Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

UK Toy Fair 2012 - Lord Of The Rings News

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

UK Toy Fair 2012 - Lord Of The Rings News

Postby Staff » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:53 pm

UK Toy Fair 2012 - Lord Of The Rings

Now, before I try to write this up, I'm going to qualify this post by saying I've only seen the first hour of the first LOTR film!  I got bored, so stopped watching the rest.  Yes yes ... I am a heathen ... get over it.  With that in mind, forgive me if I miss any important bits out.

However, despite this lack of knowledge, I was bowled over by these sets.  Fans of this licence are going to LOVE these sets.  It's another line where the minifigs are the star, but even so, I found some of the supporting buildings to be very cool too, the Helm's Deep castle being a particular stand out.  They're well constructed and detailed.

You'll need to buy all 7 sets if you want to get the complete Fellowship and the prices start at 11.99 to 99.99.

9469 Gandalf Arrives  ... a scene I recognised!! ;-)  You get Frodo and Gandalf with cart and fireworks.  A pretty cool opener of a set and a way to get the two most obvious (at least to a noob like me) from this range, all for a measly £11.99.

9470 Shelob Attacks ... Gollum!  Now, even with watching only a hour of the first film, I know what Gollum looks like ... the fig is a custom mould, with Gollum in crouched position with articulated arms, smilar in connection to the main body as skeleton / battle droid arms.  Printed face and "clothes" (i.e. bit of cloth round his nether regions!!).  The big spider (Shelob) is also pretty cool, with a winch being used for her spider silk, meaning she can be hung up if you want.  You also get Frodo, with ring (which is a gold chromed ring, sized perfectly to fit on a minifig hand) and Samwise Gamgee.  Priced at £19.99

9471 Uruk-Hai Army ... Comes with Eomer, Rohan soldier and 4 Urak-Hai and a small section of wall, siege machine and one of the new horses, which features articulated back legs (which is an excellent new feature for the horses).  It's designed to be joined to the Helm's Deep castle, via technic pins.  The minifig printing was beautifully detailed, especially on Eomer.  Priced at £29.99

9472 Attack on Weathertop ... Most of my time looking at this was marvelling over the new horses and moving them from stood normally to being on their hind legs only.  Even in that position, they were very sturdy.  This is a great inovation.  You get Frodo, Merry, Aragorn and two Ringwaiths on horseback.   There's a small section of Weathertop, which includes a spiral staircase and ruins at the top.  Priced at 49.99.

9473 The Mines of Moria ... Comes with a great selection of minifigs, such as Pippin, Gimli, Legolas, Boromir, a cave troll and two Moria orcs. The troll is pretty awesome and detailed ... great printing on the rest of the figs.  Priced at £69.99.

9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep ... The castle here was really cool ... pretty large and well constructed with curved walls.  There were new modified 2 x 2 bricks to simulate bricks, mixed in with the walls, which was pretty cool to see.  I can see people wanting these bricks on their own for added detail in building MOCs.  The castle comes with the "side door" feature, which I was reliable told is important to the story?!  ;-)  It comes with 8 minifigs - Gimli, King Theoden, Haldir, Aragorn and 4 Urak-Hai warriors.   Priced at £99.99

9476 The Orc Forge ... reminded me a little of the Dwarf Mine set from a few years back ... comes with 5 orcs  and a various forge related stuff and has a light brick, which was a nice feature.    Priced at £39.99.

All sets are due to be released in August.  There was mention of Hobbit sets coming later in the year, perhaps January although that might be a little late with the films release in December ... who knows, they might land early.

Anyone want to lend me the films? ;-)
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/01/24/uk-toy-fair-2012-lord-of-the-rings-news/
Staff

Re: UK Toy Fair 2012 - Lord Of The Rings News

Postby Mofo Jones » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Excellent descriptions, for a heathen. :) Now, go watch the movies - they have their slow parts but they're excellent as a whole!
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby ytjedi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:17 pm

The LEGO reps are probably saying it to sell the whole series, but really only need 4 of the 7 sets in order to get the whole fellowship. I've seen this misinformation mentioned in a couple of reports today.
ytjedi

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:20 pm

[quote=staff]
You'll need to buy all 7 sets if you want to get the complete Fellowship...

Don't know where you get this idea. From your descriptions it seems like you can get the whole Fellowship by buying four sets. 9469 (Gandalf and Frodo), 9470 (Sam), 9472 (Merry and Aragorn), and 9473 (Gimli, Legolas, Boromir, Pippin), give you at least one copy of each Fellowship member (with 2 extras of Frodo, and Gollum to boot).
Mister Ed

Postby bigospedros » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:27 pm

I'm just going on what they told me ... *shrugs* Maybe they were referring to the whole figure line from the theme, for which you will need to buy the whole lot ?!
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby deskp » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Are you sure that it is Eomer in "uruk-hai army" ?

Any new molds you could highlight?
deskp

Postby Blue Squadron » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Mister Ed wrote:[quote=staff]
You'll need to buy all 7 sets if you want to get the complete Fellowship...

Don't know where you get this idea. From your descriptions it seems like you can get the whole Fellowship by buying four sets. 9469 (Gandalf and Frodo), 9470 (Sam), 9472 (Merry and Aragorn), and 9473 (Gimli, Legolas, Boromir, Pippin), give you at least one copy of each Fellowship member (with 2 extras of Frodo, and Gollum to boot).

