Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Jabba's Palace pictures/video

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Jabba's Palace pictures/video

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:50 am

darthius wrote:
emmtwosix wrote:
Mister Ed wrote:...especially when they come out looking so accurate. The B'Omarr monk is a perfect example of this. They nailed the essence of it the first time and there was no need to minutely increase it's accuracy by making an expensive new mold for something that is basically background ambiance. Plus, it's another opportunity to build something!

How can representing a 6 legged creature with 4 legs instead be called accurate? How can you consider the loss of 2 legs as a minute detail?

Well, for some reason this is quoted as if I said it (which I didn't) but I will say that, given how miniscule a role the B'Omarr Monks play in the films, I'd consider pretty much any detail concerning them to be minute by definition.

I'd wager that the vast majority of people, even people who watched and enjoyed the movies, don't know what a B'Omarr Monk even is, and among the ones that do (like myself) I can't imagine I'm alone in being totally unaware of their precise number of limbs from the seconds of (poorly lit) screen time they had. Brain in a jar on spidly legs, that's what I got from seeing them in the movie, and that's what I got from LEGO in a nifty little bit of brick-built character. I fail to see how brick-building something can EVER be characterized as more "lazy" than making specialized molds for it. Making a new mold might take more additional labor at the outset, but it requires, IMHO, quite a bit less THOUGHT than clever brick-building, which I think the B'Omarr was.

As a disclaimer, though, this is coming from somebody who dislikes the much lauded new Boba Fett helmet because I feel it is TOO detailed and not LEGO-y enough, like an action figure head glued to a minifig body. I'm not all for precision accuracy in LEGO. I prefer something that is close enough and still retains a LEGO feel.
Last edited by Mister Ed on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Ed

Postby naugem » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:58 am

After seeing the pictures I wasn't too convinced, but after watching the video, now I want one :D
naugem

Postby GrayMattR » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:44 pm

I voted for Boussh years ago when TLG did a survey on what SW characters fans wanted to see. Great representation!
GrayMattR

Postby Flynn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Speaking as someone who has been a vehement opponent of this set since pictures first leaked...

I gotta say, I'm impressed. This looks to be far better than what it looked like we were getting. More importantly, a lot of these new figure designs look great- mixing the line between realism and LEGO-ism perfectly (It's also great that they didn't try to redo Bib Fortuna at all, and just left him as is). I'm not a fan of the Jabba printing at all, though- looks a bit too Clone Wars for my liking.

I do think it was a bit of a boneheaded move to not include the rancor pit (just because that's one of the most iconic parts about the Palace to begin with, it'd be like making a Cloud City set without the carbonation chamber), but at the very least, I can see why they chose to abandon it in favor of an overall look that mirrored the actual palace (which including a rancor pit probably would've messed with, though I still think it could've been done). Price will be the ultimate determinant for the set, though, so I'll wait 'till that's announced before I decide on anything else.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby emmtwosix » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Hmm, I must have been using this image as my reference

Maybe they were, too. According to the Star Wars wiki page, early runs of the model did only have 4 legs - but apparently this isn't the one in RotJ. And, Mister Ed, you're definitely not alone in "being totally unaware of the precise number of limbs" this thing had. I double-checked and still got it wrong. :facepalm: Regardless, I agree that the "Brain in a jar on spidly legs" is what I took from the movie and they did a pretty good job of that, especially for using existing pieces.

However, this may be a bit more to some people's liking http://www.flickr.com/photos/57842543@N03/5321599967
I'd still venture to guess that most people would have to watch the scene again just to notice it's even in there, but point well taken darthius.
emmtwosix

Postby bigospedros » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:13 am

woodypop wrote:Is there no slave Leia?

No, because Leia is in the set as Boushh ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Mofo Jones » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:01 am

i was all set to pass on this one and then I saw the pics and video. This just hit the "buy" category. Ugh...between good OT sets and LOTR I'm gonna be hurting this year.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby batsamd » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:06 am

I had already planned to get this set, but the new pics and video definitely helped sell me on the rumored price of $120.

