Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2012 Podracer Challenge Winners!

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

2012 Podracer Challenge Winners!

Postby Staff » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 am

It's been a great contest with loads of fantastic entries and the final votes are in. The winner of this year's Podrace Challenge is Sparkart with his Lady Liberty based Ghostbusters Chibi Pod Racer:

The idea behind this is just too clever if you ask me, and the build is right up there as well. A well deserved 1st place design.  The collectable minifigures turned out to be an excellent source of inspiration and made the voting especially hard for everyone. Click here to view the rest of the top five entries.
Coming in a close second place is Igginz with the Godzilla Pod:

Another case of a great concept getting knocked out of the park. I sort of hoped that figure would get and entry like this, and this is way better than I imagined. Interesting to note that this received the most votes in the preliminary round.

Rounding out the top three is Volumex's Grey Alien based BluPhazem:

Of the top five finalists, this is the entry that felt the most like a "real" podracer I think, and it's a really nice design all around. It was one of my favorites and I'm happy to see it do so well.

Rockin its way into fourth place is Rook's DJ based Emsee Eezee:

Emsee Eezee [Club Style]

A cool entry made even better by some black light aided photography. It's a shame those trans blue parts aren't UV reactive as well.

Finally, in fifth place, we have ZetoVince's Super Wrestler podracer:

As the first entry to the contest, just 10 days into the build phase, I was absolutely blown away when it was posted. I conferred with Ace and if our memory serves us right this it the only time the first submission to a contest made it into the final round. It deserved it though.

I want to say congratulations to everyone because the turn out for this was incredible. I hope to see a lot of these in person next month at LEGOLand's Star Wars Days event. Thanks for participating!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/03/12/2012-podracer-challenge-winners/
Staff

Re: 2012 Podracer Challenge Winners!

Postby ZetoVince » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:33 am

Congrats to all the winners! Tough contest, tough voting ...and almost fair results (because infomaniac's Macho Taco Racer didn't placed among the winners)!
ZetoVince

Postby Rook » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:15 am

What! I thought Godzilla had this one in the bag! Amazing detailing with the water, waves, ships, etc. Oh well. I was hoping I'd make 3rd. I knew Volumex was going to beat me for sure. I'm surprised everyone liked the Ghostbusters, though it was very clever. :thumbsup:
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby sparkart » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:34 am

Wow! Thanks to all the voters and kudos to all the builders for amazing and amusing creations. Each contest at FBTB seems to gets more impressive and entertaining.

The big-bang of ZetoVince's Super Wrestler really started the party strong, great design and clever construction. Out of the gate, it was a finalist contender, it had my vote. Rook's Rapper took me to school, I didn't know those pieces could glow! Very cool effect, solid design. Volumex's BluPhazem is the epitome of clean, beautiful, elegant design, perfect presentation, with parts usage I can't begin to understand...it's so alien. I didn't know these parts even exist, and how did you polish the clear parts to perfection, and how can they be put together like that?! There will always be a soft spot in my heart for anything Godzilla/Gojira/Kaiju, so Igginz's Godzilla tribute won me over immediately, not just with the theme, the humor, and design, but with the excellent microscale detail.

Such a funny menagerie of creatures in this contest, like a twisted Animal Planet espisode featuring dinosaurs, dragons, horses... and beavers?! Or was it more like a Food channel food fight, with tacos, bananas, butchers? It just doesn't end what made me smile and chuckle.

Thanks to FBTB for putting this together and I hope to see a lot of these at LEGOLAND at the end of the month for Star Wars Days.
sparkart

Postby Rook » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 am

Yeah I really like the CMF vs SWU mash that has come on across the community. Fun, fun, fun!
Rook

Postby hansok49 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Before I say anything I just want to say that every one of the top five deserved it and are amazing builds. That being said, I just feel that the other entries fit the description of the contest better than the winner. My first reaction to Sparkdart's was wow that is an amazing build and I immediately recognized it as ghost busters. The Chibi style made it even better and the detail of the ghost catcher was great. But then I looked closer and found myself wondering why lady liberty was driving. Now this doesn't take anything away from the build it truly is amazingly creative and well done. The only beef I have is that you have to read the back story (also creative) to get why the statue is driving. With the other entries in the final you immediately understand who is driving and it makes sense immediately. Now some may say that having to read the story is what makes it great and it shows creativity, more creativity than just building a pod that goes along very clearly with the character. I would respond by pointing out the runner up in this contest. A guy in a dinosaur suit and he makes him into Godzilla attacking a microscale city? That's pretty darn creative. Same goes our fourth place finisher, model turntables and awesome lighting to create the appearance of electronics is super creative too. These two entries are very creative and immediately make sense with the minifig they are associated with. Really anyone of these entries could have won and it would be deserving and you could make arguements for against any of the entries as well. So I guess this is just my personal opinion even though I still love the entry that won. I having a real internal struggle here, the entry is great but does it fit theme? Well, it's taking the theme and putting a creative spin on it, after all pods are from star wars so why can't there be a statue of liberty shaped bounty hunter droid who races pods? But why is the pod ghostbuster themed? AHHHH Never ending loop! Okay, I'm done arguing with myself I'll go away now. Great job everyone!
hansok49

Postby Morgan19 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:46 pm

hansok49 wrote:...and found myself wondering why lady liberty was driving... you have to read the back story (also creative) to get why the statue is driving... But why is the pod ghostbuster themed? AHHHH... With the other entries in the final you immediately understand who is driving and it makes sense immediately.

I'm honestly trying to figure out if you're serious or not. You don't have to read any backstory; the pod makes perfect thematic sense. The Statue represents New York, where both movies take place. And more specifically it was a huge part of the Ghostbusters 2 plot. I personally took it to be a Ghostbusters 2-themed pod, and an exceptionally creative and well thought-out one at that. Easy-peesy.

m19
Morgan19

Postby Rook » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:57 am

Yeah I instantly recognized it as being from this scene.

But I understand why people didn't like it. To me it was incredibly creative but lacked a certain percentage of SWU feel aka the Pod Racer element. But I'm just glad I made top 5. Don't get me wrong prizes would have been cool, especially a FBTB t-shirt *cough cough*. :lol:

It also took me a few seconds to realize that he made his pod into this:

Which was another very clever design element.
Rook

Postby Iare Tosevite » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:52 am

Congats! I love em. :)
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Walter Boy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:45 am

Congrats! A wonderful winning entry. The rest of the entries were fantastic as well. Great stuff.
Walter Boy

Postby volumex » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:17 am

Well played, congrats to sparkart who took some liberty in bringing an interesting idea to the table. I was surrounded in great company here, all of you guys rocked with different concepts. A big shout out to FBTB who created an awesome contest, a real 'open book' idea which give every builder the keys to 96 options! I really had alot of fun.

Thanks guys! :)
volumex

Postby hansok49 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:30 am

Well don't I look like a fool! Turns out sparkdart's entry made perfect sense. I guess I have never seen ghostbusters 2. All I remember about ghostbusters is the giant marshmallow man and something about not crossing streams. My bad Sparkdart. And thank you to everyone for educating me about ghostbusters. Congrats again to sparkdart and all the top 5.
hansok49

Postby Solo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:02 am

I like that you got his name wrong three times. It almost feels intentional. ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Rook » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 am

Ah Dan Silo, you're so funny! XD I thought the same thing. :x
Rook

Postby snail2go » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:36 am

Man these are greeat!! I wish I had my lego with me at school to have done this....
snail2go

Postby Fatyankee » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:33 pm

Gratz to some great entries, Truly works of art

Hope you get your prizes sooner than i did ( still waiting for 2011' s)
,,, Just kidding (I'm sure it's on its way) and i don't want to get flamed for been ungrateful , But in all seriousness these finalist have been some of the best contest entries i have seen on this site in the last 3 years , Congratulations to everyone who made it to finals
Fatyankee

Postby Solo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:05 am

I'm literally sitting next to Ace trying my best to guilt him into sending out all of the backlogged prizes he's been putting off for various reasons. Level 80 procrastinator up in here.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Igginz » Mon May 28, 2012 8:42 pm

Fatyankee wrote:Gratz to some great entries, Truly works of art

Hope you get your prizes sooner than i did ( still waiting for 2011' s)

I'm sorry, but that's just irresponsibly crappy. What if the winning was something you had intended to buy anyway (like the minifigures, or this contest's Avengers sets) but because you were expecting them from the contest you won, you held off and weren't able to play with them for over a year?

I don't think Lego would want to sponsor further contests if they knew their prizes never made it to the contest winners. And I wouldn't be that concerned with what the moderators feel about what you said, you aren't the one doing anything wrong.
Igginz

Postby Igginz » Mon May 28, 2012 8:45 pm

I totally had a blast with both contests I've entered so far, and can't wait to see what the future will bring, so I don't want to make it seem like I don't appreciate the work it must take to run these contests. :)
Igginz

Postby Rook » Tue May 29, 2012 8:01 am

I spoke to staff about this before they told me that most of their prizes actually come from money they earn with website activity (based off of ads in the sidebars etc.) so TLG really doesn't have much to do with prizes usually. However still sucks if you didn't get something you earned. :/ Best of luck.
Rook

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds