Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Lord of the Rings: The Videogame

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO Lord of the Rings: The Videogame

Postby ccjwprongs » Thu May 10, 2012 12:01 am

While that may not strictly be the title, the back of the Shelob set box at 0:29 clearly shows an advert for a LOTR videogame in the lower left corner...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r6oLyAcBs0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No clues on whether it'll include The Hobbit, but I'd assume not - more likely a separate game will be released to coincide with the second film next year.
Neeeooowwwwww
ccjwprongs

Re: LEGO Lord of the Rings: The Videogame

Postby CaptainFordo » Thu May 10, 2012 2:21 am

Inevitable really. Warner owns LOTR, Warner owns Travellers Tales, Lego has the LOTR licence, it's the logical step. Just a shame that there's no lego Avengers game, I wonder if that's due to Warner preventing TT from working on one. I wouldn't mind but it doesn't seem like we'll be getting ANY Avengers game =/
CaptainFordo

Postby LEGOlas » Fri May 11, 2012 4:46 am

Will this include the Hobbit?
LEGOlas

Postby batsamd » Fri May 11, 2012 8:05 am

CaptainFordo wrote:Just a shame that there's no lego Avengers game, I wonder if that's due to Warner preventing TT from working on one. I wouldn't mind but it doesn't seem like we'll be getting ANY Avengers game =/

I'm guessing there's no Avengers game because there isn't enough material for a game.

Since LEGO only has the license for the movie Avengers, I'm guessing they can't produce a game based on an original story, like the LEGO Batman games are.

If you look at other LEGO games based on movies, they have all had at least 3 movies to make a $50 game.
LEGO Star Wars 1 (Eps. 1-3, 3 movies)
LEGO Star Wars 2 (Eps. 4-6, 3 movies)
LEGO Star Wars Complete collection (Eps 1-6, 6 movies)
LEGO Indiana Jones 1 (IJ 1-3, 3 movies)
LEGO Indiana Jones 2 (IJ 1-4, 4 movies)
LEGO PotC (1-4, 4 movies)
LEGO Harry Potter 1 (Years/movies 1-4, 4 movies)
LEGO Harry Potter 2 (Years/movies 5-7, 4 movies, 7 had two movies so it's counted twice)

Looks like the LotR game will be based off of the 3 LotR movies, so again one LEGO game will encompass all 3 movies. Never read the books, is Hobbit 3 books as well? If not, maybe they'll do like IJ 2 and redo the LotR levels and add Hobbit levels once the movie(s) come out.

Right now there just isn't enough Avengers movie material to warrant a $50 LEGO game, in my opinion. If Avengers makes it to No. 3 (like there's any doubt about that) I'm sure we'll see a LEGO Avengers game then.
batsamd

Postby Mister Ed » Fri May 11, 2012 8:27 am

batsamd wrote:Looks like the LotR game will be based off of the 3 LotR movies, so again one LEGO game will encompass all 3 movies. Never read the books, is Hobbit 3 books as well? If not, maybe they'll do like IJ 2 and redo the LotR levels and add Hobbit levels once the movie(s) come out.

The Hobbit is just one book (though it looks like they are going to be scrounging two movies out of it).

I'd prefer that they just put it all in one game, but I guess that's unlikely with it being 5 movies total. Makes it kind of awkward, though, since two movies doesn't seem enough for one game, and 5 would be kind of crowded even in a IJ2-style re-do format for three of them.
Mister Ed

Postby emmtwosix » Fri May 11, 2012 9:07 am

Mister Ed wrote:
batsamd wrote:Looks like the LotR game will be based off of the 3 LotR movies, so again one LEGO game will encompass all 3 movies. Never read the books, is Hobbit 3 books as well? If not, maybe they'll do like IJ 2 and redo the LotR levels and add Hobbit levels once the movie(s) come out.

The Hobbit is just one book (though it looks like they are going to be scrounging two movies out of it).

I'd prefer that they just put it all in one game, but I guess that's unlikely with it being 5 movies total. Makes it kind of awkward, though, since two movies doesn't seem enough for one game, and 5 would be kind of crowded even in a IJ2-style re-do format for three of them.

The interesting thing is, Tolkien originally intended The Lord of the Rings to be a single book as well, but the publishers wanted/had to break it up into three volumes for various reasons. In addition to this, the three volumes are listed as one novel, The Lord of the Rings, for sales ranking purposes.

Maybe they'll make The Silmarillion into a movie and put it and the two Hobbit movies into a separate game. ;)
emmtwosix

Postby Brainslugged » Fri May 11, 2012 2:18 pm

They also have all the LOTR sets up on the Toys R Us website. Some seriously hefty mark-ups though - an average of over 25%. They have Attack on Weathertop for $80 when it should be $60. Tempted to break my TRU boycott to pay $5 over the odds for the Ninjago Mech, but I think I'll be able to resist being gouged for the LOTR sets.
Brainslugged

Postby CaptainFordo » Fri May 11, 2012 3:02 pm

batsamd wrote:
CaptainFordo wrote:Just a shame that there's no lego Avengers game, I wonder if that's due to Warner preventing TT from working on one. I wouldn't mind but it doesn't seem like we'll be getting ANY Avengers game =/

I'm guessing there's no Avengers game because there isn't enough material for a game.

Since LEGO only has the license for the movie Avengers, I'm guessing they can't produce a game based on an original story, like the LEGO Batman games are.

If you look at other LEGO games based on movies, they have all had at least 3 movies to make a $50 game.
LEGO Star Wars 1 (Eps. 1-3, 3 movies)
LEGO Star Wars 2 (Eps. 4-6, 3 movies)
LEGO Star Wars Complete collection (Eps 1-6, 6 movies)
LEGO Indiana Jones 1 (IJ 1-3, 3 movies)
LEGO Indiana Jones 2 (IJ 1-4, 4 movies)
LEGO PotC (1-4, 4 movies)
LEGO Harry Potter 1 (Years/movies 1-4, 4 movies)
LEGO Harry Potter 2 (Years/movies 5-7, 4 movies, 7 had two movies so it's counted twice)

Looks like the LotR game will be based off of the 3 LotR movies, so again one LEGO game will encompass all 3 movies. Never read the books, is Hobbit 3 books as well? If not, maybe they'll do like IJ 2 and redo the LotR levels and add Hobbit levels once the movie(s) come out.

Right now there just isn't enough Avengers movie material to warrant a $50 LEGO game, in my opinion. If Avengers makes it to No. 3 (like there's any doubt about that) I'm sure we'll see a LEGO Avengers game then.

Well, depending on how far the licence extends, there are 6 movies if we included the solo flicks. All part of the same continuity and one would assume therefore, the same licence. Though, given that Mega Bloks previously held the solo licences there could potentially be issues there.
CaptainFordo

Postby LEGOlas » Mon May 14, 2012 10:42 am

Don't besmirch this forum with mentions of those dreadful solo flicks!
LEGOlas

Postby CaptainFordo » Mon May 14, 2012 1:45 pm

What's wrong with them? I liked all of them.
CaptainFordo

Postby LEGOlas » Thu May 17, 2012 4:24 am

CaptainFordo wrote:What's wrong with them? I liked all of them.

Aren't we talking about the LOTR movie that put "Frodo and the nine fingers" to overly dramatic music?
LEGOlas

Postby CaptainFordo » Fri May 18, 2012 4:14 am

LEGOlas wrote:
CaptainFordo wrote:What's wrong with them? I liked all of them.

Aren't we talking about the LOTR movie that put "Frodo and the nine fingers" to overly dramatic music?

No... lol I was talking about the Avengers solo flicks i.e. Captain America, Iron Man 1 + 2, Incredible Hulk, Thor
CaptainFordo

Postby LEGOlas » Fri May 18, 2012 4:31 am

Oh, sorry! I totally missed that. We were on two different tracks. :x
LEGOlas

Postby Walter Boy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:24 am

Walter Boy

Postby Joedward » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:03 am

I don't like the talking. What happened to the funny mumbling?
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Astrote713 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:52 am

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes!!! :D

I wasn't sure when it came to Lego Batman 2, but in this, I'm all for the voices.
Astrote713

Postby SevFalcon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Nice.

I wonder if they'll be using the original actors' voices or have some new ones. Come to think of it, they probably have enough material from the trilogy to use....
SevFalcon

Postby zwolya » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Everything that has been said in the trailer was lifted directly from the movie, so is it safe to assume that it was lifted directly from the movie? As in, all of the original actors, in context? That may limit the Lego humor opportunities a bit, but when Lego Gandalf said "You shall not pass" I nearly lost it. Well played, TT.
zwolya

Postby CaptainFordo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:45 am

I would assume they'd just use the audio clips from the films, re-hiring all the actors would be expensive, though they might go the route of some games and use soundalikes in some places (In the Iron Man game, Robert Downey Jr. voiced Tony Stark but some other guy voiced Iron Man...)
CaptainFordo

Postby DarthNick » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Hey guys, Playstation did a cool interview with a guy from TT Games about the game. You can check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VLGK6rhA2c&feature=plcp
DarthNick

Next

Return to Licensed Themes