Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Ten More Years! LEGO Officially Renews Star Wars License

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Ten More Years! LEGO Officially Renews Star Wars License

Postby Staff » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Today at the New York Toy Fair The LEGO Group and Lucasfilm Ltd. confirmed our suspicions that the Star Wars license wouldn't be ending any time soon. They've signed on together for ten more years, although that doesn't necessarily mean there will only be ten more years. Great news for fellow LEGO Star Wars fans here on FBTB and everywhere. You can view the full press release by clicking here or check the forum thread.

LEGO Officially Renews Star Wars License

“The Force” Remains with The LEGO Group

-World’s leading construction toy manufacturer renews deal
to solidify LEGO® Star Wars™ franchise development-

BILLUND, Denmark (February 13, 2012) – The LEGO Group and Lucasfilm Ltd. today announced renewal of the Star Wars™ licensing deal that, 12 years ago, transformed a construction toy theme into a global entertainment property with strong cross-generational, multi-platform appeal. Fans can look forward to LEGO® Star Wars product and content development for the next 10 years, according to the terms of the deal.

The LEGO Group first acquired the rights to manufacture LEGO toys based on the Star Wars universe in 1999, marking the first time in its global history that the world’s leading construction toy manufacturer would represent someone else’s story and characters in the LEGO world. What was once considered a licensed novelty is now considered a core LEGO franchise, similar to LEGO CITY, and ranks among the company’s global top themes.

A best-seller since its introduction, LEGO Star Wars has experienced tremendous growth over the last six years in particular, due to the continued strength of core construction toy development and expansion to video games, publishing, television and video content and other relevant categories for fans of all ages.

“It is very rare to find an evergreen property that delivers growth year on year in toys, even in years without events driving box office buzz, yet Star Wars defies all odds, continually reinventing itself, and our LEGO business continues to grow exponentially,” said Jill Wilfert, Vice President of Licensing and Entertainment for The LEGO Group. “Star Wars is a cultural phenomenon that shares many characteristics with the LEGO brand–cross generational appeal, versatile story and character content, creativity and imagination—and we believe that we can continue to grow LEGO Star Wars for many years to come.”

“We are delighted to have extended our long and very successful relationship with LEGO Group,” said Derek Stothard, Senior Director for Global Toys and Hardlines at Lucas Licensing. “Bringing together these two iconic global brands has created something special that is enjoyed by kids, families and fans everywhere.”

Star Wars is as relevant—perhaps more relevant—today than it was in 1977 when it was introduced, and in 1999 when the first of the next three episodes began to be told. For 2011, Star Wars is the #1 property and #1 license for Boys ages 6 and older according to NPD Group, and has been a top 3 boy’s license for the last 11 years. The LEGO share of the property continues to grow, as new generations of children discover, engage with and explore the Star Wars stories through constructive play.

A global toy phenomenon
LEGO Star Wars continues to rank among the best-selling global toy lines, with in excess of 200 million boxes sold worldwide since its 1999 launch.  More than 340 LEGO Star Wars models have been developed, replicating iconic scenes and starships, as well as more than 425 minifigures from the Star Wars universe.  Sets depict everything from the feature film Saga to the animated television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Four cross-platform LEGO Star Wars video game titles have changed the face of casual gaming, selling in excess of 30 million units, and are reciprocally driving desire for building toys and video games while also bringing families together to share both forms of play. The line has inspired short- and long-form entertainment in the form of mini movies and the first-ever 30-minute television special, LEGO Star Wars: The Padawan Menace, aired on top children’s networks around the world, including Cartoon Network in the U.S., Super RTL In Germany and on France TV, and is now available on Blu-ray/DVD. LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary from Dorling-Kindersley has been on the New York Times Bestsellers list for 81 weeks, topping the list at number-one for 18 weeks. Additionally, the franchise is the basis of the first-ever LEGOLAND® Park Miniland display area based on a fictional environment, which debuted last year in Carlsbad, California, Billund, Denmark and Gunzburg, Germany and opens this year in Windsor, England.

About the LEGO Group
The LEGO Group is a privately held, family-owned company, based in Billund, Denmark. It was founded in 1932 and today the group is one of the world's leading manufacturers of play materials for children, employing approximately 9,000 people globally. The LEGO Group is committed to the development of children's creative and imaginative abilities. LEGO products can be purchased in more than 130 countries.

