Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Super Heroes 2012 Set Images Surface

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Super Heroes 2012 Set Images Surface

Postby SonOfSolo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:52 am

Looking at the SDCC pics I saw a Thor but no sight of him in the Lego catalog above. Did they dump him??
SonOfSolo

Postby emmtwosix » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:00 pm

GIR3691 wrote:The problem with Iron Man's helmet is that it is too human face-like. Unlike Stormtrooper helmets and the like, Iron Man's helmet is very human-like in shape. They should REALLY have gone cylindrical rather than giving it sculpted cheekbones and a pronounced forehead. Batman's cowl works because it is stylized enough to look like LEGO. ...

With Iron Man, it's odd when LEGO tries to make things too realistic. It just looks wrong, and doesn't jive with the aesthetic LEGO has created in its general style.

(...)

It reminds me of the Ebay auctions I used to see all the time where "custom" minifigures had 3.75" action figure heads slapped on them. It looks awful. Creepy and distinctly not LEGO-style. I am severely disappointed with how awful the Iron Man minifigure is.

I'd much have preferred something like this, compared to an over-sized and over-sculped abomination.
Image ...

Completely agree. The Batman cowl is LEGO. You aren't going to mistake it for something else, even if it's blown up to 100 times it's original size. If you put that thing on at Halloween you wouldn't be Batman, you would be LEGO Batman.

scandell wrote:How does C3P0's head fit into this conversation?

I think C-3P0's head works because it's to scale and has lost enough detail in the "shrinking process" to fit well within the LEGO style. If Iron Man's helmet WAS his head - a custom head mold, like C-3P0's - it would probably look great, but as a helmet that has to go over a minifig head, it's way too big.

With all that said, I still think it looks good by itself, just out of place on the minifig.
Last edited by emmtwosix on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emmtwosix

Postby bigospedros » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:48 pm

SonOfSolo wrote:Looking at the SDCC pics I saw a Thor but no sight of him in the Lego catalog above. Did they dump him??

I'll add this to my list of questions for the London Toy Fair next week :)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby cas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:00 pm

I can't see them dumping a major character from "The Avengers" film, which many of the sets are based on. No, there probably wasn't room without making the preview image appear more cluttered. On closer inspection, however, it does look like Thor is present right behind Iron Man, at least I think that's him, though not in Lego form.
bigospedros wrote:I'll add this to my list of questions for the London Toy Fair next week :)

Can't wait
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Mofo Jones » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:38 pm

That is Thor behind Iron Man.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby JamesBenjamin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:48 am

Here's a better pic of Wolverine's claw (though, on the "wolfman" fig from the upcoming Monster Fighters line:

(pic from the Eurobricks monster fighters thread).

I still can't tell if its a part shoved in the wrist or a hand held part...
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby JamesBenjamin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:22 am

Annnnnnd, the CGI pics of the Wolfman that were released from London Toy Fair show it is clearly a hand-held part. YAY
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby bigospedros » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:50 pm

SonOfSolo wrote:Looking at the SDCC pics I saw a Thor but no sight of him in the Lego catalog above. Did they dump him??

I can confirm that the Thor fig is in a couple of sets in the new Marvel line

JamesBenjamin wrote:Annnnnnd, the CGI pics of the Wolfman that were released from London Toy Fair show it is clearly a hand-held part. YAY

Yup, confirmed ... Both the Wolfman from Monster Fighters and Wolverine share the same claws, with them being clip in to the hand rather than moulded into the arm, a la the boxer
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby THX 1138 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:37 pm

emmtwosix wrote:
GIR3691 wrote:The problem with Iron Man's helmet is that it is too human face-like. Unlike Stormtrooper helmets and the like, Iron Man's helmet is very human-like in shape. They should REALLY have gone cylindrical rather than giving it sculpted cheekbones and a pronounced forehead. Batman's cowl works because it is stylized enough to look like LEGO. ...

