Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

To See, Or Not To See - Episode I in 3-D

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

To See, Or Not To See - Episode I in 3-D

Postby Staff » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 am

LEGO Episode I in 3-D!

I'm not a fan of 3-D, but it seems to be all the rage and it's a huge cash grab right now so it was inevitable that Lucas would convert his films and milk the new technology for all its worth. Episode I The Phantom Menace has been back in theaters for two weeks now and has already pulled in another $36 million. It's positioned to knock The Dark Knight out of the top ten worldwide grossing films any minute now as it's already cracked the $1 billion mark, a feat unlikely for even the now iconic Star Wars. I wasn't even sure I wanted to address this, but I think it deserves a look for no other reason then there are still people going to see this movie. The question is, will you go to see it?

Maybe you already have and if so feel free to leave a comment on what you thought. Did the 3-D make it better? What further changes has Lucas made? Has it matured like a fine wine over time, or further gone down the dark path and turned completely to vinegar? I watched the film at home with my 4 year old on Monday and there are still a handful of scenes I really enjoyed and I was pleased to see him enjoy most of the same parts. I originally saw the movie twice in theaters simply to see the podracing scene again on the big screen, but I never felt it came together as a cohesive film or that it captured the charm of the OT. I won't bother to mention Jar-Jar for the purposes of this article, I'm honestly starting to feel sorry for that guy.

LEGO Episode I

I think I've decided to skip this one in theaters, though I find myself flipping and flopping on the concept more and more. It's not that I want to give any more money to uncle George because when all is said and done he'll have at least an extra $40 mil, so he'll finally be able to afford that last solid gold Cadillac to fill out his 12 car garage. I worry that I may be missing an experience I may never have another chance at (for a few years at least) and that I'm robbing my son of said experience and the chance to develop his deep seething nerd rage at an early age. As I said though, I'm not a fan of 3-D and if it's just a chance to have Binks in my face I'll pass. I saw 3-D movies when I was a kid and the new technology is just an upgrade, not a revolution. It just doesn't impress me, "Weird Al" has been singing in 3-D since this very month in 1984 and suddenly big brother thinks this is something new and exciting.

"Weird Al" Yankovic in 3-D

If I manage to steady my resolve and pass on this first offering, I know it will only get harder. The next two films were progressively better and Revenge of the Sith would probably be worth seeing again on the big screen in however many D's they present it (I'd love to hold out for Smell-O-Vision, but who has the time?). I've already committed myself to seeing the original three when they are released because I simply cannot deny myself or my son the opportunity to see them in the theater. At the very least, I hope you enjoyed the posters and I encourage you to share your opinion of this latest chapter in the drama that is Lucas' magnum opus. I'm thankful that this movie was what it was because it inspired a minimum of three slices of awesome, Richard Cheese's The Phantom Medley, "Weird Al" Yankovic's instant classic The Saga Begins and of course the famous racing scene that inspired our own pod-tastic contest.

I hope to see you all enter the contest and leave you with this...

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/02/23/to-see-or-not-to-see-episode-i-in-3-d/
Staff

Re: To See, Or Not To See - Episode I in 3-D

Postby ranwanimator » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:36 am

George Lucas will be receiving no more of my money. My love of Star Wars has been abused and beaten enough. The prequels were a joke and insulting to the legacy. Converting them to 3-D does not magically make them good movies. My general dislike of 3-D not withstanding, I can not in good conscience reward Lucas again for making the movies I loved even worse.

I do have the Special Edition OT on DVD (silver box) but I actually watch the fan edit version because it is closer to the original theatrical release.

I encourage you to watch the Star Wars Prequel reviews at redlettermedia.com. The guy has a filthy mouth and a bizzare delivery but his film analysis is dead on. The review for the Phantom Menace is almost as long as the movie itself.
ranwanimator

Postby maedhros1980 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:55 am

I plan to see it this weekend. I see and understand the points made by ranwanimator, but I still can't help but like the movies. I was talking to my friend's young daughter the other day. She recently has gotten into Star Wars and she said that Jar Jar Binks was her favorite character. We find him annoying, but the kids love him. A part of me wants to see Star Wars take the dark path and make a dark adult movie. I think I would like it a lot more, but I still enjoy these. I'm actually kind of surprised that so many people into Star Wars LEGO (a kids toy) push so hard for a more serious Star Wars film.
maedhros1980

Postby Draykov » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:59 am

ranwanimator wrote:*what he said*

Pretty much that exactly.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am

If they had rereleased it in 2D at the same time, I would have been tempted to take my kids, who haven't seen any Star Wars on the big screen. But for 3D prices (and with, from all reports, lackluster 3D) there is no WAY I'm shelling out for a family trip to see this.
Mister Ed

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:11 am

As much as I don't really care for 3D, I'm not about to pass up an opportunity to take my daughters to see Star Wars on the big screen. If it's still in theaters when I return to the states I'll be gladly handing some money over.