About Lucasfilm Ltd.
Lucasfilm Ltd. is one of the world's leading film and entertainment companies. Founded by George Lucas in 1971, it is a privately held, fully-integrated entertainment company.  In addition to its motion-picture and television production operations, the company's global activities include Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, serving the digital needs of the entertainment industry for visual-effects and audio post-production; LucasArts, a leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software worldwide; Lucas Licensing, which manages the global merchandising activities for Lucasfilm's entertainment properties; Lucasfilm Animation, which is currently producing content for film and television, including Star Wars: The Clone Wars, a CG-animated half-hour television series; and Lucas Online creates Internet-based content for Lucasfilm's entertainment properties and businesses. Additionally, Lucasfilm Singapore, produces digital animated content for film and television, as well as visual effects for feature films and multi-platform games. Lucasfilm's motion-picture productions include three of the 20 biggest box-office hits of all time and have received 19 Oscars and more than 60 Academy Award nominations. Lucasfilm's television projects have won 12 Emmy Awards.  Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in San Francisco, Calif.

LEGO, its logo and the Minifigure are trademarks of The LEGO Group. ©2012 The LEGO Group.

STAR WARS, THE CLONE WARS and related character names are trademarks and/or copyrights, in the United States and other countries, of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates.

©2012. TM & © Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/02/12/ten-more-years-lego-officially-renews-star-wars-licence/
Staff

Re: Ten More Years! LEGO Officially Renews Star Wars Licence

Postby SDIronClaw » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Awesome....as my wife rolls her eyes lol.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby Solo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Er... sorta jumped the gun there with that post. I'm so fired.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby cas » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 pm

I can't wait to pay $24.99 for battlepacks. Come on 2021!

I suppose we'll continue to see Clone Wars sets through the end of the series. That will probably segue into the live-action series tie-in sets. And of course, piles of remakes. Piles.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:00 pm

cas wrote:I can't wait to pay $24.99 for battlepacks. Come on 2021!
:lol:
This is interesting news. 10 more years seems like a long time, but I guess the annual 3D movie releases will carry us into 2018. With that much time, sure, there will be plenty of "remakes," but it certainly allows plenty of opportunity for new stuff. Things we've never seen before, or haven't seen since the first couple waves (cantina, cloud car, etc.). I hope we'll also see more and more EU vehicles coming from the video games.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Mofo Jones » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Look for the Sand People/Jawa Battlepack by the end of the decade, as the ideas run out...
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Cadger » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:02 am

I am more or less a completist. So I receive this news with mixed feelings.

Sure It's gonna be interresting to se the future sets! But it can hit hard on the pocket book. :S
Cadger

Postby madLEGOman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:47 pm

i'm gonna need a bigger wall....
swWall10-19-2011 by madLEGOman, on Flickr
madLEGOman

Re: Ten More Years! LEGO Officially Renews Star Wars License

Postby minicoop4 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:23 pm

You need to tag the FBTB staff members shown celebrating in the photo...
minicoop4

Postby Gooker1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 am

madLEGOman wrote:i'm gonna need a bigger wall....
swWall10-19-2011 by madLEGOman, on Flickr

ROFL - well said
Gooker1

Postby russjnco » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:41 am

Without some new movie material to pull from, ten years could be a long tough slog for TLG. No doubt we will see a lot of rehashes and with the Clone Wars cartoon nearing it's end, then I would expect some more obscure sets make their way to market. The Star Wars Lego Line will either be strikingly stale at the end or as great as ever, we shall see as it will all depend on what comes out of Skywalker Ranch.
russjnco

Ten More Years: Dear LEGO, if you do just *one* thing...

Postby Blue Squadron » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:37 pm

As the licence is officially renewed and extended (God help my bank balance...) it's now worth your while to further update some core parts of this franchise for the coming decade: please, please consider giving us *proper* Darth Vader and Chewbacca minifigures:

Vader deserves a proper update; the new torso print is fine but he really does deserve the longer legs and arms (as used for Woody and Jessie) and for full effect should have a fabric skirt, similar to that used for the new ARC trooper (albeit a little longer).

Chewie equally deserves the longer arms and legs - and an updated sculpt for the headpiece (or at least a new print!) is long overdue!

