Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

lego in space

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

lego in space

Postby mikado » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:38 pm

just saw this on yahoo and thought id share it with you all

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/lego ... 22438.html

ok america its your turn to get lego into space
mikado

Re: lego in space

Postby Draykov » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby buriedbybricks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:36 am

Ok. Now let's see America do it WITHOUT a 1.5 billion dollar space flight or a 19 billion yearly budget XD

When was the last time NASA brought a mission in on time and 20% under budget?

;)
buriedbybricks

Postby Draykov » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:37 am

buriedbybricks wrote:Ok. Now let's see America do it WITHOUT a 1.5 billion dollar space flight or a 19 billion yearly budget XD

That's like asking you guys to watch hockey without a belly full of Tim Horton's and Molson.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby buriedbybricks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:55 pm

That's funny because I have no use for hockey, hate coffee and think Molson is the worst swill ever bottled and certainly not worthy of the name Canadian!

FYI, Tim Horton's used to have great donuts until it was sold to an American fast food chain that completely ruined it :'(

If anyone in the US would like to make it up to my belly, you can send me a box of Krispy Kreme. I have never had a chance to partake and am told I'm really missing out ;)
buriedbybricks

Postby Daz Hoo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:05 am

BTW, there was already a thread about this:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7166

I guess Draykov missed it...
Daz Hoo

Postby natespizer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 am

buriedbybricks wrote:If anyone in the US would like to make it up to my belly, you can send me a box of Krispy Kreme. I have never had a chance to partake and am told I'm really missing out ;)

Need to have them fresh or its just a waste really. Even better if you can find one where you get to watch them being made.
natespizer

Postby Solo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:15 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:Ok. Now let's see America do it WITHOUT a 1.5 billion dollar space flight or a 19 billion yearly budget XD

When was the last time NASA brought a mission in on time and 20% under budget?

;)
So you missed the part where they based this off a MIT project that only cost $150? Also, they barely made it to the stratosphere, not even a quarter of the way to space. Not to knock the guys who did this or say the result isn't cool, but this is quite literally not rocket science here. NASA does a bit more than send up used cameras and cell phones in Styrofoam boxes.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Touchy, touchy Solo.

I'm simply pointing out to Draykov that no LEGO has been sent up prior to this without the aid of a multi-billion dollar organization.

I did not miss the part about this being inspired by the MIT experiment, but these kids were in high school not college and the only reason it cost more was the inclusion of extra gear and the fact that there was no way they could get those supplies for for $150. The helium alone cost them more than that and as someone who has bought helium in Canada in the past, it isn't cheap.
buriedbybricks

Postby Rook » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:35 am

Yeah the cost of helium has gone up significantly in the past few years. To my understanding the last known natural resources are being tapped currently. So unless we start making it or find new sources I believe helium will become extinct with in our life time. Besides it's Canada half the cost was probably sales tax. XD
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Iare Tosevite » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:58 am

Not extinct as there's regions where nuclear decay is generating helium. Far below what we need though.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby emmtwosix » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:52 pm

I liken this to a caveman with a couple of sticks bragging that he made fire to a man wielding a flamethrower. :p

But seriously, it's cool that they even thought to do this, let alone accomplish it. I think the most scientific thing I did when I was that age probably involved an empty pop bottle, aluminum, and...well, let's just leave it at that.
emmtwosix

Return to General LEGO Discussions