Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[POLL] 2012 Podracer Challenge: Final round!

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Pick your favorite pod from the five below:

Poll ended at Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:59 pm

13%
13%
20%
26%
28%

Total votes : 158

Re: [POLL] 2012 Podracer Challenge: Final round!

Postby bmark8511 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:25 am

My vote is for the alien podracer,The rest are cool but they don't bet the alien's pod.Bmark8511
bmark8511

Postby onions » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:22 am

@uruk-hailordoflords:
no need for name calling so knock if off.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Master Beef » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Man, this was a hard choice. It was really hard to vote for a single pod because they all have have different strengths and incorporate different techniques. Good luck and congrats to the top 5.
Master Beef

Postby olive » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:54 am

darthbooji wrote:agreed -- I've tried IE, Firefox and Chrome -- and none of them seem to give me a "vote" option...

me too
olive

Postby Aleegeeoo76 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:30 am

:)
Last edited by Aleegeeoo76 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aleegeeoo76

Postby Starado » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:57 am

You have nice pod, but no votes, I liked the engines of yours. Many good ones to choose from, I will enter next time.
Starado

Postby Chief » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:52 am

Just out of curiosity, why do people feel the need to explain their votes? This trend seems to have started with the Bounty Hunter Contest, and has reared its head again in this contest. This is a private poll. Sometimes it feels like the added commentary is hurtful to contestants who aren't getting your vote.

Not attacking, but genuinely curious about this.
Chief

Postby Rook » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:50 am

@uruk-hailordoflords:

Lighting is key to photography. The only difference with that one from the other entries is it used a different type of light source than the other entries. Which personally works since rapper/MC = night club and the lighting gave it a nice night club feel. As for as being the "only" thing. Click on the picture to check the details. ;)

Good eye by the way on spotting the color of arm change from black to gray on naugem's dwarf. I hadn't noticed that.

From past experience it’s pretty easy to miss a rule by accident and get DQ’d. I don't think they did it on purpose (elf and dwarf). I’ve had to re-read contests posts up to 8 times before finally posting an entry to make sure I that caught every detail of the contest. :x
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby cas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 am

Chief wrote:Sometimes it feels like the added commentary is hurtful to contestants who aren't getting your vote.

A lot of these comments seem completely superfluous to me. Some seem purposefully antagonistic, some are posts for the sake of posting. I like to see discussion and criticism (both positive and negative criticism where it's appropriate) of creations, but there isn't much of an actual discussion going on, instead one-off posts that don't contribute anything worthwhile.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Morgan19 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:41 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering about those types of comments...

I think I'd actually prefer the voting threads to be just for voting, no replies allowed–– leave the discussions to a more appropriate place in the entrants' individual [MOC] threads, if they chose to make one. I bet snide/rude comments would be less common since it wouldn't be as effortless to make knee-jerk comments right after you've voted.

m19
Morgan19

Postby Rook » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:46 pm

I look at as like having sports commentators or the cheers and jeers from the crowd as Beckham kicks a corner kick. We have Lego fans cheering and booing as the game ensues. I enjoy it but you're right some of it is pointless, just background noise in the crowd.
Rook

Postby banthafodder » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:31 pm

I think that we see more of it with the pod racers because they fall into two distinct categories. You have the ones that look more like a traditional podracer with some elements to fit the desired theme and those that look like parade floats. Both are equally good and creative but some people may like one more than the other. I feel most of the comments are in good fun. I think it also helps some of the future builds as to what people generally like and would vote for.
BTW @ Rook The lighting and photography put your pod at a whole different level.
banthafodder

Postby Rook » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Yeah I would have loved to add some strobe lights, glow sticks, and kicking bass line but we were limited to still photography. :p
A little Speed Racer meets Tron meets Go meets Star Wars. XD
Rook

Postby ted @ndes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:38 pm

All I know is, I'm so pumped for the Kar Dela and the Good Intentions!! ;)

When it comes to actual government elections, in the USA it's illegal in virtually all precincts to campaign/electioneer for anyone within a certain distance of a polling place. Perhaps these commenters are too young to have voted to know that (or live in a less democratic society), but the same decorum would be nice.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby banthafodder » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:54 pm

Are you not bombarded with campaign commercials, billboards, and the such on the way to the polls?
banthafodder

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:06 pm

darthbooji wrote:agreed -- I've tried IE, Firefox and Chrome -- and none of them seem to give me a "vote" option...

Are you getting to this thread by clicking through the "Contests & Community Builds" forum from the main index, or are you getting here through something like "View Active Topics"?

Because when I navigated here through "View Active Topics" (which is how I routinely navigate these forums) I got no voting functionality, but it appeared when I went to the Board Index and navigated in through "Contests & Community Builds".
Mister Ed

Postby ted @ndes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Are you not bombarded with campaign commercials, billboards, and the such on the way to the polls?

On the way is not the same as at the polls, or inside the polls where voting takes place. The latter is considered electioneering/voter harrasment. Where voting takes place has to be free of that by a certain distance (I think it's 100 yards, but that can vary...).

In the context of FBTB contests, people should open up a seperate contest discussion thread or something to be more considerate.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby Felix the Cat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Uh, yeah... I can't seem to figure out how to vote. I've tried accessing this page through a number of different ways, but it's all the same: no vote option. Someone please help? :s
Felix the Cat

Postby olive » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:10 pm

Mister Ed wrote:

Are you getting to this thread by clicking through the "Contests & Community Builds" forum from the main index, or are you getting here through something like "View Active Topics"?

Because when I navigated here through "View Active Topics" (which is how I routinely navigate these forums) I got no voting functionality, but it appeared when I went to the Board Index and navigated in through "Contests & Community Builds".

thank you
olive

Postby emmtwosix » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:12 pm

Wow, really hard choice again!

banthafodder wrote:I think that we see more of it with the pod racers because they fall into two distinct categories. You have the ones that look more like a traditional podracer with some elements to fit the desired theme and those that look like parade floats. Both are equally good and creative but some people may like one more than the other.

I noticed the same thing - there was a definite separation in the field. Theme-based or classic podracer...maybe next time around, if there's enough interest, the "powers that be" can be coaxed into setting up two different entry classes?

Regardless, this was an extremely tight field. Well done everyone!
emmtwosix

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds