Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

21102 LEGO Minecraft Revealed

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

21102 LEGO Minecraft Revealed

Postby Staff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 pm

21102 LEGO Minecraft - 1

If you're like me, you don't live anywhere near Copenhagen, Denmark where LEGO World is underway from now until February 19. It is there where the official LEGO Minecraft set was unveiled just moments ago. I've been fortunate enough to be sent the official pictures from the press release to share with you. It appears to be built in micro scale given that the mobs are about the same height as a microfig. I'm sure more pics will be up and available from attendees from the event soon. I'd keep my eye on flickr for pics.

The Minecraft set was the first set from the crowd-sourcing effort LEGO CUUSOO to reach the 10,000 vote threshold once the program went live world wide. The set consists of 480 pieces and will cost you $34.99 USD or €34.99 EURO. It's available for pre-order starting TODAY from Mojang's retail partner, Jinx. It will also be available through LEGO Shop@Home and select LEGO Brand Retail stores starting in the summer.

More official pictures below, official press release below that.

And yes, the micromobs are printed, not stickered.

21102 LEGO Minecraft - 2 21102 LEGO Minecraft - 3 21102 LEGO Minecraft - 4 21102 LEGO Minecraft - 5 21102 LEGO Minecraft Micro Mobs

LEGO® Minecraft™ Micro World details unveiled, available for pre-order

BILLUND, Denmark –The LEGO Group and Mojang have released purchase details and pictures of the LEGO® Minecraft™ Micro World today.

The new set, which was the first to receive 10,000 votes of support from users on the global LEGO CUUSOO idea collection platform, will be available for purchase in summer 2012, but can be pre-ordered from today, exclusively through Mojang retail partner Jinx.com for $34.99 €34.99 at http://www.jinx.com/LEGOMinecraft. The sets will also be sold in select LEGO brand retail stores and the LEGO online shop from summer 2012.

“LEGO Minecraft Micro World is designed to celebrate the essence of the LEGO concept and the Minecraft gaming experience,” said Paal Smith-Meyer, Head of the LEGO New Business Group. Each set features four cubic modular vignettes that can be connected to recreate the Minecraft experience in LEGO bricks. One Minecraft block is represented as one 1x1 LEGO plate with a tile on top - not a perfect cube, but the best approximation at the chosen scale.

LEGO Minecraft Micro World includes two of Minecraft's most iconic characters, Steve and a Creeper, represented as "Micro Mobs." The model presents a standard for building a Minecraft world that can be configured any way the builder likes.

The surface of the modules comes off to reveal mines and hidden resources beneath. Fans can build their own landscapes, stack cubes on top of each other, to build the world of Minecraft as they wish.

The product was developed in collaboration with four LEGO fans: Chris Malloy, Michael Thomas, Kyle Tingey, and Bjarne Panduro Tveskov. These fans developed concepts alongside LEGO designers and helped shape the product into its final version.

Upon seeing the physical model the first time, Mojang founder Markus “Notch” Persson exclaimed: “Woohoo!”

LEGO CUUSOO is a website where LEGO fans can submit their ideas for new LEGO products and collect votes to make their ideas become a reality. They can also vote for other users’ ideas. It can be found at http://lego.cuusoo.com.

Ideas that are supported by 10,000 votes have a chance of being selected to become part of the LEGO Group’s product portfolio. Consumers who have their ideas chosen will earn 1% of the total net sales of the product.

Mojang will donate the 1% proceeds from LEGO CUUSOO to charity.

For more on the co-creation process for LEGO Minecraft Micro World, see the LEGO CUUSOO blog at http://legocuusoo.posterous.com.

###

About The LEGO Group
The LEGO Group is a privately held, family-owned company, based in Billund, Denmark. It was founded in 1932 and today the group is one of the world's leading manufacturers of play materials for children, employing approximately 10,500 people globally. The LEGO Group is committed to the development of children's creative and imaginative abilities. LEGO products can be purchased in more than 130 countries. www.LEGO.com

LEGO and the LEGO logo are trademarks of The LEGO Group. © 2012 The LEGO Group.

About Mojang
Mojang is an indie game development studio based in Stockholm, Sweden. Founded by Markus “Notch” Persson, Jakob Porser and Carl Manneh in October of 2010, Mojang has reached a user base of over 20 million registered users with its first game, Minecraft. Mojang is currently developing its second game Scrolls and published its first 3rd party game Cobalt in December. For more information, visit http://mojang.com/.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/02/16/21102-lego-minecraft-revealed/
Staff

Re: 21102 LEGO Minecraft Revealed

Postby Darth Mitz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:23 am

am I missing the point of all of this?

Granted I know very little about Minecraft...actually I know nothing about Minecraft however I just can not see the wow factor with this box set and why LEGO have even bothered.

I find it odd that a project like minecraft has generated 10,000 votes but no other project since the global launch, has generated close to that amount despite some of the ideas and builds being much much better. Even the Cuusoo Facebook page has only generated 5000 fans...we have to assume that there are more than 10,000 on the site because I for one didn't vote for the minecraft project...or do we assume that 9,000 people signed up just to vote for a minecraft lego set that they were never going to buy?

So far all I see, is a box which is full of fairly standard plates in very standard colours.

of course, I may have entirely missed the point of all of this...
Darth Mitz

Postby samworm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:31 am

Mojang (makers of minecraft) publish sales stats on their site:

22,241,709 registered users, of which 4,979,425 (22.39%) have bought the game.
In the last 24 hours, 62,167 people registered, and 9,208 people bought the game.

