Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[pod racer] The Virulent Venom

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[pod racer] The Virulent Venom

Postby pur3 0wn1ng9 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:14 am

Here it is!

Gallery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36036679@N ... 082131951/

Sorry it took me so long to get the new pictures up. It has been a very busy month for me.

Constructive criticism much appreciated

P.S. thanks Galagoo for the name.
Last edited by pur3 0wn1ng9 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
pur3 0wn1ng9

Re: [pod racer] Three pods! which one is the best?

Postby Joedward » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:33 am

Third is best. It's got an extremely interesting design and the colour is great.
The first seem a bit messy, and almost incomplete. The second seems too plain, nothing stands out about it.

The third one could use a bit more detaila nd greebling inside the engines, but the pod seems like a solid design, looks great. Also, aside from the great use of parts, the use of the stickers/ printed pieces is just awesome, adds loads to the model, kinda gives it some more character.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby pur3 0wn1ng9 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:00 pm

Any name ideas for the pods?

I will continue to update the green one and post new pics as soon as I think its ready. Thanks for the advice.
pur3 0wn1ng9

Postby bigkid24 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:33 pm

Visually 3 is most appealing. The second one reminds me too much of Anakin's pod and is sort of too straightforward. I like your ideas in the first one. It has a very aggressive look but the side panels on the engines just seem like an afterthought rather than something that was incorporated in to the design.
bigkid24

Postby Galagoo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:56 pm

The first one does have potential, though. If you made the engines bulkier and sturdier - hence more solid - and added some greeblings to make the thing look rougher, you might have a neat pod racer in your hands. The side panels are a nice idea, but the light grey visible beneath the grills looks somewhat distracting. Would you happen to have those plates in black or - more preferably - dark grey?
Galagoo

Postby pur3 0wn1ng9 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:27 pm

I think I may have 1 in dark grey :x

I decided to stick with the third green one (still really needs a name for it!) and already pretty much destroyed the other 2 for parts. >:( I just need to make it good enough for 3rd and I will be happy.

I'm going to delete the other 2 pics and use this thread for updating the black/green one.
pur3 0wn1ng9

Re: [pod racer] The Green One! *WIP*

Postby Galagoo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:28 pm

So, if the choice is the green one..

The engine pods have a nice overall shape, but it's a bit bulky and pointy at spots, so if I were you, I would try smoothening it up with slopes and plates. In addition, since the rear sides of the engines look pretty plain, adding some (or a lot) tech-like greebling there could look good. Something to make them look more engines and less just pods.

The cockpit pod (what was the term for it?) is neat and sleek, but looking like it's missing something. One or two antennas, perhaps? The cables, on the other hand, would in my opinion look better if unicoloured. Hence, would you happen to have pieces to make them all black or all dark grey?

The energy bindings look also pretty nice, but the trans-green colour seems lost in the green colour scheme. Therefore, would it be possible for you to make the binding trans-red or - even better - trans-orange? Those colours would stand out from the rest of the model quite brilliantly, I reckon. You could use the colour of the binding in adding some highlight lights, too.

As for the name, how would "Virulent Venom" sound? The lime-black colour instantly made me think of the word venom, and virulent sounds pretty good paired with that, having also a connection in meaning.

There, my 0,02 €. I Hope that helps even the slightest. :)
Galagoo

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:26 am

Looks good, but maybe rotate the engines 45 degrees forwards? This would put the curve on the front, and look cool. The rear of the pods needs to be cleaned up to get rid of the distinctive squareish ridges because of the shape of the prefab curve though.
Jake

Postby pur3 0wn1ng9 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks for all the wonderful advice! I will continue to work on it (mainly the pods) and keep you all updated.
pur3 0wn1ng9

Postby SuperDave » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:48 pm

pur3 0wn1ng9 wrote:Any name ideas for the pods?

Lamprey.
SuperDave

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase