Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New 'brick' brick

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

New 'brick' brick

Postby mr_joshua » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:19 pm

This has been driving me nuts and I just need some confirmation that I'm not the only one that thinks a LEGO brick that is molded to look like a brick is rediculous. I have seen 'large' 1x1 bricks built out of other regular bricks, but this backwards direction just seems silly. Would you buy a 22" monitor that was made to look like 4 smaller screens smashed together?!!??! I think not...(yes, I realize the apples/oranges comparison). I do build city and castle, but not as much as SW scenes, so I can see the applications....kind of.

Been 'off the grid' for a while and this was on my mind the whole time.
mr_joshua

Re: New 'brick' brick

Postby Solo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:57 pm

I agree. It's a strange part. On the other hand, opinions vary and I'm sure at least some town builders think it's fantastic and hope for more colors. Needless variety is still variety.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Draykov » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:25 pm

I reserve judgment until I see someone do some crazy-cool detailed work in their MOC, but Don is right - variety is good.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Morgan19 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:34 pm

mr_joshua wrote:a LEGO brick that is molded to look like a brick is rediculous.

The beautiful MOC below respectfully disagrees. It's a gorgeous building in its own right, but the accents of dark tan brick-bricks really add an extra special "something" to it...

(Click for larger image.)

m19
Morgan19

Postby Rook » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:08 pm

New texture. That’s all. ;)
Last edited by Rook on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby lowlead » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:15 am

Morgan19 wrote:The beautiful MOC below respectfully disagrees. It's a gorgeous building in its own right, but the accents of dark tan brick-bricks really add an extra special "something" to it...

Agreed.

I'm betting this new element will receive a warm welcome among MOCers. It certainly adds texture to the above modular. In real-life architecture, there's a near endless variation in stone and brick fascia, so why not a little more variation in the LEGO world? It will make buildings or just a low wall really stand out. I think it's a great piece.
lowlead

Postby Athos » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:47 am

I am not a huge fan of it. It is too rare for me to get enough quantities right now for any MOC. I think it might be useful at some point. Though I haven't obtained any to say for sure.

Steve
Athos

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:20 pm

I was able to get about 50 in a parts draft a couple months back. I really like it. Only downside is that it looks bad when layered in corners, as the pattern is lost. It's best when used like in the LOTR sets, where it's used as an occasional accent rather than a solid wall.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Iare Tosevite » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:58 am

Wouldn't using regular 1x2s make for best cornering? Like large gray bricks as edging?
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby dWhisper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 am

Are we talking the 1x2x1 dark tan that showed up in Ninjago (and will have a much bigger place in light/dark stone in the upcoming LotR) sets?

I think the real thing to look at is if we mean bricks or blocks, because even though people hate to use that term, that's what LEGO parts really are. I think they're absolutely lovely, and have been buying the heck out of Ninjago to get some of them in tan. But then again, I'm more of a town/castle builder, so I can see a whole lot of purpose to them.

That's not to say I think they're going to replace the regular 1x2x1 brick... they serve a different function. They're more an accent piece, like that lovely modular above. And like any new part, it can be overused easily and ruin any effect. But they're not much different from any other new part, like the various tiles, modified bricks, or stickers.

My only beef with these is that they tend to make a very regular pattern when you put them there, and don't mesh well with other bricks, unless you do it exactly right. If anything, they're harder to use than normal patterns or old methods of staggering and creating brick patterns.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby LEGOlas » Sun May 06, 2012 4:10 am

I love it, but so far, it's useful only for texture. It would probably be better if they expanded the idea so we could have 'brick' corner bricks, 1x3s, 1x4s, and all the others. As it is they're impossible to stagger without looking rather rubbishy.
LEGOlas

Postby uruk-hailordoflords » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:42 pm

these "brick bricks" would be bery useful for a SNOT cobblestone street , i know because i have lived in germany before.
bow to the will of LOTR! urukhailordoflords
uruk-hailordoflords

Postby GIR3691 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 pm

I can also see how they would make a good street texture, having seen some clipart of a cobblestone street once.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:08 pm

GIR3691 wrote:having seen some clipart of a cobblestone street once
What a weird world we live in now.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby fallenangel327 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:23 pm

GIR3691 wrote:I can also see how they would make a good street texture, having seen some clipart of a cobblestone street once.

I can't tell whether the satirization was intentional, but in any case, thank you.
fallenangel327

Postby Morgan19 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:17 am

Another great example, courtesy of TBB.

m19
Morgan19

Postby Draykov » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:04 pm

I was rather impressed with this little train station which has been garnering attention over at Eurobricks.

Hail Space!
Draykov

Return to General LEGO Discussions