Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Parts Draft Five: Pizza Planet Truck Rescue

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

FBTB Parts Draft Five: Pizza Planet Truck Rescue

Postby Staff » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:00 am

The next FBTB Parts Draft will take place on Saturday February 18th at 11 am PST.

We'll be drafting 10 copies of Toy Story set 9598 Pizza Planet Truck Rescue for $18.50 a pop, more than 50% off MSRP! (shipping charges will be calculated later for each participant.) Our very own Don Solo reviewed it on the site here a year ago, and had high praises for it.

You can see the inventory for this set on Bricklink.

The draft will follow the same rules as the last couple drafts, since we seem to have finally streamlined the process enough.

Draft registration will commence on Monday February 6th at 12 pm PST, which you can do in in this dedicated forum topic by simply posting "PIZZA!" Feel free to post any and all questions or comments in the thread; however, anyone posting "PIZZA!" before the clock hits noon on February 6th will be banned from participating. I will then confirm your registration via private message and give you PayPal payment instructions, and our draft order will be decided by the order of payment received from participants.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/02/03/fbtb-parts-draft-five-pizza-planet-truck-rescue/
Staff

Re: FBTB Parts Draft Five: Pizza Planet Truck Rescue

Postby Chief » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:10 am

Pretty Much Everything You Need to Know

What we're drafting: Toy Story set 9598 Pizza Planet Truck Rescue. There will be 10 copies in the draft.

How much $$: USD $18.50, plus a separate shipping fee that includes the actual postage cost and a nominal materials fee. After the draft has taken place, I will contact you with your shipping fee. Don't worry: I'm not going to surprise you with an outrageous surcharge after the draft. Previously I had applied a flat rate shipping fee across the range of participants, but some people had orders that were entirely tiny parts who paid way more than they should have, and others got every large item in the set and didn't pay enough, and I'm pretty sure I ended up in the red in both previous drafts. I can't let that happen again, I value my marriage to Mrschief too much. :P

Who: TBD on Monday February 6th at 12 PM PST when the registration period opens. This will be open to any FBTB member who joined before that date, regardless of post count.

When: Saturday February 18th at 11 am PST.

Where: In real life? My Lego laboratory. Online? In a special draft room we'll make on the IRC chat. Participants will need to familiarize themselves with the workings of the chat before draft day. Don't worry, it's not difficult!

-The first ten forum members who respond to this topic on Monday February 6th after 12 PM PST and pay the entry fee via PayPal within 24 hours will become our Draft Participants *cue fanfare.* If any of the first 10 posters do not pay their fee within the timeframe, the next person in the standby pool gets their spot in the draft.
-All participants must be present in the IRC chat at the agreed-upon draft time. If a participant absolutely cannot be present in the chat, I will refund their entry fee and will open up the slot to any standby member or chatroom spectator who can fill the role on the spot. Alternatively, the remaining participants may choose to divide the cost for the missing participant amongst themselves, which has been the case for two drafts now. There will be no proxies: you're either present for the draft or you're out. I've made exceptions before but it's slowing the draft down.
-Large or expensive lots of parts will be broken up. I am going to make these calls as I presort the pieces, and I will be fair about it. Ex: you will not be getting all 10 Rex figures. Trust me to find the golden number; I've got a ton of draft experience.
-Minifigs will be assembled and then split into multiple lots (4-3-3, as established in previous drafts.)
-The order will be determined by the order payment is received
-Once the draft has started, the first participant will select a pile of parts, then the second participant, and so on, until we get to the end of the list. Then we work our way back up the list from bottom to top. Then top to bottom. Etc. This is the serpentine method, and so far has been the popular method for our drafts.
-All participants MUST have an inventory in front of them during the draft. I don't care if it's on your screen or printed in front of you, you need it. Participants will cross off items after each person's turn. It's imperative that everyone keep track of what parts are still up for grabs. Before the draft starts we will provide an online inventory spreadsheet with lot numbers individually identified, and will be instantly updated throughout the draft process.
-At the conclusion of the draft, FBTB will package and ship out the chosen parts to their rightful owners, who will congratulate FBTB on a job well done and will immediately clamor for the next draft.
-No whining. We're trying to make this as fair as possible. If you don't get a part you want, find another part you like.

Participants (number denotes draft order, bold denotes PACKED):
despang *no pay*
doodlebird *refunded*

1. twbooth
2. Pro_Ice
3. AwesomeTaylor
4. jennnifer
5. polywen
6. inzane
7.noahtom
8. Dr. Cart
9. legochapin

Standby:
1.buriedbybricks
Chief

Postby Inzane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:39 am

Chief wrote:-Large or expensive lots of parts will be broken up.
Ex: you will not be getting all 10 Rex figures.
-Minifigs will be assembled and then split into multiple lots (4-3-3, as established in previous drafts.)