I have trouble getting anything above $100, but with the new printing, new figs and, to me, the cool design of the set I'm not sure I'll be able to wait for a sale before buying this set.
batsamd

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:30 am

$120? Yeah, I'll be passing. Too bad, because it does look like a real improvement. But I can't justify even a $100 set purchase, so $120 is well beyond reach.
Mister Ed

Postby cas » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:59 am

This can't be $120 usd (yeah, it can, I'm just in denial). The substance warranting the price isn't there. Throw in a rancor and another gamo gaurd and maybe. This is pushing it for a $100 set, which is the most I'd pay for it. But, given how easily the higher end retail sets can be found on sale, that shouldn't be a problem come fall.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby SDIronClaw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Freaking awesome, can not wait to get this set. To caveat the other comments, it would have been cool to get a rancor, Max Rebo band and perhaps even a deeper pit. All in all a very cool set.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby redondofuentes » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:12 pm

might I suggest an improvement or two?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30373030@N07/3823206469/

reference...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jdhancock/4317927134/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/franmoff/5824731310/

Han is off to Jaba's right both in and out of carbonite
redondofuentes

Postby dragonology » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:51 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTLlfvgi ... re=related

This is a link to a video with clear images of the gungan sub, desert skiff and also jabbas palace.
dragonology

Postby THX 1138 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:33 pm

Jabba's palace looks great, both inside and out. The minifies look awesome as well. The skiff looks better than I thought it would, but it'll need some improvement.

Also... are those tan (or dark tan, can't tell) quarter circle pieces I see on Jabba's palace?! Now I'll finally be able to make an Episode I AAT!
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby Flynn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:12 pm

120 dollars? Really? Well, my interest in the set just flew out the window. No amount of cool figs can warrant a tag that high...
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Blacknight » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:51 am

It looks kind of neat from the outside but the interior is pretty useless. Not enough space to have all the alien groupies around Jabba and no real rancor pit ensure this set can only be called half-baked at best. I still prefer the original set after factoring in the cost difference. Remember it was the first time both Jabba and Slave Leia were available. ;)

In some ways, this new set is the worst of all worlds - big enough to cost over $100 yet failing to be an accurate scale rendition of the palace and thus appeal to teen/adult collectors and lacking many cool play features needed to appeal to kids. Lame is the best word to describe it.

I wish we could just buy salacious and boushh in a $20 set, like those old Jabba palace add-ons. That, or a $300 Shop at Home playset ala the Death Star that comes with a rancor and pit, way more floor space, a proper main entrance door, and more of Jabba's goons.

As it is, this set is just a failed compromise that doesn't appear to do much of anything well. It almost makes me wonder if they plan to make a rancor pit add-on set that locks in underneath the whole thing... remember, they pre-planned the tow hook on the AT-TE so the dropship could carry it when it came out later. That would explain the absence of Luke as well.
Blacknight

Postby gomek » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:09 pm

$120 better come with at least 8-10 NEW figs. I count 2 new (Dancer and Leia),2 legitimate upgrades (Guard and Jabba, though both of which should have been done the right the first time) and three needless repeats (Han, Bib and Chewie). Lego has really been skimping on the figs lately. They must think everyone has $120 just laying around.

And apologies to anyone who didn't get the bib figure the first time around, I'm not really against them re-releasing for newer fans, that's cool, I'm just getting sick of being asked to buy figs 2 or 3 times just to get new ones.
gomek

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:12 am

Bib did reuse the head tumor mold but all the printing is new and he isn't tan this time, so they aren't the same figure. Still sort of needles... but hey, variety. You're also forgetting Salacious Crumb (new) and the spider droid (repeat). Doesn't make a huge difference I'm sure but just for clarity.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Flynn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Don't really see how Han and Bib are "needless", given they're essential parts of the scene. Plus, I don't really see how you could improve upon the old Bib design aside from color differences.

Really, I'd much rather have more pieces than more figs. I can only use a Boush figure so many ways.

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:14 pm

gomek wrote:. . . three needless repeats (Han, Bib and Chewie). . .

I'd hardly call Bib Fortuna a "needless" repeat. He's appeared in only one set in 12 years, and it's one that I don't have. More than that, it's one that nobody 12 or younger has. There's a very large portion of the market who is without a Bib Fortuna fig.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Previous

Return to Star Wars