Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Video] Captain America Doesn't Mind a Little Blood

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Video] Captain America Doesn't Mind a Little Blood

Postby Staff » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:16 pm

While the official LEGO Captain America doesn't make his debut for another couple of months, the enterprising ForrestFireFilms couldn't wait. They decided the world was ready for this kind of hero. Their video is making the rounds across the net and for good reason. I'm going to preface this with a warning: the following video contains some of the most graphic LEGO on LEGO violence I have ever seen.

[Update]
Video Removed.

While the video does showcase talented LEGO film making skills, there was debate whether or not this belong on this website. Being completely unaware of what defines Captain America having never read the comics or paying attention to the 2011 film, I had no way to judge whether or not this was representative of the superhero. Since it is not and the video does depict a high level of stylized, animated violence, I've decided to remove the video from the front page. For those who still wish to view this video of a gratuitously violent Captain America, the link remains below.

via io9
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/02/04/video-captain-america-doesnt-mind-a-little-blood/
Staff

Re: [Video] Captain America Doesn't Mind a Little Blood

Postby farrer9 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:10 pm

I've been a member of FBTB for only a short time but have been visiting the site for some time now and most post's I see are very cool but this is one that go's that little step further for me very nicely done indeed XD
farrer9

Postby Marty » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:03 pm

As much as I enjoyed the movie, the blood & gore was over the top, the animation was excellent, but I pretty sure as a parent viewing this, it left me a bit sick knowing that kids could be watching this.
If they could have toned it down a bit, to something along the lines of the lego games it wouldn't be half bad, but as it stands it's crossed a line in violence.
Marty

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:22 pm

This is so far past the line, it couldn't see the line in the rearview mirror as it sped away. Way too graphic and so beyond the spirit of Captain America it's ridiculous. I have little doubt it appeals to the pointless bloodlust of the younger audience these days, but I think blood & gore has it's place and this isn't it.
buriedbybricks

Postby cas » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Marty wrote:the animation was excellent

This is ultimately why I chose to post it, coupled with the hype surrounding the Marvel line of sets. I agree that the violence is over-the-top stupid, but the creators manage to accomplish a level of Lego filmmaking I don't recall seeing before.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Mofo Jones » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:26 pm

It's like Tarantino made a LEGO movie.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Classicsmiley » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:50 pm

Yeah, this really doesn't seem like it belongs on FBTB.
Classicsmiley

Postby Robzula » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:22 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Honestly, I have no problem with taking something kiddy and doing things like this to it, but it has to be done with some tact... this just felt juvenile.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby fallenangel327 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Huh. The style is rather reminiscient of the Madness Combat videos that used to be all the rage a few years back.
fallenangel327

Postby volumex » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:18 am

The film making tech is top notch, really well play, but trying to achieve so much gore to 'reality' standards is a bit of a mismatch for me.
I also think a strong edit to shorten would have been a good call.
I just felt like I went through a bad car wash...(blood). :lol:
volumex

Postby mikado » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:01 pm

while this was a great stop motion video, I agree it went too far on the graphics. It doesnt represent the mainstream captain america, nor does it hold the lego values to heart. I think if lego group saw this they will have it brought down honestly. Now some will say there are lego ninjas and soldiers, but you dont see lego ninjas ripping the spine from the bad guys nor do you see the wholesale blood as in that video. These are first and foremost a kids toy with a healthy adult following, you may see little billy down the street doing kung fu moves with his ninjago, but you wont see him making movies and asking mom and dad for more bubble gum to simulate blood and guts nor to use the power drill to make holes in the bad guys stomachs.
mikado

Postby bigospedros » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:15 pm

I'd rather this wasn't front paged, to be honest ... not sure it's really appropriate for this site ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Commander23c » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:44 pm

I have a youtube myself,but it doesn't mean that i approve of the over-use of the blood and gore. After all im pretty sure Captain America wouldn't rip a guys arms off......
Commander23c

Postby Commander23c » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:46 pm

if you want non-gory lego animation that is good check out XxfancypantsxX or 0ldScratch
Commander23c

Postby Zrath » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Yeah, that wasn't Captain America, that was Quentin Tarantino's The Punisher wearing a Captain America costume. :D
Totally out of character.
Zrath

Postby emmtwosix » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:42 pm

bigospedros wrote:I'd rather this wasn't front paged, to be honest ... not sure it's really appropriate for this site ...

Not that my opinion matters, but...seconded.

I agree with Robzula & everyone else that the production values in this were outstanding, but ultimately overridden by it's juvenile, tactless nature. I don't know if they were trying to shock their viewers or did it because they thought it was cool, but the ultra-violence was unnecessary and completely outside the spirit of Captain America & LEGO, as well as FBTB as most people have come to know it.
emmtwosix

Postby Blacknight » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Meh, the production values of the "blood and gore" are kind of dumb - the enemies just disintegrate into red play-doh piles whenever he touches them. If Lego animation is an emerging art form, it's time for the internet to start evaluating them a bit more critically than just "oh wow yet another ultra violent slaughter-fest that's even more over the top than the last one, cooooolll". Though I wouldn't expect anything high brow from the geeks/nerds who run those tech websites.

Who is going to step up and start exploring deeper questions about the meaning of life, death, suffering, love and God using Lego figs? Or do those just not get covered because they don't have flashy animation?
Blacknight

Postby MisterFubar » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:17 pm

I liked it. The blood might have been slightly over the top, but I don't think it took much away from how good the animation was.

Of course I've always thought Captain America was a little lame and I never read any of his comics.
MisterFubar

Postby Pooka » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:37 am

I thought it was a great video. He does a great job for being a teenager making these films. And his videos keep getting better and better.

As for the "too gory" thing. It was play-doh. And most kids 7-15 already fantasize about things of a graphic nature. I mean all LEGO sets have good guys and bad guys. Adding a little play-doh and animation doesn't change things. Good parenting does.
Pooka

Postby Classicsmiley » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks for taking the video down.
Classicsmiley

Next

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase