Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Millionaire Steals Lego?!?!?

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Millionaire Steals Lego?!?!?

Postby Gooker1 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:06 pm

A friend of mine came across this article and showed it to me and it was too funny. I guess millionaires are pretty darn bored. :facepalm:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/VP-of-Palo-Altos-SAP-Arrested-in-Lego-Scam-152320475.html
Gooker1

Re: Millionaire Steals Lego?!?!?

Postby Rook » Tue May 22, 2012 10:02 am

That's awesome! Now there's a job opening that one of us can apply for! XD
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby scotth510 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:05 am

That is crazy. I got a kick out of some of the comments people posted for this story.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotth510/
http://www.youtube.com/user/scotth510
scotth510

Postby Bellicose » Tue May 22, 2012 4:09 pm

The ebay seller was 'tomsbrickyard'...anybody bought from him? It certainly sounds familiar.

Here's Gizmodo's article on the subject.
Bellicose

Postby Solo » Tue May 22, 2012 10:51 pm

I remember someone else running the same scam a while back. Seemed pretty clever at the time. Doesn't surprise me someone else tried it. I bet others have too and probably got away with it more often than not.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Rook » Wed May 23, 2012 6:49 am

Problem is greed. Criminals tend to slowly increase their risk factors to increase their profit margin, which means someone will catch you. Simple probability and statistics takes over. The more times you do something the more likely you are to see all of the probable outcomes. In this case arrest and imprisonment are possible outcomes. Doesn't take a genius to know that. Then again maybe it does. XD
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby crazybirdman » Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 am

yeah but the last time someone did it they were way smarter (not smart enough to not get caught) spreading it around to several stores.
crazybirdman

Postby Draykov » Wed May 23, 2012 9:35 am

Solo wrote:I remember someone else running the same scam a while back. Seemed pretty clever at the time. Doesn't surprise me someone else tried it. I bet others have too and probably got away with it more often than not.

You're probably referring to William Swanberg who had a popular Bricklink store.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby deco_droid » Wed May 23, 2012 11:44 am

"Those bar codes were for a much cheaper price. So, for instance, Hendrickson said that Langenbach bought a $279 box of Millenium Falcon box of LEGOS for just $49"

Is that a typo, or do the Targets in CA really sell their Falcons for $279??? I'm starting to feel sympathy for the guy. :lol:
deco_droid

Postby cas » Wed May 23, 2012 12:16 pm

That's just a really poorly written sentence mixed with a typo. In actuality, he bought two Millennium Falcons for $49 (and the podracers for $35).
cas
Staff Writer

Postby GrayMattR » Wed May 23, 2012 4:25 pm

I really don't get what motivates someone that can afford a multimillion dollar home to steal hundreds. Not only did he copy someone else's scam, he used a debit card which makes it instantly traceable. Criminals are dumb.
GrayMattR

Postby Robzula » Sun May 27, 2012 1:14 am

Why is it that every time I read a news article online it sounds like a middle school book report crossed with a casual forum post filled with typoes? Do these people not have editors?

GrayMattR wrote:I really don't get what motivates someone that can afford a multimillion dollar home to steal hundreds.

I'm guessing it was more for the thrill of stealing it than it was because he didn't want to pay for it.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby DarthMC » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:13 pm

TheSmokingGun.com had a story a while back about switching bar code stickers at target

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/behind-bars

From the story, the Target security already knew about him from a previous incident and watched him when he came back.

I also saw a news clip about Target security and they actually tracked one of their stolen items to EBay and bought it to get the thiefs fingerprints. The "item recovery command center" was quite amazing.

DarthMC
DarthMC

Postby scotth510 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Just thought I would update this story. update
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotth510/
http://www.youtube.com/user/scotth510
scotth510

Re: Millionaire Steals Lego, goes to prison

Postby freight69 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:26 am

Langenbach to do 5 months in prison after pleading guilty to one count of felony burglary.

I just learned about this story today. It's amusing and pathetic.

I like the photo they used to demonstrate that he had a vast horde of LEGO sets; doesn't looks so different from some of the pics I've noticed in other threads (all of which stoke envy in me).

freight69

Postby dWhisper » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:00 am

Actually, it's 1 month in prison and 5 months under house arrest. No word on if his house still has a LEGO collection.

Honestly, that doesn't look all that different from my office, except I only have multiples of a few sets (and none of them were purchased illicitly) stacked up like that. And while I'd love to sell off my excess and get some money back in the LEGO pot, that takes more time and effort than I'd give. Can't say the same for this SVP though...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby naugem » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 pm

The article only mentions Target, but the Y-Wings in the pic are Toys R'Us and Lego Shop exclusives, so maybe he was doing the same trick at other stores too.

Also, has he been in prison since he was captured? Does that count as part of his sentence?
naugem

Return to General LEGO Discussions