So they have sold approx 5 million copies of a game which is mainly about collecting, moving and building with square blocks. I've been playing the game for about a year and there is obvious overlap in the group of people that play this game and the group of people that buy lego. It'll be a niche product (not one for the walmart shelves) but it'll sell well online.
samworm

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:32 am

I don't play Minecraft and only have a cursory familiarity with it. My attitude has always been the same as Darth Mitz's - how exciting can it be? It's just blocks built with blocks. However, it looks like LEGO did a good job of making this set as appealing as it could possibly be. There's a pretty high degree of customizability right out of the box, which ultimately means that the LEGO set plays like the game. The fact that it's organized into little vignettes is also cool.

That said, it really is just a box full of pretty basic bricks and plates. Too bad it'll be a LEGO exclusive, which means it will never be on sale. At half-price, it would be a good buy for all those 1x1 tiles.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby puffdaddy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:44 am

I'm honestly rather surprised. I figured I wouldn't be excited to see Lego Minecraft, for all the reasons that have already been pointed out. But, I like the approach they took. It's less geared towards play, because that's what the game is for. It's much more sculptural. I like that a lot. I'll probably end up picking this up.
puffdaddy

Postby Darth Mitz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:32 am

I'm a fan of LEGO, and I appreciate amazing MoCs. For me; Cuusoo is a chance for us to see LEGO produce fan models that others would love to have the chance of building and/or owning. The two Japanese models which Cuusoo produced are far more interesting then what has evidently turned into the "1st Global Cuusso project release".

So they have sold approx 5 million copies of a game...there is obvious overlap in the group of people that play this game and the group of people that buy lego.

I guess that's my point, I can't see the "obvious" overlap.

My reasoning maybe flawed, however again if Cuusoo had the number of registered individuals (that are genuinely interested in LEGO) required for projects to pass the "qualifying stage" then surely more of the projects would have reached the mark or would be closer?

I believe the next most popular project has nearly 4,000 supporters, that is still 60% below the required number. What I am struggling with, is the argument that Minecraft players are interested in LEGO generally; if that is not the case then are none of these LEGO Minecraft fans interested in any of the other projects that are on the Cuusoo website?

Remember it is worth noting there was an overwhelming response; something like 10,000 votes in a week. Don't these same voters, who supported the Minecraft LEGO collaboration find any of the other projects appealing?

Am I Disappointed? yes.

I know there will be those of you who think otherwise, however I still can not see the attraction to this set other than a source for pieces.
Darth Mitz

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:09 am

I think it's the best result anyone could really hope for. The large sets used as prototypes would be prohibitively expensive, and this does a good job of scaling it down and keeping the look. This is a better deal than the most of the architecture line so you can just treat it as a micro scale landscaping set if you don't "get" Minecraft.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby darth_fett » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:15 am

I've only played the game once & it was a meh experience. However i've seen some awe inspiring sculptures from the site, & i love 'em! Samus Aran sits high on my list of sculptures, i keep the pics on my desktop so i can be wowed daily. I can see the appeal of this set. As a parts junkie, i could see myself getting this although i'll be giving licensed sets priority this year.
I agree with Darth Mitz though, i'm not seeing the overlap. Not 1 other set on the site has ever reached the 10,000 mark? Granted a lot of my favorites are licensed themes from anime & such. I'm sure such things as licensing issues would come into play. Here's to hoping i get some Robotech or Front Mission Cuusoo someday!
darth_fett

Postby Flynn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:29 pm

As someone who's not a Minecraft fan, I think this looks as good as it probably ever could've looked. At the very least, it'll be a great parts pack- 480 peices for 35 dollars (though, granted, most of those pieces are 1 x 1 tiles and plates).
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Sharpie Clone » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:00 pm

I guess my problem with it, other than being completely uninterested is that it's not like you needed a special set to do these builds. It's very basic stuff. The good news is with LEGO putting out some good sets that will drain my wallet, this is one that won't, because I will pass.
Sharpie Clone

Postby cas » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:12 pm

I'm seeing tons of complaints all over the internet (interspersed with sprinklings of positivity). I'm thinking, what did people expect. They got Lego, they got Minecraft. The people who voted for this won. If this bombs because morons voted purely based on emotion (I love Lego! I love Minecraft! Whatever, bandwagons are cool and unique like me!), I'm concerned it might jeopardize future creations that pass the voting stage, causing TLG to put more even thought into the review process with an increased level of doubt.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby hansok49 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:18 pm

I don't know... I find myself not excited for this at all. Maybe its because the cuusoo projects released in Japan look so much cooler than this. The set pictured here looks okay but I just can't get excited about it. Especially when there are so many ideas that look so much better like the modular western town. But I guess a lot of people liked this idea. Still cool to see something designed and decided upon by lego fans.
hansok49

Postby Draykov » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:40 pm

I think Nannan and Xzibit have summed it up pretty well:

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Iare Tosevite » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:52 pm

I can't wait to get my set. :)
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby mooslug » Wed May 30, 2012 6:14 pm

My set arrived today! (from the early batch that Amazon got in and sold through over the past few days).

One side of the box has a picture that I must have missed in the promo images, which illustrates a neat feature: I didn't realize that the 'ground' level lifts off to access the caverns inside:

Edit- more photos of the set (including cave detail that wasn't very visible in promo photos): http://www.flickr.com/photos/50105970@N06/sets/72157629975767026/
mooslug

Return to Licensed Themes