Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

CUUSOO Back to the Future Entry Reaches 10,000 Votes

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

CUUSOO Back to the Future Entry Reaches 10,000 Votes

Postby Staff » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:43 pm

It was only a matter of time. M.togami's "Back to the Future(BTTF) - DeLorean Time Machine" LEGO CUUSOO entry has reached its goal. Does this mean we'll have a LEGO DeLorean in our future? Maybe. Maybe not. Consider the licensing that is likely required. Universal Pictures. Amblin Entertainment. DeLorean Motor Company. It's quite a hurdle beyond designing a set that might one day grace store shelves or LEGOShop, but hopefully it's a hurdle that LEGO is willing to overcome to deliver a stellar and geek-tastic product. Who knows, perhaps LEGO has considered a Back to the Future license in the past and the paperwork's already been done...

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/04/28/cuusoo-back-to-the-future-entry-reaches-10000-votes/
Staff

Re: CUUSOO Back to the Future Entry Reaches 10,000 Votes

Postby CaptainFordo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:16 am

I request the oy-est of veys...

I feel like it's a big shame so many cuusoo's are licence based. Obviously everybody wants the licence of their dream to be released, but while "Back to the Future" is a licence that fits in well with Lego's values (unlike Shaun) it's unlikely to be a big seller I think, so I doubt it will happen. I mean there are plenty of BTTF fans, but enough to be worth investing in the creation of a new product or product line? I don't know...
CaptainFordo

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:10 am

I hold out hope because BTTF has had numerous licensed products from smaller companies than LEGO. It shouldn't be too hard to get the license.

This would be super cool, but I'm fine making my own DeLorean if the deal falls through.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby CaptainFordo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:30 am

Smaller, but also more niche. The kind that cater to a very specific audience, I'm not sure a big brand like Lego will consider something like BTTF worthwhile, but then they did do Minecraft...so...
CaptainFordo

Postby cas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:32 am

CaptainFordo wrote:I feel like it's a big shame so many cuusoo's are licence based. Obviously everybody wants the licence of their dream to be released

This is my sentiment as well. This particular entry feels more like a "Theme" than as single, focused entry. I'd personally rather see a BttF theme with 4 or 5 sets total rather than a one-off. Even better, I'd like to see a DeLorean ala the Volkswagon camper van (UCS, or non-UCS, I don't care). Taking it a step further, and tangentially, I think it be sweet to see a line of "Movie" cars. DeLorean, Batmobile (again), Ecto-1, Aston Martin DB5, etc.
CaptainFordo wrote:The kind that cater to a very specific audience, I'm not sure a big brand like Lego will consider something like BTTF worthwhile, but then they did do Minecraft...so...

I'd say there is a larger fanbase overall for BttF than Minecraft, but Minecraft is current and has the larger internet-centric fanbase, but you're right, this is more of a niche product. Maybe Lego could make it limited and put a "collector" size pricetag on it. Heh.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby majortom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:43 am

How did he make the bonnet? I don't recognise those tan pieces and as far I'm aware you can't attach anything on that large shallow bley slope (if it is the one I'm thinking of: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4515)
Can you include custom elements on CUUSOO?
majortom

Postby cas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:51 am

The tan pieces are these. And I'm reasonably sure that none of the pieces on the bonnet are attached, they're just sitting there or glued.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby majortom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks Cas, I was totally unaware those tan parts existed! They look useful.

It's a shame that it's not totally 'pure', I would have attempted to reverse-engineer one for myself. it still looks pretty slick though.

I agree with the sentiments regarding licensing, although it's totally understandable why so many MOCs are based in 'licensed universes' or from popular culture. I'm guilty of this too; up until recently all my MOCs have been exclusively Star Wars based, and I'm currently working on my own version of the Quinjet as seen ion the latest Avengers movie.

Personally, I think it's harder to connect with something that isn't based in popular culture. Don't get me wrong, there are hundreds of innovative and inspiring creations up on the web, but I'd be more inclined to vote/ buy a model based on my favourite TV series/ movie than somebody's original/ 'generic' creation. The large majority of my bricks indeed come from Star Wars or other licensed sets. I'm guessing anything licensed and through CUUSOO will be even more expensive than usual..
majortom

Postby Walter Boy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Great Scott!

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. :)
Walter Boy

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Walter Boy wrote:Great Scott!

I know, this is heavy, right? XD

This would be the first CUUSOO product I'd be interested in buying, and I don't think it should be too difficult to get the licensing. I already have several DeLorean MOCs sitting on my shelf, but if this comes with some good minifigs and perhaps a printed hoverboard, I'm sold. Ultimately, it would be great if this came with interchangeable parts to modify it into the the three versions from all three films.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby CaptainFordo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:02 pm

majortom wrote:Personally, I think it's harder to connect with something that isn't based in popular culture. Don't get me wrong, there are hundreds of innovative and inspiring creations up on the web, but I'd be more inclined to vote/ buy a model based on my favourite TV series/ movie than somebody's original/ 'generic' creation. The large majority of my bricks indeed come from Star Wars or other licensed sets. I'm guessing anything licensed and through CUUSOO will be even more expensive than usual..

Too true, I bought my Avengers stuff more because of the Avengers name than the Lego one. Though it was also a yearning to build something again.
CaptainFordo

Postby crazybirdman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:07 am

CaptainFordo wrote:I feel like it's a big shame so many cuusoo's are licence based.

Indeed. There are some great non-licensed ideas out there, but if the get submitted, they are buried under all this other stuff, that while being very popular, probably won't get made.
crazybirdman

Return to Licensed Themes