Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

UK Toy Fair 2012 - Star Wars News

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: UK Toy Fair 2012 - Star Wars News

Postby bigospedros » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:57 pm

spud405 wrote:Sorry, one last question, what figure comes with the X-Wing/Yavin 4 planet set? Is it a new Rebel Pilot or just a repeat figure?

A repeat I think ... it's the newer torso from the more recent Rebel pilots, head as the orange visor option. Helmet ... can't quite remember. Dealer catalogue has two different pics, depending on the view. The main pics shows just blue rebel alliance logos.

I think I should've stressed this at the time, I had like 30 seconds at best to see each set and all the time, I had a demonstrator trying to tell me stuff and the guide trying to drag me on to the next thing. With no pictures allowed, I can't refer back to anything, so apologies if I seem to be always saying "not quite sure" or "don't know". :S

I'm sure all these questions can be answered in more detail after the German and USA toy fairs where people can take photos and perhaps have a bit more time.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby RfAurora » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Quote from Staff;
9497 Republic Striker-class Starfighter ... not a ship I am overly familiar with and it's main play feature was it's movable wings that can move 90 degrees, from beside the cockpit to sticking out like "normal" wings. All new figures, including a square bodied droid (T7-01). Not one that I am gonna bother with, personally.
9500 Sith Fury-class Interceptor ... I have no idea what this ship is (not really into Expanded Universe) so it was a bit of a mystery to me. It's wings have moving parts at the back. The figs were certainly unique and pretty cool looking. The Sith Troopers had helmets that looked like forerunners / afterrunners to Darth's helmet .. a bit like the development of the Clone helmet over it's phases.

My question is, what happened to objectivity from reporters. Reporting on an item is all well and good, but it colors everything else when personal thoughts are put into the story.

The Republic Striker-class fighter, its official Bioware designation is a Talon Fighter, and the reason its wings and weapons fold 90 degrees is for storage on Republic Strike Cruisers and Warships, much like aircraft on aircraft carriers.

The Sith Fury Interceptor is the starship for both Sith Warriors and Inquisitors in Star Wars the Old Republic. The "wings" on the back are strike foils for added manuverability during combat.
RfAurora

Postby bigospedros » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:26 pm

RfAurora wrote:
My question is, what happened to objectivity from reporters. Reporting on an item is all well and good, but it colors everything else when personal thoughts are put into the story.

:lol: I think it got lost in the mail along with my paycheck for being a unbiased journalist, with the time to study all products with a fully researched background at my disposal ;)

The Republic Striker-class fighter, its official Bioware designation is a Talon Fighter, and the reason its wings and weapons fold 90 degrees is for storage on Republic Strike Cruisers and Warships, much like aircraft on aircraft carriers.

The Sith Fury Interceptor is the starship for both Sith Warriors and Inquisitors in Star Wars the Old Republic. The "wings" on the back are strike foils for added manuverability during combat.

Thanks for filling in the gaps in my knowledge. I am sure you'll be able to form your own opinions when you see the set itself and any comments from me will be lost in the ether of the internet. Until that time, you'll just have to deal with my own personal opinions.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 pm

RfAurora wrote:My question is, what happened to objectivity from reporters. Reporting on an item is all well and good, but it colors everything else when personal thoughts are put into the story.

Hey Pete, we've got them fooled! They think were legit reporters!

Hot gorram, I'm gonna get myself a fedora with a press card in the hat band.
buriedbybricks

Postby Kai » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:39 pm

I have frequented this site for a while, as i am a huge fan of SW Lego. I always love the info and perspective on new and past sets and themes. Often i find myself scrolling through the comment section to see what the other lego fanatics have to say about the new sets, and perhaps from time to time some new information about these sets may be revealed to me. I find it a fun way to feed my hobby without always buying these expensive toys. I had to register for the sole reason of calling out the user (RfAurora) for accusing the writer of this post to be having some wired bias. He's updating you about plastic pieces which fit together to create more complex shapes. He's not breaking the Watergate scandal open nor has he ever claimed to be a professional reporter giving you an unbiased opinion. I along with many others wouldn't want an unbiased opinion about the toys we love so much. I want a fanatic to give me his honest opinion about the set he saw. Then we can make a judgment. We are lucky that he is giving us the scoop about these unreleased sets. Which for that I thank him and all of the other contributors of this fine site.
Kai

Postby StoutFiles » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 am

bigospedros wrote:
metalface13 wrote:Are the minifigs in the Old Republic set done in the Clone Wars style?

Yes, they are clone wars style ... not sure about the ones in 9500, didn't look under the helmets

To confirm, the eyes are the big anime eyes?
StoutFiles

Postby emmtwosix » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:08 pm

cas wrote:I absolutely agree. I have never considered purchasing any set based solely on the merits of its figures until now.
They do help with decisions occasionally, though. I had been looking at the Turbo Tank mostly for Cad Bane & Aayla, but I got his speeder when it was on sale at Target, so now I'm left pining for Aayla. May just break one of my rules and get her on eBay from a keychain. :facepalm: I don't like it, but it's better than paying $20+ for her on bricklink, and certainly better than buying a $120 set that I'm lukewarm about, and most importantly, too poor to purchase at the moment. :D

StoutFiles wrote:To confirm, the eyes are the big anime eyes?

I thought the anime eyes were the determining factor in a set being considered Clone Wars styled?

Saesee Tiin's fighter looked...different, in the preliminary pics I've seen. I don't know if I like the way the cockpit looks, mostly because it sticks out from the other Jedi starfighters quite a bit.

However, I could definitely change my mind if they had some features similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YTP6RSjpCn0#t=172s(at ~2:53 & 3:07 in the video) Even if we had to pull it apart manually - that would be pretty sweet XD though I don't personally see the advantage of having parts of your ship fall off while in flight...
emmtwosix

Postby bigospedros » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:19 pm

StoutFiles wrote:
bigospedros wrote:
metalface13 wrote:Are the minifigs in the Old Republic set done in the Clone Wars style?

Yes, they are clone wars style ... not sure about the ones in 9500, didn't look under the helmets

To confirm, the eyes are the big anime eyes?

By the looks of the picture in the dealer catalogue, yes ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby THX 1138 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:01 pm

I'm definitely planning on getting the skiff (for Boba with printed limbs and disguised Lando, if nothing else), the Gungan Sub, and Jabba's Palace. I'm not particularly interested in any of the others.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Previous

Return to Star Wars