Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New High-Res Images of Star Wars Planets Series 2

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

New High-Res Images of Star Wars Planets Series 2

Postby Staff » Tue May 01, 2012 7:45 am

New, high resolution images of Series 2 of the Star Wars Planet sets have surfaced over at The Daily Brick. These will be out this summer.

Yavin 1Yavin 2

Bespin 1Bespin 2

Endor 1
Endor 2

Thanks Lawrence for the tip!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/05/01/new-high-res-images-of-star-wars-planets-series-2/
Staff

Re: New High-Res Images of Star Wars Planets Series 2

Postby Mister Ed » Tue May 01, 2012 8:21 am

Somehow these seem less interesting than the first series. Two of the planets look lousy (Endor looks good), IMHO, and the models and figs are kind of weak, except the cloud car and Lobot. I thought the first series planets all looked good (Death Star was awesome), and the mini models were all either new or much improved, IMHO. And the figs were, on average, more interesting. I've got a BUNCH of X-wing pilots, and at least a couple AT-ST drivers from just RECENTLY.

I guess they can't ALL be winners.
Mister Ed

Postby brickmodder » Tue May 01, 2012 9:48 am

New piece on the nose of the x-wing?

brickmodder

Postby mooslug » Tue May 01, 2012 10:53 am

Not new, but only used a few times before:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/92946
I can't tell if it's dark or light grey in the X-wing... if it's light grey, it's a new color for that piece.

I like how the swirly plastic gives Bespin a nice gas giant look, but Yavin IV is a terrestrial moon, so I don't understand why they didn't go with a printed look as with Naboo, Tatooine, and Endor... IMO the red gas giant Yavin would have been a better choice to go with the X-wing, too- you see it much more in the movie. Maybe they're saving it for a later Y-wing set?
mooslug

Postby Mister Ed » Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 am

I probably would be less bothered by the "swirly colors" look for Bespin if it had been done in a manner that makes sense. Granted I've only seen pictures of a few REAL gas giants (4 to be exact), but I have little reason to expect that other, alien planets would somehow have swirling bands of color radiating from the poles, instead of parallel to the equator. It doesn't look like cloud patterns to me, but more like tie-dye.

Plus, making the color bands parallel to the equator would have made the inevitable pattern disconnect between the two halves much less noticeable, IMHO.
Mister Ed

Postby Rook » Tue May 01, 2012 11:15 am

Wow couldn't get much lamer on the first two spheres. Well I hope someone enjoys them. :/
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Morgan19 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:48 am

I remember commenting (on Flickr, not here) about how the two planets in this round looked like balls of melting ice cream, and was told not to overreact because they were just preliminary designs.

Looks like I wasn't that far off-base after all! :lol:

m19
Morgan19

Postby Walter Boy » Tue May 01, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm suprised the Rebel pilot doesn't have an updated helmet print, somewhat like this one.
Walter Boy

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Other than the diamond-shaped patterns on the sides, there isn't much more to add to the standard helmet if I recall correctly. I'm more surprised that they still haven't printed a microphone on the pilot's face in addition to the visor and chinstrap.
fallenangel327

Postby emmtwosix » Wed May 02, 2012 8:09 am

mooslug wrote:Not new, but only used a few times before:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/92946
I can't tell if it's dark or light grey in the X-wing... if it's light grey, it's a new color for that piece.

I followed that link and immediately thought "there's no way that's right. I have that piece and I don't have those sets."

Go here:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=92946&v=0&in=S&srt=0&srtAsc=A&ov=Y

It is a newer part, but it's been in quite a few sets since its release. I would bet it's probably Dark Bley since there are so many sets with that color already - I doubt they would fire up the molds for a new color in a $10 set. But, I'm sure they could find further uses for that part in that color, so who knows.
emmtwosix

Postby emmtwosix » Wed May 02, 2012 8:11 am

On another note, does anyone else feel like they unnecessarily purchased the polybag versions of the AT-ST and X-wing? Not complaining, though. Really don't mind having multiples of these minis, but I do remember being a little disappointed that the AT-ST didn't have the printed piece as in the old polybag and I might not have bought it had I known this planet set was coming out. Oh well. Que sera, sera.

Also, I just got Sebulba's Podracer & Tattoine to finish up the first trio of planets and can't wait for the next three to come out. This is really one of the best ideas LEGO has had for the "thrifty" collector. Great value at a great price. It would be cool if they implemented this idea in the midi-scale line by adding a printed tile, stand, and (perhaps exclusive) minifigs to those sets. I think it would help their sales, and I would personally like to see the midi-scale line continue.
Last edited by emmtwosix on Wed May 02, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
emmtwosix

Postby Mister Ed » Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 am

emmtwosix wrote: This is really one of the best ideas LEGO has had for the "thrifty" collector. Great value at a great price.

I like them, too, but I don't really think the MSRP is all that great of a price for what you get. That's why I bought them on sale.
Mister Ed

Postby CaptainFordo » Tue May 08, 2012 5:50 am

Is it just me that thinks that the new x-wing is kind of worse than the old one? The angled wings are great, but it's now really snub with too much junk in the trunk... Not to mention they still have the (I assume) flimsy clips rather than those ratchet joints for the wings. You put the first mini X-wing down, or look at it funny and it would flop its wings into an unholy mess...
CaptainFordo

Postby spud405 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Honestly, I have been unimpressed with the Planets series in general. The first series was very bland. The Death Star planet was neat, but the ships themselves were not interesting. Not to mention that the minifigures were forgettable.

It looks like series two is pretty much following suit. I think the vehicle choices are more interesting, but in no way am I excited for their release. I feel like this line would work better if they took out the planets and just offered a mini-ship and figure. This line would be a good opportunity to get mini-figures of main characters like Luke and Han without having to dish out exorbitant amounts of money for the bigger sets. Unfortunately, that potential is wasted on mediocre and overpriced planet sets such as these. Just a thought.
spud405

Postby CaptainFordo » Thu May 10, 2012 3:07 am

^I think it's a good concept, but I agree the planets are unnecessary, I think it's just the portable nature of them. Much like Bionicle canisters and Slizer packs, they are a self contained item which double as something vaguely plot-relevant (I tink the slizer ones were supposed to be their ships and the Bionicle ones, for some of the sets anyway, were how the Toa reached the island of Mata nui). It means kids can take their lego around places, without fear of losing pieces on the way, because they're held securely inside the boxes.
CaptainFordo

Postby naugem » Thu May 10, 2012 10:33 am

I don't get the appeal of the planets either. Though I guess a Star Wars planets christmas tree might look cool. The only justification I would have for buying one of these is if they have a really cool or unique figure, which may very well be the case with Lobot.
naugem

Return to Star Wars