Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Parts Draft Five: Pizza Planet Truck Rescue

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

Re: FBTB Parts Draft Five: Pizza Planet Truck Rescue

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:16 am

No worries, I'm just glad it filled up after a bit of a lull.

Besides, you can't get rid of me that easily. MWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!
buriedbybricks

Postby Chief » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:36 am

We've had one person drop out. Noahtom, check your inbox
Chief

Postby Chief » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:35 am

One person didn't pay. legochapin, check your inbox for payment instructions.
Chief

Postby Chief » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:42 am

A couple updates. Legochapin hasn't responded to my payment message, so i'm getting close to moving on to the next person on the list... which would be buriedbybricks, who would need a timeshift to 1 pm PST. How do the rest of the participants feel about that? We've got our 10th participant! I'll be sorting the sets today and get the inventory out tonight.

Also, I had a really bad knee accident yesterday (dislocation and probable ligament tearing) and my leg is now immobilized, I'm using crutches, and I'm on some really awesome painkillers. My wife is going to help me with the physical side of the draft, because there's no way I can do that part hobbling around the way I am. I'll still be manning the chat administration of the draft. The draft will go on, but please be prepared for some minor hiccups along the way.
Chief

Postby jennnifer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:12 am

So sorry about your knee! I have been there and know how bad that sucks. Take care of yourself!
jennnifer

Postby Chief » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks :) I've also been in this position before (2 surgeries apiece on each knee!) but it's been too many years and i didn't have a family relying on me back then. I'm not at work today and don't know when I'll go back. also, i forgot that crutches really freaking suck.
Chief

Postby Inzane » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Sorry to hear Chief. I can kinda relate. I have a torn (partial) ACL that was never repaired, and a loss of cartilage in both knees.
Inzane

Postby doodlebird » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:29 am

sorry to hear about your knees. that's some rough luck there. i am 100% ok with a delay in the draft... to some other saturday. really. in fact... i know this sucks, but if there's one more on the waiting list, they can have my spot. my little dude's track meet got rescheduled to saturday afternoon (RIGHT after work) so i can't do this saturday anyway.
doodlebird

Postby twbooth » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:07 pm

I don't mind a time slip. (though a date slip to next Saturday would not work for me).
twbooth

Postby Chief » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:24 pm

I've got stuff scheduled on all the other saturdays up to and past next month's draft, including my kids' birthday party next saturday :P we're sticking to 11 am PST this Saturday the 18th unless there's suddenly an overwhelming majority of participants who want a timeshift on that day.

as for a backup for doodle, buriedbybricks was the only person left on the standby, and he wanted a shift to 1 pm pst. unless everyone agrees to that, we may be out a 10th participant unless someone shows up at the last minute. I've already sorted half the pieces tonight, though, so 10 sets are being drafted whether or not we've got 10 people! XD
Chief

Postby jennnifer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:34 am

I would be able to make the time switch without trouble.
jennnifer

Postby Inzane » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:43 am

Safest bet for me is sticking with our original timeslot, otherwise I might have to re-check with the wife again. ;)
Inzane

Postby doodlebird » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:29 pm

how's this for last minute.... i'm in! sorry for all the wishywashy. 11am PST tomorrow! there is so much rain here that the track meet is cancelled. see y'all in chat.
doodlebird

Postby Chief » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:09 pm

Participants: don't forget to check your inboxes! I sent out the final inventory for the draft. Please save a copy for yourself and start deciding what you want tomorrow! Everyone will end up with 12 different lot choices tomorrow: choose wisely, and have your backup picks ready when someone else picks your pieces before you! :P
Chief

Postby Inzane » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Chief wrote:Participants: don't forget to check your inboxes! I sent out the final inventory for the draft. Please save a copy for yourself and start deciding what you want tomorrow! Everyone will end up with 12 different lot choices tomorrow: choose wisely, and have your backup picks ready when someone else picks your pieces before you! :P

Thanks for sending!

But I've got an urgent question regarding the lots. (It might be a stupid question but bear in mind I haven't participated in one of our drafts since the very first one). I thought I recalled you guys were going to refine how you identify lots. example: a given lot would have a unique identifier, a number to label it, or something.

Looking at the spreadsheet you sent, I don't see any unique identifiers other than the actual item description. Sure the lots occupy rows 2 thru 121 in the spreadsheet, but as soon as any of us try to do any custom sorting of the sheet those row numbers will change.

Are we still going to be typing out actual lot descriptions in the draft? "i.e. Inzane: red 2x4 bricks"? Or will we have something like: "i.e. Inzane: Lot # xxx"?

Or did I miss something?

Thanks!
Inzane

Postby Chief » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:36 am

you shouldn't be resorting the spreadsheet at all. there is a column for you to prioritize your picks. last round too many people were confusing the individual lot #s with the row #s, so this time we are just using the row #s to identify the lots. it seemed like the best idea so far, but even 5 drafts in we're still making tweaks.
Chief

Postby Chief » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Thanks everyone for doing their part to make this the fastest draft so far, despite a late start time and my knee sidelining me for a bit at the beginning.

Things learned:
-The physical part of the draft doesn't necessarily have to happen the exact same time the picks are made. By marking on the spreadsheet who is choosing what, I was able to pack the lots at my own pace while the draft continued at a very rapid pace.
-Individual lot #s are still desired, despite hiccups. An alphabetical identifier may be the solution.

The next draft will be on March 24th. We will be drafting a Star Wars set. :)
Chief

Postby Inzane » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Chief wrote:-Individual lot #s are still desired, despite hiccups. An alphabetical identifier may be the solution.

Actually it worked out fine today. The key is consistency and I think it helped that everyone was keyed in to using your original row numbers. I know I was keen on lot #'s prior to today, but in retrospect I managed just fine with the way we did it.
Inzane

Postby doodlebird » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:01 pm

sorry to have flaked on the draft. i'm sure i was the reason it got off to a late start. apologies for my inconsiderate behavior. oh to be single again with no familial obligations... :) i love my family, but sometimes... sheesh.
doodlebird

Postby Chief » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Just wanted to drop a line that I haven't forgotten about you guys. My knee injury continues to prevent me from driving: I haven't been anywhere but home, work, and the doctor when other people can drive me. I'm hoping to get boxes for your packages this weekend.
Chief

PreviousNext

Return to Community Features