As far as George Lucas is concerned, I feel he can do whatever he wants to HIS movies and HIS universe. Sure I don't like some of the changes he's made, and the prequels didn't quite meet my very high expectations but I don't think they ruin the movies and I sure as hell know they don't change any of my memories of the first time I saw them.

Actually, if I was him I'd keep making changes just because the amount of anger it incites in his "fans" is more than a little bit entertaining. Some of you act like George Lucas murdered your beloved childhood pet in front of you.
MisterFubar

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:25 am

MisterFubar wrote:I'm not about to pass up an opportunity to take my daughters to see Star Wars on the big screen.

If my son was a couple of years older, it might have changed my mind on this one. He'll be seven when ANH comes out and I'm looking forward to taking him to that, changes and all.

MisterFubar wrote:As far as George Lucas is concerned, I feel he can do whatever he wants to HIS movies and HIS universe. Sure I don't like some of the changes he's made, and the prequels didn't quite meet my very high expectations but I don't think they ruin the movies and I sure as hell know they don't change any of my memories of the first time I saw them.

I'm with you there, but it still irks me that he edited out Jeremy Bulloch's voice over and switched Anakins at the end of RotJ.

Mister Ed wrote:If they had rereleased it in 2D at the same time, I would have been tempted to take my kids, who haven't seen any Star Wars on the big screen. But for 3D prices (and with, from all reports, lackluster 3D) there is no WAY I'm shelling out for a family trip to see this.

YMMV, but I purchased 2D glasses that convert 3D movies to standard 2D and when they show a movie in town with no 2D option I kick up a fuss and only pay 2D prices. I have no use for 3D, but it actually gives my wife headaches so it's pretty much a no go 95% of the time.
buriedbybricks

Postby Draykov » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:27 am

MisterFubar wrote:Some of you act like George Lucas murdered your beloved childhood pet in front of you.

I risk taking this into nerd-rage digression, but...it's more like he took my beloved childhood pet, then cloned a much dumber, more disturbing looking version of it, then left it in my room overnight with a note saying "this is Star Wars, your beloved pet from your childhood - back from the dead and better than ever" - presumably with the expectation that this...thing...will bring me the same joy and wonder that the original did. Then he destroyed any empirical evidence that the original pet ever existed and spends the next few years "re-engineering" the cloned pet and replacing it with increasingly disturbing versions.

To add insult to injury, the fond memories of my original pet are tainted by new memories of the mentally challenged monstrosities that now stink up my house and masquerade as my original beloved pet.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:37 am

I agree with you completely, MisterFubar.

It's amazing to me that we still see all the negativity surrounding the prequels, particularly Episode I. I've seen the 3D release three times now and each time it was nearly a packed house. For all the harsh opinions that are found in the "fan" community (I debate whether people who consistently trash on the Star Wars prequels and/or George himself are actually fans), I genuinely believe that the general public doesn't feel the same way. I sat next to a middle-aged gentlemen during a showing on Monday who had never seen the film before, and really enjoyed it. Even Jar Jar got a surprising amount of laughs in every showing that I've been to.

Ken, I understand your desire to go see the OT in theaters. That's probably the opinion of a lot of people. But understand that it probably won't happen unless the prequels continue to get a strong showing at the box office- it's not a guarantee that anything beyond Episode II will see release at this point. And don't just assume that profits are all going into George's pocket-- that's a very narrow point of view to take. The fact that he put up the $58 million himself to fund Red Tails is one example that he's not just the robber baron that many make him out to be. Lucasfilm has lots of projects in development at the moment that require cash, the live action series being at the forefront.
The_Chosen_1

Postby cas » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:46 am

I'm vehemently against 3D movies, any and all. It costs more. Specialized glasses are required. The colors are muted and everything looks darker. The experience is a gimmick and not worth it.

Call me when 3D movies are actually 3D (in that they occupy the XYZ planes in front of me), the colors pop, I don't have to wear glasses, and I don't have to pay more. Until then, 3D movies and the studios behind them can go :O themselves.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:55 am

The_Chosen_1 wrote:Ken, I understand your desire to go see the OT in theaters. That's probably the opinion of a lot of people. But understand that it probably won't happen unless the prequels continue to get a strong showing at the box office- it's not a guarantee that anything beyond Episode II will see release at this point. And don't just assume that profits are all going into George's pocket-- that's a very narrow point of view to take. The fact that he put up the $58 million himself to fund Red Tails is one example that he's not just the robber baron that many make him out to be. Lucasfilm has lots of projects in development at the moment that require cash, the live action series being at the forefront.

The OT will hit theaters regardless of how much the PT makes, It's a given that they will at LEAST make back the dough he put into the conversion so it would be foolish to not re-re-release them now that they've made the commitment.

As for the cash, Lucas IS Lucasfilm. If he decided to shut it all down tomorrow and blow the cash on hot air balloons and gum, he would. He chooses to reinvest the cash in more projects that he himself has basically said he doesn't want to do because it essentially lets him mint his own money.

If I get even one nanosecond of enjoyment out of it, then bravo. If not then I'm out.

If I was him, i'd probably do the same thing. I have a kid and if I had the opportunity to leave him a kajillion dollars I'd take it in a heartbeat. Artistic integrity be damned.
buriedbybricks

Postby zwolya » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:02 am

While its true that Episode 1 was one of the weakest of the bunch, and the 3D certainly left much to be desired, I went and saw it for two very important reasons:

1) On principle (it's Star Wars, for god's sake)
2) Because I was too young to have seen it in theatres the first time around, and as was mentuoned above, Podracing on the big screen is something truly awesome.

In conclusion, EpI in 3D = meh, but any Star Wars back in theatres = :D
zwolya

Postby preterosso » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:25 am

BTW: Best. Weird Al song. Ever!
_______
Just Phil
preterosso

Postby atxdad » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:46 am

I took my 7-year-olds just for their experience of seeing Star Wars on the big screen, and they are at the right age where I can expect to watch the whole series with them before they grow up. However, the 3D-effects were tame and not worth the cost premium. Lesson learned; we'll be going to the 2D screenings for the rest of them.
atxdad

Postby Gooker1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:48 am

Saw it in 3D and plan on seeing all of them in 3-D. I'm just a sucker and it's fun to see the movies on the big screen again.
Gooker1

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:57 am

atxdad wrote: Lesson learned; we'll be going to the 2D screenings for the rest of them.

Good luck with that. My understanding is that 2D screenings of these are an exceedingly rare beast. There were zero in my area (I checked, because I wasn't going if I had to spend the extra for 3D I didn't want). I guess if you actually SAW that there were 2D screenings available in your area for this first one, you'll probably be lucky enough to see them for subsequent releases, but if you are just assuming they exist, chances are you'll be out of luck.
Mister Ed

Postby Blacknight » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Don't plan on going to this again. Once in 99 was enough. What makes it even easier is my vow to boycott all Liam Neeson movies from now on after his collaboration in the shameful anti-wolf movie The Grey.
Blacknight

Postby StoutFiles » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Is it still the same story with same characters? Then no, god no.

I may break down and see Episode IV-VI though, assuming ticket prices aren't $20 by then.
StoutFiles

Postby kelano28 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Blacknight wrote:What makes it even easier is my vow to boycott all Liam Neeson movies from now on after his collaboration in the shameful anti-wolf movie The Grey.

I hope he does a sequel to Taken but this time wolves are the kidnappers...

In all seriousness though, my friends and I saw this the last weekend and had a good time. We even found new things to make fun of (for example, how Panaka is utterly useless the entire movie then pulls out a zinger on the viceroy at the very end). Do we consider it to be nearly as good as the OT? Heck no, but the experience was good and we got to see Star Wars in a theater for the first time in a long time.

Strangely, Darth Sidious's hood in a holocall might have been the most 3D-looking part of the movie.
kelano28

Postby Inzane » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:32 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:The question is, will you go to see it?

No.

ranwanimator wrote:The prequels were a joke and insulting to the legacy. Converting them to 3-D does not magically make them good movies. My general dislike of 3-D not withstanding, I can not in good conscience reward Lucas again

My feelings on this exactly.

I encourage you to watch the Star Wars Prequel reviews at redlettermedia.com. The guy has a filthy mouth and a bizzare delivery but his film analysis is dead on. The review for the Phantom Menace is almost as long as the movie itself.

I strongly 2nd this. It is impossible to defend The Phantom Menace as a movie after absorbing his film analysis.
Inzane

Next

Return to Star Wars