Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Transparent Yellow

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Transparent Yellow

Postby Draykov » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:55 pm

This might be one of those questions that was asked and answered so many times and so long ago that I've just tuned out reality, but I figured I'd ask anyway: where has trans-yellow gone? I know we've seen it used with some elements recently. But with the emergence of the NeoClassic Space site...well, obviously I'm biased in favor of the heavy use of trans-yellow windscreens and such, but it just seems like we don't see trans-yellow (the non-neon variety) very often. Is there a reason?
Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: Transparent Yellow

Postby Iare Tosevite » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:10 pm

There was a cheese slope in that color, so it's not completely gone yet.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?ite ... colorID=19
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby theJudeAbides » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:35 pm

I agree, but I'd also have to add: what about trans-blue (regular, not light), trans-green (not yellow-green), and trans-red windscreens? It seems that all we've seen in some time is trans-clear, trans-smoke, and trans-orange.

For that matter, whatever happened to the awesome windscreens of yore? Did they die along with finger hinges? Why would LEGO do such a thing? I understand LEGO's desire to trim the parts selection, but other than your standard bricks and plates, those were some of the best, coolest pieces that LEGO produced. Why LEGO, why? :'(
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby speaknspell » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:30 am

I believe its purely an aesthetic choice my friends. When developing a new line the designers will come up with a color scheme for it. When Mars Mission was being designed I remember it specifically moving to orange based on some concept art that someone brought in to the company did. I can certainly pass along your desire for more trans-yellow, but its all about whether or not it fits into a current theme. :)

Steve
Steve's Blog - Partially Obvious
speaknspell

Postby Draykov » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:21 am

Makes sense, Steve. Thanks. I guess it's just that since I've so longed for trans-yellow windscreens that it seems like ages since trans-yellow has gotten its turn. It was starting to feel like there was some personal grudge against it within the company. ;) And theJudeAbides brings up a good point that I had forgotten to get sad over...with the "retirement" of finger hinges, some really great windscreens are no more...of course, they could eventually get the click hinge treatment like the bubble did.

speaknspell wrote:I can certainly pass along your desire for more trans-yellow, but its all about whether or not it fits into a current theme. :)

Awesome. Thanks, Steve! If you could have them work in some blue and gray brick along with that and some figs with a certain logo, I'd appreciate that. :)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Draykov » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:38 am

Thank you! Keep up the good work!
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby bluemoose » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:05 am

Draykov wrote:Thank you! Keep up the good work!

Small, but awesome, isn't it :-)

I put this down entirely to Pete Reid's (Legoloverman) constant hassling of the designers at Billund; let's hope there is more to come !

Ian
bluemoose

Return to Ask LEGO