Yes - agreed. I was just about to post the same thing. Looking at the prices quoted, the above four sets come in at just over £150 - but it seems like there's quite a lot to them and your haul would also include Gollum, two Nazgul with horses, two Moria orcs and a cave troll, as well as the extra horse with Gandalf's cart! The only duplication would indeed be the two extra Frodos!

Sixteen minifigs plus the troll and three horses as well as the brick-built Shelob and all the other play-set stuff for that price actually seems to compare reasonably well with the prices of some of the other licensed sets, especially Star Wars! In total, the overall brick-count here may not be quite as much as, say, what was required to build a single ship in a set like the Tantive IV but for a (roughly) similar price-point there's a lot going on! :D
Blue Squadron

Postby Asterios » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Me I can't wait till these sets come out, since I'll be buying a lot of ea. one, especially the Uruk-Hai army set.
Asterios

Postby Walter Boy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:46 pm

I'd like to chime in on recommending the films. My brother-in-law hasn't seen them either, but I've been trying to get him to watch them. They're pretty long, but they're worth it. ;)

As far as these sets go, they sound great. I'm really wanting the cheaper ones, and the new horses sound pretty sweet too. :)
Walter Boy

Postby bigospedros » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:38 am

deskp wrote:Are you sure that it is Eomer in "uruk-hai army" ?

Yes, I think so ... that's what the Dealer catalogue states too.

Any new molds you could highlight?

Well, there are several unique parts for this line, especially with the minifigures, but you can see that from the picture. As I said, the horses are new, with articulated back legs. There are new 1 x 2 brick pieces with actual brick moulding on the front face. Gollum is a whole new mould altogether and really is quite something. I don't recall anything else, although there probably was stuff. I was literally in and out of the section in about 4 minutes!
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby JamesBenjamin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:43 am

The new 1x2 brick with molded bricks on it is already out. Its in 2 Ninjago sets in light tan, and 2 larger city police sets in light flesh. I picked up one of the $7 Ninjago sets last night to check out the part, its pretty neat. Each side is different (like the 1x2 grill brick) so they seem really useful... once they make it out in significant colors/quantities.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby bigospedros » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:02 am

JamesBenjamin wrote:The new 1x2 brick with molded bricks on it is already out. Its in 2 Ninjago sets in light tan, and 2 larger city police sets in light flesh. I picked up one of the $7 Ninjago sets last night to check out the part, its pretty neat. Each side is different (like the 1x2 grill brick) so they seem really useful... once they make it out in significant colors/quantities.

You mean this one?

This is the brick I'd seen in the new City advent calendar, and was new to me ... but from what I recall, the one in the LOTR set was different, although again, it was a brief look, so I may be mistaken. Unless it was the other side of this brick, which is different again?!

Thanks for pointing out it isn't that new. I don't collect City or Ninjago, so it was new to me
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Bertramtalespinner » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:21 pm

I hear there's a book... :facepalm:
Bertramtalespinner

Postby JamesBenjamin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:46 am

bigospedros wrote:This is the brick I'd seen in the new City advent calendar, and was new to me ... but from what I recall, the one in the LOTR set was different, although again, it was a brief look, so I may be mistaken. Unless it was the other side of this brick, which is different again?!

Thanks for pointing out it isn't that new. I don't collect City or Ninjago, so it was new to me

It'd be neat if they came out with another variety (perhaps a worn stone look?) as it'd be really useful to have several parts like that, in decent qtys. I don't normally collect Ninjago or City either, but when I saw those parts I had to check it out. I plan on buying the larger of the two police sets, as it has the bear and about 30 of the new "brick" brick and 30 log bricks, I'll just put the minifigs on ebay/bricklink and make back a decent amount of the cost.

The back of the brick is different, its essentially the same pattern but no horizontal lines making it into smaller "bricks," so it looks like two long bricks stacked on each other, instead of the normal "staggered" pattern used IRL when building with bricks.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby eriochrome » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 am

This is going to total destroy my bank account this year especially with the new Star Wars Sets in summer also.

Eomer (Nephew of Rohan's King) and a Rohan soldier are the opposing force to the Uruk-Hai (like in the new Star Wars Battle Packs with both rebels and stormtroopers) in that set so that is perfectly fine. They come to Helms Deep at Dawn on the Fifth Day.

I would also recommend the movies and books. I have mulitple copies of the movies now including the widescreen DVD, extended edition DVDs, now extended edition Blue Rays plus the old animated versions on DVD.
eriochrome

Postby THX 1138 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:27 pm

I'm not planning to get these, but the minifigs look great. The only one I don't like is Boromir. They could've done a much better job of making its face look like Sean Bean. Right now, it looks a lot more like Théoden.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby RancorRider8 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:52 pm

These are really cool! Can't wait for the sets!
Rancors are neither cuddly, nor cute. But it's one heck of a riding experience!
(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
RancorRider8

Postby cas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:43 pm

THX 1138 wrote: The only one I don't like is Boromir. They could've done a much better job of making its face look like Sean Bean. Right now, it looks a lot more like Théoden.

I agree. Looking at it, it's a decent representation of Theoden. I'm hoping since the poster contains minor errors in respect to the physical product, this is one of those errors. I want a minifigure that actually looks like Sean Bean, cause that would be awesome. Don't screw this one up, LEGO!
cas
Staff Writer

Return to Licensed Themes