With Iron Man, it's odd when LEGO tries to make things too realistic. It just looks wrong, and doesn't jive with the aesthetic LEGO has created in its general style.

(...)

It reminds me of the Ebay auctions I used to see all the time where "custom" minifigures had 3.75" action figure heads slapped on them. It looks awful. Creepy and distinctly not LEGO-style. I am severely disappointed with how awful the Iron Man minifigure is.

I'd much have preferred something like this, compared to an over-sized and over-sculped abomination.
Image ...

Completely agree. The Batman cowl is LEGO. You aren't going to mistake it for something else, even if it's blown up to 100 times it's original size. If you put that thing on at Halloween you wouldn't be Batman, you would be LEGO Batman.

scandell wrote:How does C3P0's head fit into this conversation?

I think C-3P0's head works because it's to scale and has lost enough detail in the "shrinking process" to fit well within the LEGO style. If Iron Man's helmet WAS his head - a custom head mold, like C-3P0's - it would probably look great, but as a helmet that has to go over a minifig head, it's way too big.

With all that said, I still think it looks good by itself, just out of place on the minifig.

I think that for Iron Man, they should've used a normal motorcycle helmet and made a new visor piece. That way, they could've made its shape a bit more accurate than that of a minifig head, but it would still look more Lego-like. It would also have been an easy way to let his visor open.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby Marty » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Well.. today found all the Superhero sets but the funhouse in Big W & target stores today.
I was quite surprised as I thought that given the new SW sets has just come out I was sure we wouldn't see these until the end of Feb. But we did, and I'm pleased to say I managed to get them this time.
Now for the bad news, there wasn't that many sets and for a new release you'd think there would be plenty?
Most of the superman sets "flew?" off the shelves, seriously!
The one I was most interested in the bat car I picked up on sale at $88AUD most places had it at $99?
What I loved about the set was the two-face coin, two-face another story, as for the cars they're nothing special, and thats really sad, as I had high hopes they would re-release a rework of the older set as it was heaps better, luckily I have the designs and was able to build something close from most of the parts.
As for the bat cave, it's interesting, small and not as detailed as the original, but it has it's good points, Batman changing for one, and a nice idea too.
I think though, they could had added more to it.
As for the Batwing, it's a disappointment that's all I have to say & cat woman, where are the eye stickers on her bike like the old one, I thought these where cute.
As for the funhouse, I didn't see it and I'm hoping it's not a TRU exclusive, as that would just be so wrong.
On a personnel note, I really would like to see Lego rethink their design on these sets, add possibly villains we haven't seen before, and do something good with freeze and scarecrow, the funhouse was a good start and please bring back the asylum.
Marty

Postby JamesBenjamin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:51 am

I've only seen the funhouse at TRU, though presumably you can get it at a Lego store, as well.
JamesBenjamin

Postby Gooker1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:35 am

New images are in thanks to someone at Rebelscum. These look official due to the graphics.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070412-3/

And more images from Toy Fair courtesy of Toynewsi:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=2012_Toy_Fair%2FLego&dispsize=800&start=240

They have the LOTR, SW sets too. Looks soooo good!! This is one very expensive year. gorram you Lego!!! ::shakes fist::

Bring on Deadpool and Magneto! Sooo Excited!!!
Gooker1

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:13 pm

The Toy Fair promo Iron Man is mocking me.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby bigospedros » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Hmm ... the figs shown in New York seems to be a bit preliminary ... I don't recall Ironman's helmet being that rough looking and I'm sure Hulk had a face when I saw them in London!
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:03 pm

The Iron Man helmet and the Hulk that were on display were painted prototypes, not final molded elements.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby bigospedros » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:04 am

Strange that London and Germany had the final ones and New York didn't ... glad that we had UK coverage, now ... even if it was only with words! Without pics, it's difficult to know if the final Ironman helmet is smaller ... I really don't recall it looking as big as the prototype
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes