Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Figures - Many Themes: Superheroes, Tron, Dr. Who, and

There's more to LEGO than building, here you can take the hobby in a much different direction.

Moderator: Kaminoan

Re: New Figures - Many Themes: Superheroes, Tron, Dr. Who,

Postby Solo » Tue May 17, 2011 10:52 am

Why do you switch between the standard black dot style eye and the creepy more detailed eyes? It's nice that you stay consistent within each group, but I'm wondering why you gave Doctor Who the more old school look.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Kaminoan » Tue May 17, 2011 11:07 am

It really merely depends on the theme. I like the expressive eyes for certain things. Since Doctor Who fits into the element (LEGO buildings) so easily I used the older school options. Honestly didn't think much about it, just thought it looked better that way.

Good point, will more closely examine it in the future.

I take it you do not like the more detailed eye, similar to the ExoForce, you prefer the old black dot or the black dot with highlight?

Jared
Kaminoan

Postby Solo » Tue May 17, 2011 11:50 am

I'm pretty inconsistent in my tastes. I do like the dot styles hands down, but Exoforce managed to look good too and I've seen those heads worked into custom figures with mixed results. Meanwhile the Clone Wars style, from the design as a whole to the eyes alone, just looks terrible to me... the only appropriate use for them is burn victims and sewer mutants. Maybe some aliens. You have a different style than either of those though, it looks closer to the NBA line. Not nearly as bad as the CW style, but it really varies from figure to figure. It just seems like a detail that more often than not detracts from the figure than improves it.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Kaminoan » Tue May 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I appreciate like the more expressive eyes as I believe they really capture the face. You can capture happiness easily with the dot eyes, but it doesn't always work for other emotions. So I vary what I do. I wish Clone Wars had shifted the eyes a bit, I think they could have kept the same style as the show with a small alteration, but they didn't ask me. At the end of the day it is all about what you like. Thanks for the 2 cents. I will keep it in mind and consider perhaps both sets.

Jared
Kaminoan

Postby BrickBits » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:07 am

Great to see The Doctor! Particularly enjoying Three & Six -- the question-mark vest must have been a PITA. I hope you don't mind me saying so, but while I feel like Ten reads as himself in the context of the other figs, maybe painting on the white trainers would help him be more obviously him? Amazing work, regardless of my $ .02. :D
BrickBits

Postby uruk-hailordoflords » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:40 pm

is the blue guy a smurf i loive smurfs need to do one myself (it has to be papa beard gives it away) :lol: :)
bow to the will of LOTR! urukhailordoflords
uruk-hailordoflords

Postby tahdas » Fri May 04, 2012 8:35 am

I like the doctors! I've actually done one myself: http://365legophotos.blogspot.com/2012/ ... -song.html
Last edited by tahdas on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tahdas

Postby SevFalcon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Very solid work on the 3 Hals and Cap. If the red Hal had an alternate angry face, it would be perfect....
SevFalcon

Postby gomek » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:19 pm

I like the Green lantern figures.

i do agree that the open eye designs look a little un-lego-like
gomek

Postby Darth-3po » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:16 pm

I love the Dr.who (big fan) and superhero figs, keep up the great work.
Darth-3po

Return to Custom Minifigs