Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Helms Deep can be made with wall sections from Uruk Hai Army

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Helms Deep can be made with wall sections from Uruk Hai Army

Postby Brickmythic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Hey guys, most of Helms Deep can be made out of the Wall section found in the Uruk Hai Army builder set.

You will need roughly 6-8 wall sections from the looks of things. And bricklinking the rest of the parts will be simple. If you dont have them already (lots of castle pieces). I spent about 40 minutes matching parts and that 1 wall section is pretty much 90% of the bricks found in Helms Deep.

The amazing thing about the Uruk Hai army builder set is that it already includes great minifigs and a new Horse. It also includes the staircase element which is expensive in its own right.

So you essentially get Super Value from this one kit.

Since many people planned on buying several Uruk Hai army builder sets for obvious reasons, I just wanted to throw out the fact that there really is no reason except for Theoden to buy Helms Deep.

There are a few stickers(maybe the banner with a horse is printed) you will need to be 100% complete but they wont be hard to pick up.

I dont know if Lego is genius or just plain dumb. or if they expect consumers to be dumb, or are they throwing us AFOL's a very large bone?
Brickmythic

Re: Helms Deep can be made with wall sections from Uruk Hai

Postby majortom » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:25 am

Each to his own, but I've never understood the attraction of 'army building'; I've seen so many photos on the flickr of literally hundreds (sometimes maybe a thousand) of duplicate minifigs lined up 'on display' and I just think, 'why?'. This isn't a dig at those kind of collectors, but I personally just cant see the attraction, even more so justify the cost.

I'd much rather build my own Helm's deep. The LEGO rendition is hardly true to the movie -maybe perhaps the book, as we can envision it however we desire- but still doesn't do the scale of the thing justice, so I deem the staircase element etc. mentioned above redundant, and if you bought multiple sets, you'd still end up with a load of staircases which is completely unessecary, and not to mention the new bricks with bricks printed on them (brickception?) why are these at all useful? (You can acheive a much better effect with standard bricks, to me this undermines the logic of a brick-based building set). The LEGO version looks like more of a generic castle, in my opinion, in short.

I would hardly call these sets 'value [for money]', never mind 'super value {for money]', picking up the proposed eight uruk-hai battle packs or what have you would still, I'd imagine set you back just as much, or at the least almost as much as the actual Helm's Deep set, not to mention the other required bricks from bricklink, as you suggest (Theoden will be expensive, considering he's exclusive to a high end set).

Don't mean to shoot you down, but these are just my two cents.
majortom

Postby Brickmythic » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:44 am

Dont worry man, you aren't shooting me down.

I actually feel the same way as you about some things, such as building your own helms deep.

I'm used to getting shot down. Most do it more negatively than you. so its all good.

Heck, you guys a few threads down nearly lynched me for saying we need a girl LOTR character.

Its the price to play. some are weak some are strong. some follow and some lead.

If everyone agreed on public forums something would be wrong!
Brickmythic

Postby micro » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:40 pm

When I saw the wall section I immediately thought that Lego designed it that way with the intention that people would add them to the Helms Deep set to make a more massive structure. Of course, I could be way off base.
micro

Postby cas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:19 am

micro wrote:Of course, I could be way off base.

Nope, you're actually quite correct.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Gandalf1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:43 am

majortom wrote:and not to mention the new bricks with bricks printed on them (brickception?) why are these at all useful? (You can acheive a much better effect with standard bricks, to me this undermines the logic of a brick-based building set). The LEGO version looks like more of a generic castle, in my opinion, in short.

They aren't printed, actually. They have a brick pattern molded in, and in my opinion, they add a nice effect when used in moderation. I wouldn't build an entire wall from them, definitely, but they are cool.
"I am to metaphor cheese as metaphor cheese is to transitive verb crackers."
Gandalf1

Return to Licensed Themes