Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO's Next Precious: LEGO Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO's Next Precious: LEGO Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit

Postby Staff » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:25 am

You saw this coming, right? It seems like a perfect fit to me after LEGO basically dumped it's Pirates theme to make room for Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean line. They're obviously looking for popular licenses that can enhance if not replace their own similar themes (don't worry, I doubt Castle/Kingdoms is going anywhere). Since the article went live on Variety at midnight the web has been abuzz with salivating fans. Here's the skinny:

BILLUND, Denmark and Burbank, CA – December 16, 2011 – Warner Bros. Consumer Products and The LEGO Group announced today a partnership that awards the world’s leading construction toy brand exclusive rights to develop build-and-play construction sets based on THE LORD OF THE RINGS™ trilogy and the two films based on THE HOBBIT™. The multi-year licensing agreement grants access to the library of characters, settings, and stories for THE LORD OF THE RINGS property, as well as films The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again. LEGO® THE LORD OF THE RINGS construction sets are slated for a rolling global launch beginning in June 2012 in the United States, with LEGO THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY scheduled for later in the year.

“Only LEGO, with their expertise in the construction category, is capable of doing justice to the incredibly imaginative environments depicted in the world of THE LORD OF THE RINGS and the two films based on THE HOBBIT,” said Karen McTier, executive vice president, domestic licensing and worldwide marketing, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “These films give life to amazing worlds and characters and we are thrilled to bring fans these products that deliver an imaginative play experience befitting of these beloved properties.”

The LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS collection will translate into LEGO form the epic locations, scenes and characters of Middle-earth as depicted in all three films, including The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

In late 2012, LEGO THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY will give fans of all ages a chance to build and play out the fantastical story and new characters of the legendary Middle-earth adventures depicted in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey from Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson, slated to premiere December 14, 2012.

“Our collaboration with Warner Bros. Consumer Products has delivered numerous worldwide successes in the construction toy aisle with lines like LEGO HARRY POTTER and LEGO BATMAN, introducing us to loyal audiences who love great stories, strong characters and the toys that they inspire,” said Jill Wilfert, vice president, licensing and entertainment for The LEGO Group. “It’s particularly exciting to now be able to create sets based on the fantasy worlds and characters from THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy and the two films based on THE HOBBIT, not only because we know they will foster collectability and creative play, but also because these are two properties that our fans have been asking us to create for years.”

With mention of the popularity of current licensed themes and the future synergistic releases of the Marvel half of the LEGO Suoerheroes line and now LEGO Lord of the Rings due in June, I think LEGO is making a strategic strike to rule the toy aisle in 2012. While I doubt next year will mark the end of the world, It will certainly bring about the destruction of my wallet.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/12/16/legos-ne ... he-hobbit/
Last edited by Draykov on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: unstickied - most recent post over 3 months ago
Staff

Re: LEGO's Next Precious: LEGO Lord of the Rings & The Hobbi

Postby Morgan19 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:30 am

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

...will there be a LotR theme for the forums? ;)

m19
Morgan19

Postby plebeianprint » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:33 am

It's going to be a very awkward Christmas dinner if I can't pick my jaw up off of the ground by then.
plebeianprint

Postby Walter Boy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:35 am

Morgan19 wrote:Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

...will there be a LotR theme for the forums? ;)

m19

I was kinda still waiting (And hoping) for a PoTC theme on the forums. ;)
Walter Boy

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:39 am

The Licensed Themes section in the forum is going to explode in 2012, no doubt.

And if I may paraphrase:

" One ring to rule them all, one brick to bind them..."
buriedbybricks

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:43 am

This is huge news. While I have little interest in this particular license, there's no doubt that it will be immensely popular and another monster theme for LEGO. A very good move.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:59 am

But will there be a LEGO The Lord of the Rings Videogame? It seems likely, but I saw no mention of such in the announcement.
Mister Ed

Postby Chief » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:18 am

Why do you guys think Ace boosted our staff numbers so much recently? ;)
Chief

Postby GroudonMan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:25 am

Couldn't have gotten better news! Yeah! Lego now has control of my two favorite licenses of all time.

Can't wait to get Hugo Weaving's face in Lego form!
GroudonMan

Postby sparkart » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:30 am

From Bricks To Boromir?
Frodo Baggins To Bricks?
Fellowship Bricks To Build?
sparkart

Postby Chief » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:36 am

From Balrog to Bombadil :)
Chief

Postby cas » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:45 am

I'm not sure if I want to get excited for this. On one hand yay LotR! But on the other, many of Lego's recent licensed sets have been of middling quality with very few gems. Make this theme shine Lego!
cas
Staff Writer

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:47 am

I'm in the same camp as cas. At the very least, we're sure to get a score of cool new figs.
buriedbybricks

Postby ccjwprongs » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:52 am

cas wrote:I'm not sure if I want to get excited for this. On one hand yay LotR! But on the other, many of Lego's recent licensed sets have been of middling quality with very few gems. Make this theme shine Lego!

QFT. The PotC line was pretty appalling in terms of the smaller sets. The same could be said of Star Wars for the past three or four years.

Hopefully they'll take inspiration from the current Kingdoms line and previous Castle (Fantasy Era?) line to offer some decent sets at the lower price points, and not just excuses to sell minifigures.

That said, I'm looking forward to the larger offerings. Helm's Deep anyone? :D
Neeeooowwwwww
ccjwprongs

Postby Mofo Jones » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:58 am

Great news! I showed this to my wife and she looked at me like "Oh crap, do you need those too? I said no, but since I haven't seen the sets, we'll have to wait and see. I'll bet the Nazgul will look a lot like the Dementors from Harry Potter, except the Nazgul might actually have feet. I know this probably won't happen, but if LEGO released a set with all four Hobbits, I'd probably ok with just that.

Oh, and Gandalf.
And Strider.
And Elrond.
Might as well throw Legolas and Gimli in there, too.

You know, I think I'm going to be in trouble. ;)
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby alorian » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:00 am

Man, I had to actually forum register to get in on this, after lurking for ages. Lego Minas Tirith! Lego Rivendell! Lonely Mountain! Giant barrel parts big enough to fit a dwarf fig in! Riders of the Mark to add to my arsenal of Lego horses!

My desire to purchase Diagon Alley just evaporated. Instead I will be saving up for every single set in this line, for serious.

I hope they do Smaug's lair with a little transparent Bilbo and I will heap in all my extra jewels and coins for the hoard.
Last edited by alorian on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
alorian

Postby jonutah » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:17 am

Oh man, I don't think I can tell my wife (or kids). This is great news - I really hope them do it justice. There's no doubt they will be more costly than the Kingdom's sets (because of licensing), but hopefully not totally off the charts. Oh the opportunities for cool sets!!!

- Jon
jonutah

Postby onions » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:27 am

from bricks to bilbo duh...

though seeing as to how the themes will be going away, i have no idea how that's ever going to see the light of day.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Robzula » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:42 am

On the one hand, I agree with a few people before me that this could end up (at least for the The Hobbit sets) like the PotC or Cars sets where it seems like they only got some concept art to make sets based on... on the other hand who gives a frak, LotR sets! Plus they should do trilogy sets fairly well.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Next

Return to Licensed Themes