For this particular set, would it make sense to group all the characters together in "sets" so that everyone gets one of each, rather multiple Buzz's, multiple Rex's, etc.? (These particular ones aren't exactly army builder fodder, so would anyone even want multiples of any of them?)

Just a thought.
Inzane

Postby Chief » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:45 am

I'm open to that, if the participants agree.
Chief

Postby darth_fett » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:26 pm

I actually wouldn't mind multiple Buzz's for his wings alone. And if multiple Hams include multiple coinsets to fill him with, all the better. I wouldn't object to 10 sets of one fig per set though.
darth_fett

Postby darth_fett » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm confused as to what the 4-3-3 split would be like for the 40 figures. Does that mean there would be 3 total lots with 2 of them having 12 figs and one lot having 16 figs? Or multiple lots of 4 figs & multiple lots of 3 figs?
darth_fett

Postby Nick2253 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Given the awesomeness of all the figures, I'd be partial to doing an even split with each participant getting one of each. It would be nice to have lots of the same figure, but I know that for me personally, I want something from each of the minifigs, so I'd prefer the former option.
Nick2253

Postby twbooth » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:41 pm

I DO like the idea of grouping the minifigs into varied lots, instead of one lot of all Buzzes, one lot of all Rexs, etc... I do NOT like the idea of just giving each participant a complete set of minifigs... I'd prefer 10 draft-able lots. This way, if everyone wants to a minifig set, they're guaranteed it...or...if Drafter#8 wants to sacrifice their minifigs, they can grab the #1 part. Mmmm, strategy.
twbooth

Postby Chief » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Fett: 4-3-3 (from 10 sets) means a pile (lot) of 4 Buzzes, 3, buzzes, and 3 buzzes, and 4 Rexes, 3 rexes, and 3 rexes, etc. Each lot is an individual pick in the draft. This is how we've been doing it since we started. I'm open to a change, but the participants will have to vote on it next week.
Chief

Postby darth_fett » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:21 am

Ahh thanx for the clarification Chief. Thought the breakdown might have been random. I like the traditional way better over one complete set of four. But i guess our votes now don't really matter since its ultimately up to the top 10? You also mentioned that sometimes there are no shows. Does this mean that alternates are contacted based on who posted the Magic Word 11th, 12th etc on the board? I suppose i should block off that time regardless i get picked or not...i really shouldn't be doing this since i'm moving Feb 25th but this set is just really awesome for the main model or parts. ^_^
darth_fett

Postby Chief » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:10 am

I only contact alternates if i have a day or two warning that someone has to pull out. if it's when the draft is about to start, I try to find someone in the chat or the remaining participants split the cost of the missing person(s), since the pieces are already sorted and split, and there's no taking out the 9th or 10th set at that point. I've heard no complaints so far from participants about the slightly extra cost for the slightly more parts picks.
Chief

Postby doodlebird » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 pm

any chance of moving this draft time just 30 minutes later?

i work until 1pm central every saturday.
it's the one & only part of my work week that is totally non-negotiable.
i'm not packed up and back home 'til 1:30.

i know...
if you make an exception for one,
you have to do it for all.

but
can i buy in
and then ask for a vote from the other participants?
i'll bow out if voted down.
doodlebird

Postby Chief » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:16 am

I don't mind moving the time, but I think you're right that we should let the participants decide.

Registration opens in just under 4 hours! :)
Chief

Postby twbooth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:08 am

Are there 9 spots or 10? Your "Registration" post today said 9.
twbooth

Postby Chief » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 am

There are only 9 spots left. A forum member received a guaranteed spot in the draft as a perk for services rendered. His spot in the draft will be determined by the order payment is received, just like everyone else.
Chief

Postby twbooth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:03 pm

PIZZA!
twbooth

Postby doodlebird » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 pm

PIZZA!

please note, my participation is conditional based on the willingness of other participants to move back the start time 30 minutes later. if that's not ok with the others, then please open my spot up for someone who can follow the rules better than i can. :)
doodlebird

Postby doodlebird » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:14 pm

can we send payment to the same email as draft #2?
doodlebird

Postby Chief » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Yes, but don't send now: I send out payment instructions to the 10 participants at the same time and the order in which they pay determines the draft order, which is something we started doing with the 4th draft to streamline things.
Chief

Postby Pro_Ice » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:53 pm

PIZZA!
Pro_Ice

Next

Return to Community Features