There really aren't many other figures that need this treatment and there are certainly no characters as core to the franchise who deserve to be updated like this so, c'mon, how about it...?!

:D
Blue Squadron

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:45 pm

I dunno. Think using the longer arms and legs would make Vader and Chewie look freakish next to the other figs. I mean Vader and Chewie SHOULD be taller, but I think that would make them TOO much taller. Size differences are generally minimized in minifigs, not exaggerated.
Mister Ed

Re: Ten More Years: Dear LEGO, if you do just *one* thing..

Postby Inzane » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Blue Squadron wrote:Vader deserves a proper update;

Chewie equally deserves the longer arms and legs

I don't necessarily agree with this concept of constantly updating minifigs. It's bad enough that they are doing that with the sets themselves, but now the figures too?

One of the problems with these updates is compatibility with previous sets minifigs and possibly making the old ones obsolete, irrelevant, undesirable, etc.

For example, the change to flesh color from yellow was indeed a "nice" upgrade. Made for a more accurate figure, however it created the problem of displaying flesh figs with yellow figs in the same setting. Another problem was some of the printed faces on the CW figures. They look ridiculous next to some of the regular OT/PT figures. Not that I'm big on PT anyway but if you were trying to compile a complete set of the jedi council or other prominently seen jedis from Ep I-III, you may have an ackward mix of face styles.

Or your "army" of stormies, with some having printed legs, and some not?

And on and on.
Oh well.. :(
Inzane

Postby Blue Squadron » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Yup, I wouldn't disagree with either of the above comments - I have felt much the same too.

Having said that, I still think that Vader and Chewie are worthy of the opportunity for update; the slightly longer arms and legs aren't actually that much longer than the originals but, now that they are available, they do give them just enough extra height to make them *appropriately* taller than the standard minifigs.

I tried it using the bits of my son and daughter's Toy Story sets (sorry kids...!!) and the proportions actually look about right; a lot of the additional height of the Woody minifig, for example, is down to the specific unique head for that minifig.

I fully understand the frustration with the constant revision that messes up an established collection. I really wasn't convinced by the fleshie figs when they replaced yellow - this was LEGO, dangit, and, on principle alone (!), we didn't need another colour - yellow was just fine, thank you very much. Years later and I've gotten used to the idea. Now I just need to raid Bricklink for the bits to update all my old yellow minifigs...!

All I can say is that at least an update of this type to Vader and Chewie only affects two specific characters (rather than messing things up for army builders!) and I guess you only need one of each to update your day-to-day working collection. (Well, okay, maybe a couple but you know what I mean...!!)
Blue Squadron

Postby darth_fett » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:21 pm

I just picked up the Tatooine planet set & am sorely disappointed. The two halves are both tops, not a top & bottom. That means the Death Star can have a superlaser on its nose, & another on its butt. Or its crotch, depending on how its aligned. I was hoping for a specific bottom. Likewise the landscapes are exact copies, so each planet will have 4 continental configurations. Good thing i got a Sebulba without having to buy a $100+ set.
darth_fett

Postby cas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:29 pm

The Death Star comes with two different hemispheres. There is only one superlaser dish.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby darth_fett » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Thats a relief. Does this mean that all the other planets will have the same problem? The base piece isn't worth a dang, i've had Tatooine rolling all over my mattress & nightstand. At least i'll be able to affix the Death Star to a baseplate.
darth_fett

Postby bobalego » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:31 am

Naturally this means we will see a whole line of KoToR products. The game looks cool and no doubt it must be as I have watched friends play it but if we don't start to see some of the figures and sets we have all longed for I will slowly drift off from the line...I will most likely pick up Jabba's palace but will pick up any other figures I want from Bricklink. I second or third(?) a request for a better cantina. Once again I know that making a LEGO bar is weird, which is what it boils down to but where the frak is Hammer head? Do we need to wait for a Clone Wars rendition of Momaw Nadon? or Walrus man? Two of the most iconic figures in the Star Wars universe if you played with Hasbro figures in the 70's...
bobalego

Postby Rook » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:48 am

Ah! Yes and No! Glad to here they got the extension but at the same time I'm pretty sure at some point I'm not going to be able to afford buying all the minifigure sets every year. :S
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Next

Return to Star Wars