy Color (also GameBoy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, DS Lite)
- (Playstation & PS3)
- (X-Box)

My favourite retro game genres are platformers, puzzle games & RPGs, but I enjoy most other genres, although I've never 'got' beat-em-ups.

Ian
bluemoose

Postby BigBenKenobi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:00 pm

Well, I still have a few of my "retro" gaming devices at home. From what I remember, I still have my:

N64 - one of the greatest gaming devices of all time with games I still enjoy (Super Smash, Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Rouge Squadron, and others)
Gameboy Color - still works just like my N64...I remember going on vacations with my family, and this begin something I had to have during the trip.
Gameboy Advanced - one of the presents my parents gave me for my 10th birthday...good times.

That's all I have that I would consider retro :D .
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby onions » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:46 am

wouldn't this be considered a catch all thread? kinda nichey but still....
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby R2 Lou2 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:29 am

In the early nineties i was totally addicted to Sensible Soccer, on the Amiga or Atari ST. For me It is still the best gameplay that ever existed - especially in two player mode. I've got a plug 'n play version of Sensi on the Megadrive - not quite the same due to using a Sega controller rather than a joystick, but fairly pleasing all the same. Prepare to be blown away ;) SensiFrenzi!
R2 Lou2

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:43 am

onions wrote:wouldn't this be considered a catch all thread? kinda nichey but still....

Not really, it's about retro gaming and what systems people still use, not like the old video game thread where it was people were just offhandedly mentioning the last thing they played. Kind of a fine grey like... but seemed kosher enough to me.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Master Fetty » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:25 am

My first ever gaming console was a Game Boy Colour and, dare I say it, its a gorram sight better than my DS.

I can remember most of my games - some Harry Potters, a Simpsons one as well as Episode 1 Racer. But by far the most memorable and enjoyable one has to be Pokemon. I now really dislike those games - slow, arduous and little action, but to an eight year old me Pokemon Red was the best thing ever.

Then my brother deleted my file.
Master Fetty

Postby SkwerlJones » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:38 pm

Well, sometimes I take out my ancient Gamecube and play some old-school game like Mario Sunshine. :cool:

The above post was a joke. I really never owned a NES or a SNES, but my chilhood was spent on my 64 playing Super Smash Bros. If I recall, I was alwas Samus, who I thought was a tough man in a suit. My sister was, and still is, Kirby, and we would always freak out whenever Master Hand arrived and laughed. Recently, my friend and I played Star Fox on it, the graphics weren't so hot, but we had a blast. Other games I had are Mario 64(amazing game), Pokemon Snap (addictive and fun), and Pokemon Stadiums (still better than every other console Pokemon game). Good times, good times.
They're all wasted!
SkwerlJones

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:23 pm

Heh, protip: Samus is a chick. A chick that's not nearly as big as the Metroid armor lets on. ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Next

Return to BCS 2.0